Claiming VAT on goods after Brexit

The Wolfman

My wife and I will be going to Marseille on a cruise next year for our 25th wedding anniversary. She has set her sights on buying a Chanel handbag which I understand is in the region of £5000. I’ve done some research and understand that we can get the VAT back on the bag and Chanel are very experienced in completing the appropriate paperwork at the point of sale. The problem I’m encountering is that the next part of the jigsaw seems to be that you have to present the goods and receipt at a customs point at the exit to the country. Now of course this is easy in an airport but I’m not finding much information about how to do this if one is a cruise passenger. I would really appreciate any thoughts and guidance on this please as VAT on £5000 amounts to quite a few pounds.

1 hour ago, The Wolfman said:

My wife and I will be going to Marseille on a cruise next year for our 25th wedding anniversary. She has set her sights on buying a Chanel handbag which I understand is in the region of £5000. I’ve done some research and understand that we can get the VAT back on the bag and Chanel are very experienced in completing the appropriate paperwork at the point of sale. The problem I’m encountering is that the next part of the jigsaw seems to be that you have to present the goods and receipt at a customs point at the exit to the country. Now of course this is easy in an airport but I’m not finding much information about how to do this if one is a cruise passenger. I would really appreciate any thoughts and guidance on this please as VAT on £5000 amounts to quite a few pounds.

Contact point.

https://customsnduty.com/france-customs-office-marseille-port-bureau-france/

Think the French TVA (VAT) is about 21%

There is also the little matter of UK duty when importing goods.

Extract from gov.uk website

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).

If you go over your allowance you pay tax and duty on the total value of the goods, not just the value above the allowance.

You may have to pay import VAT and customs duty if you exceed your allowance.

Brian

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

£5000 😲

It would be cheaper to take a cruise to Kusadasi and visit the genuine fake Chanel handbag shop. It just over the road from the genuine fake Rolex shop 😉

Got my genuine Prada shoes there 10 years ago,still going strong.Listen for the sales pitch "hey big b----x Asda price."

Edited by brian1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As my DW says, the main difference between Prada and Nada, is “the owner knows”.

TBH, the leather is as soft as kid gloves and the soles have no signs of wear,although they may be made of old tractor tyres.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Wolfman said:

Is it worth the hassle to recover the 21% VAT in France and then pay the 20% VAT when you arrive back in the UK? (I am assuming that you are not intending to break the law by smuggling it back into the UK).

7 minutes ago, picsa said:

Is it worth the hassle to recover the 21% VAT in France and then pay the 20% VAT when you arrive back in the UK? (I am assuming that you are not intending to break the law by smuggling it back into the UK).

There are probably illegal chanels to do that.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Wolfman said:

You will need to pay VAT when you bring it into the UK.

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

£5000 😲

It would be cheaper to take a cruise to Kusadasi and visit the genuine fake Chanel handbag shop. It just over the road from the genuine fake Rolex shop 😉

No need to buy a fake. The African market traders in Vigo sell genuine ones for a tenner.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, picsa said:

If you check on line I am sure someone will be offering them cheaper than in France, and maybe even with a black friday discount.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you check on line I am sure someone will be offering them cheaper than in France, and maybe even with a black friday discount.

But then you can't tell folk that you Paid £5k in the Chanel shop. I got this for a hundred quid on eBay don't have the same effect

Obviously. The OP is looking to secure a new limited edition release.  However, it is known limited editions sell out quickly to collectors, aficionados and those wanting to sell on at a profit.  Therefore, suggest the OP opens a dialogue with the Marseille outlet, to ensure the required piece, or pieces, are reserved and available on arrival.

I've claimed VAT back twice on cruises.

Norway the Customs Officer came on board, you presented the paperwork and they paid you there and then.

Iceland the retailer provided a duplicate receipt and the form and envelope.  Form filled in and envelope dropped in a postbox at the port office.  Many weeks later there was a credit to the account details provided.

Needless to say this was about 10 years ago and there are now various eu vat back apps:

https://www.globalblue.com/tax-free-shopping/traveller-app1

https://savintaxfree.com/en/

There is usually a service charge payable which reduces your refund so you need to check this detail.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Forgive me, but I just cannot believe paying £5K for a handbag!!

For some, this is just an entry level price.

Same goes for a good piece of jewellery, or car, a house, or a cruise.

If it’s what one wishes and the price is X and if one is happy to pay, then so be it.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

33 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

If it’s what one wishes and the price is X and if one is happy to pay, then so be it.

One is constantly amazed by just how much money appears to be sloshing around.

But we have always remarked that the jewellery shops etc on the ships and in the Caribbean would not be there unless they returned a hansom profit for all concerned.

Yet other commentators say the country is on its knees. I guess it will always be the same.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Oh I agree, but I just can't fathom that a handbag can cost £5K.  Jewellery - yes.  Would anyone know it wasn't a fake one?  i wouldn't.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1