A Big Boost for Boosters

DirtyDawg

On 11/19/2021 at 8:45 AM, DirtyDawg said:

According to the NYT the FDA in the U.S. has approved Pfizer and Moderna boosters for all adults. If the CDC agrees booster shots could start this weekend. With the PCR test requirement being dropped for short visits, will we be seeing a boost in booster shopping this Christmas season by Canadians living near the border?

If Ontario does not act soon to approve boosters, Mrs. Dawg and I will be winging it down to Buffalo for a booster shot, some Duff's wings, and maybe even a Bill's game. 

Strikes me as a silly response. Given the ON vaccination rollout, the province will almost certainly have opened booster shots by the time various groups get to the six month post 2nd shot timeframe.

I have lots of arguments with ON on its handling of pandemic issues, but this is not one of them.

48 minutes ago, broberts said:

Strikes me as a silly response. Given the ON vaccination rollout, the province will almost certainly have opened booster shots by the time various groups get to the six month post 2nd shot timeframe.

I have lots of arguments with ON on its handling of pandemic issues, but this is not one of them.

FWIW, DW and I were easily able to get appointments for our booster shots for the day following the six month wait. Unlike the difficulty experienced getting appointments in a timely manner for our 1st and 2nd shots, this was so quick and easy. Barring a sudden disruption in the supply chain, I too think that the shots will be available for each age group as their six months are up.

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Mrs. Dawg is over 8 months since her second shot and she is not in an eligible group for boosters as of yet. Apparently there are a good number of people in this situation who were lucky enough to be in the first wave of Covid shots but are not eligible for boosters just yet. I'll be at the six month mark in about two weeks. So if the Province hasn't made our demographic eligible for the booster before our AI at Christmas, Buffalo here we come! 

But I do agree with you, with way the Bills are playing recently, it would be silly to go to a Bills game, especially in December. 🥶 

But it is blasphemy to say that Duff's wings are silly. 🤬

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

FWIW, DW and I were easily able to get appointments for our booster shots for the day following the six month wait. Unlike the difficulty experienced getting appointments in a timely manner for our 1st and 2nd shots, this was so quick and easy. Barring a sudden disruption in the supply chain, I too think that the shots will be available for each age group as their six months are up.

I really hope so, my 6 month date is December 15th (I am 59) and I have B2B cruise booked on Jan 15th. Would feel better if I had my booster...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LouTheGlue said:

I really hope so, my 6 month date is December 15th (I am 59) and I have B2B cruise booked on Jan 15th. Would feel better if I had my booster...

I thought a person had to be 70 yrs of age and 6 months past the 2nd shot to get the booster?  Have they lowered the age requirement, or are you simply wishing you could get a booster?

3 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I thought a person had to be 70 yrs of age and 6 months past the 2nd shot to get the booster?  Have they lowered the age requirement, or are you simply wishing you could get a booster?

No rules have not changed, someone commented that maybe all can get the booster at the 6 month mark. I'm just stating I hope I can get the booster at 6 month mark.

As the new ICES preliminary Ontario data has yet to be peer-reviewed, and the methodology, size and scope of the study hasn't been published, I think I'll stick with my plans to get my booster shot. Studies in the UK, Israel and the US have all found that infections and severe COVID-19 cases exhibit a statistically significant increase as time from a second vaccine dose elapsed, so I'm not about to base my decision on getting a booster shot on a single outlier report from Ontario.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As the new ICES preliminary Ontario data has yet to be peer-reviewed, and the methodology, size and scope of the study hasn't been published, I think I'll stick with my plans to get my booster shot. Studies in the UK, Israel and the US have all found that infections and severe COVID-19 cases exhibit a statistically significant increase as time from a second vaccine dose elapsed, so I'm not about to base my decision on getting a booster shot on a single outlier report from Ontario.

My point is that I wouldn’t to rushing off to States to get a booster , more risk get Covid in the US . 

like a story on the weekend were a guy was going to take child to the US to get vaccinated, because he did want waiting a week or two to get a shot here 

20 hours ago, LouTheGlue said:

No rules have not changed, someone commented that maybe all can get the booster at the 6 month mark. I'm just stating I hope I can get the booster at 6 month mark.

If you received two doses of the AZ vaccine or the J&J one-dose vaccine, or if you’re 70 yrs of age, or if you’re a health care worker, or if you are Inuit, Métis, etc. …..then Ontario says you can get a booster 6 months after your last vaccine.  Ontario feels that these conditions make a person more vulnerable than others.  I’m interested in their research regarding the immunity starting to wane after 6 months.  Perhaps they’ll reduce the age requirement  once enough people get their boosters if they’re 70 or older.

On 11/20/2021 at 7:26 AM, Fouremco said:

It starts to get confusing when some provinces start giving full regular doses of the Moderna vaccine and call them booster shots when Moderna produces an actual 1/2 dose booster vaccine.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, Froufie said:

The Moderna booster shot will be half a dose, Health Canada said in a news release on Friday. That differs from the Pfizer booster, which is a full dose. "A COVID-19 booster shot is an extra dose of the vaccine given after completion of the primary vaccine series," the news release said.

Either Moderna Spikevax or Pfizer-BioNTech Comirnaty vaccines may be used as a booster dose (regardless of which COVID-19 vaccine was used in the primary series). As previously recommended, adults living in long-term care homes for seniors or other congregate living settings that provide care for seniors are recommended to receive the full dose (100 mcg) if being offered Moderna Spikevax. For other adults recommended to receive a booster dose, the full dose (100 mcg) is recommended for adults 70 years of age or older, if offering Moderna Spikevax, while a half dose (50 mcg) is recommended for those less than 70 years of age. If offering Pfizer-BioNTech Comirnaty, the full dose (30 mcg) is recommended.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, Airbalancer said:

My point is that I wouldn’t to rushing off to States to get a booster , more risk get Covid in the US . 

like a story on the weekend were a guy was going to take child to the US to get vaccinated, because he did want waiting a week or two to get a shot here 

We didn't rush, we calmly flew to Houston to get our booster shot along with some pre Black Friday deals. But just a comment that Kohls had a limited selection due to the supply chain issue.

18 minutes ago, Magicat said:

We didn't rush, we calmly flew to Houston to get our booster shot along with some pre Black Friday deals. But just a comment that Kohls had a limited selection due to the supply chain issue.

I must admit, If we wing it down to Buffalo for booster shots we might 'rush' a tiny bit down the QEW. Going 100 km/h on that road will get me passed by Octogenarian drivers!  

Vroom Vroom!🏎️ 🏎️

LOL... this is the ONLY time I wished I was 70!!! So as I wait, I dream of wings, Chico's, outlet mall, & Olive Garden, cause that's where I am headed when the booster hits my arm. Only waiting for a booster to have a wee bit more of the mRNA coursing thru my veins and lymph nodes!!!!!!!

fyi, I spent last week in Niagara on the Lake. Almost zilch traffic going into the US on any of the bridges.

Guess we are all waiting to save the $199. PCR test costs.

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I must admit, If we wing it down to Buffalo for booster shots we might 'rush' a tiny bit down the QEW. Going 100 km/h on that road will get me passed by Octogenarian drivers!  

Vroom Vroom!🏎️ 🏎️

I see what you did there sliding in a "wing" reference going to Buffalo. 

I'm sure you all heard about the relaxation of the need for a PCR upon return to Canada at the land border for trips less than 72 hours.  Well, because of the massive floods here in BC, things began to be in short supply, gasoline and milk being two of them.  Our acting Premier decided that people could go down immediately to the US for emergency supplies only (no Black Friday shopping).  Several took advantage of that new order and went down, staying only long enough to gas up and get some milk!  Well, I don't know where the Cdn border guards spend their time, but definitely not listening to the news.  Coming back into Canada, these people got the shock of their lives and were fined $5700 for not getting the PCR!  You'd think the border guards would have made some enquiry since there were several coming back with their milk etc.  Communication is everything.  Fines have been rescinded since these people did nothing wrong.

7 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I'm sure you all heard about the relaxation of the need for a PCR upon return to Canada at the land border for trips less than 72 hours.  Well, because of the massive floods here in BC, things began to be in short supply, gasoline and milk being two of them.  Our acting Premier decided that people could go down immediately to the US for emergency supplies only (no Black Friday shopping).  Several took advantage of that new order and went down, staying only long enough to gas up and get some milk!  Well, I don't know where the Cdn border guards spend their time, but definitely not listening to the news.  Coming back into Canada, these people got the shock of their lives and were fined $5700 for not getting the PCR!  You'd think the border guards would have made some enquiry since there were several coming back with their milk etc.  Communication is everything.  Fines have been rescinded since these people did nothing wrong.

CBSA takes its direction from Ottawa, not local politicians. Your acting Premier should have made the necessary arrangements with the feds first instead of making a unilateral decision and announcing it to the public. Official communication is the key, not what you hear on the tv or radio.

I'm very glad to hear that the fines were subsequently rescinded.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

CBSA takes its direction from Ottawa, not local politicians. Your acting Premier should have made the necessary arrangements with the feds first instead of making a unilateral decision and announcing it to the public. Official communication is the key, not what you hear on the tv or radio.

I'm very glad to hear that the fines were subsequently rescinded.

It wasn't unilateral. It was announced by Bill Blair, who is a Federal minister.

2 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

It wasn't unilateral. It was announced by Bill Blair, who is a Federal minister.

Thanks for the additional information, that puts a completely different spin on things. It now appears that the communications problem was between Blair's office and the CBSA.