Favorite "premium" line?

CruiserLucas

First, I hope this is in the right spot - this is about our first time for both a Mediterranean cruise and on a premium line... If anything is unclear in my question that follows, please let me know, I'm happy to clarify any info. TIA

What is your preferred or favorite "premium" line, especially for the Mediterranean? We've been on Carnival several times, and will be on Royal in February, but for our first Mediterranean cruise we want to treat ourselves a bit more. 

And any first time in the Med tips?

10 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

First, I hope this is in the right spot - this is about our first time for both a Mediterranean cruise and on a premium line... If anything is unclear in my question that follows, please let me know, I'm happy to clarify any info. TIA

What is your preferred or favorite "premium" line, especially for the Mediterranean? We've been on Carnival several times, and will be on Royal in February, but for our first Mediterranean cruise we want to treat ourselves a bit more. 

And any first time in the Med tips?

Check out the CC forums on Oceania Cruises. Ships are <700 and <1200 passengers. Mostly inclusive pricing including airfare (or air credit), beverages, internet, all specialty restaurants, great space and crew ratios, smoking restrictions. Add choice of included tours, booze or SBC. AND, of course, the “finest cuisine at sea”™️
Compare the bottom line cost with mass market lines and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

@Flatbush Flyer Thanks for that recommendation! And not to mention in the test booking I'm looking at, $200/person roundtrip airfare including transfers to Europe???!!! When you figure the "base fare" is including the up-charged amenities on other lines, it really is a good deal to consider on that airfare cost alone IMO.

51 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

@Flatbush Flyer Thanks for that recommendation! And not to mention in the test booking I'm looking at, $200/person roundtrip airfare including transfers to Europe???!!! When you figure the "base fare" is including the up-charged amenities on other lines, it really is a good deal to consider on that airfare cost alone IMO.

I had the same “aha!” moment a decade ago and would now never consider a mass market line - just on the bottom line cost comparison with Oceania alone.

Welcome aboard!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Viking, Regent, Oceana, Silversea, Saga

Go with whichever one seems likely to suit you best

I'm not understanding if these are all your favorites; or you're suggesting I not ask which are other's favorites and just choose randomly?

52 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

I'm not understanding if these are all your favorites; or you're suggesting I not ask which are other's favorites and just choose randomly?

They're all good, but have different characteristics and price points. Our favourite is Viking, taking everything into account. Being UK we get included air, gratuities and often the drinks package, also later final payments, which levels the playing field. 

Oceana is generally thought to have the best food, Saga is very British traditional with a ballroom, Regent has formal nights, Viking has no children and is all balcony etc. Some include everything, some don't include some things. You might find a lower grade cabin on one better than a higher on another, or vice versa. Work out the total cost to get the vacation you want, rather than getting hung up on included things you may not use, or for example, paying a lot more to get included laundry, when it would cost less to pay as you go. 

Have a look at the comparison threads and the boards for the lines, and itinerarys. These lines tend to be port intensive, and they will go to similar places in the Med, so decide on which ports you might like, you are unlikely to find a cruise covering all of it, unless you do a back to back. What you want/don't want on the ship, and any other priorities. 

If you give us an indication of your interests we can have a go at suggesting ports. At the moment a big consideration is which countries are less/more likely to have covid restrictions. 

28 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

FWIW: The term “premium” is not some designation awarded/assigned by any bona fide maritime and/or hospitality organization following an analysis of specific criteria thresholds. Rather, it is a designation that, over time has been repeated often by industry critics and publications reviewing a particular cruise line. 

For example, it has long been clear that lines like Azamara and Oceania have a very distinct product with high quality, mostly inclusive offerings on small ships and an exemplary hallmark (e.g., Oceania’s “finest cuisine at sea”  motto- agreed to by most reputable food publications).

And, again in the case of Oceania, what differentiates it from its sister “luxury” line Regent is the degree of “product inclusivity” (I.e., all-inclusive vs options with a resulting major price difference that IMO makes O a far better value for many of its “regulars”).

And then there’s the “wannabes.” For example, when Viking started its Ocean operation, it self-declared itself “premium” in a barrage of print and TV media. Even now, with the sale of Azamara, it’s clear that RCCL is also trying to market Celebrity as something it has yet to demonstrate. 

BTW: , I find it interesting that we have no idea of what will happen with Azamara given that it’s new owner (Sycamore Partners) has zero cruise industry experience. And I have it on good authority that Viking is now “for sale.” Meantime, Oceania has two new ships in the works. 

That said: Your choice doesn’t have to be random. But, it may require both perusing/following the various CC forums/threads about the lines you are considering and even trying a few to compare for yourself. IMO though, try Oceania first. You may find yourself needing to look no further.

8 hours ago, CruiserLucas said:

If you are really interested in premium lines as opposed to someone's favorites, you should not ask about "other's favorites" on a site like this -- more than one is likely to come up with NCL.  You should make it clear that you want "better than average".

I would add Crystal to those named.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, crusingrightnow said:

Who is the best premium cruise line out of all of those? 

Depends on the individual priorities of the passenger, their budget, preferred room type, itinerary, facilities on board and the intangibles such as decor, the atmosphere on board etc

No one line is 'best' for everyone

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:45 AM, KBs mum said:

An excellent statement.  Some cruisers keep returning to the same cruise line again and again and again, etc. with the thought that "that line is the best" for them.  (That's been a large part of my cruising history.)  Well, it was/is, but, curiosity has gotten the best of me and I find that I enjoy other cruise lines as well.  

The term "premium" really has no meaning for me.  Carnival's main theater entertainment is now more "premium" than HAL.  MSC's Yacht Club is more "premium" than a Neptune Suite on HAL.  HAL's Dive-in is more "premium" than such venues on other ships on which I have sailed.  There are other comparisons that I could make, but, I think whomever reads this post will "get the idea" of what I am saying.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:45 AM, KBs mum said:

Depends on the individual priorities of the passenger, their budget, preferred room type, itinerary, facilities on board and the intangibles such as decor, the atmosphere on board etc

And the "individual priorities" of the passenger may include passenger mix.  Average age and predominant nationality, socializing characteristics, etc, which go beyond the service, cuisine, entertainment, etc. which the line directly provides.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what the term "Premium Line" means.  Some folks such as Flatbush Flyer would quickly mention Oceania or perhaps Viking Ocean Cruises or Azamara which are probably the only 3 cruise lines associated with the term "Premium Line."  That assumes that you accept that there are a few cruise lines that fall somewhere between to the so-called "mass market lines" and what I call the "Luxury or even Ultra-Luxury Lines."   That latter category would include the highest quality lines such as Silverseas, Seabourn, Crystal, Regent, Sea Dream, and Hapag LLoyd.  

Just some thoughts about all these various categories.  One might want to consider their own financial situation (some folks have little concern about money) and itinerary.  So while we might be inclined to cruise on a mass market line for a very port intensive itinerary (because of spending little waking time on the ship) we might opt for ultra-luxury on a cruise with lots of sea days or relatively short port stays.  One should also consider their own "wants."  Oceania fans like to trumpet the excellent cuisine on that line but some folks might not think a nice dinner is worth a few hundred dollars a day more then you would pay on a mass market line.  And when looking at the Luxury segment the cost per passenger day can often exceed $600 which is hundreds of more dollars (per passenger day) then you would pay for a normal balcony cabin on a mass market line.  

On a personal basis, DW and I truly enjoy variety and find ourselves booking mass market, so-called premium, and also some ultra-luxury lines.  We look forward to our cruises on the mass market lines as much as we do on the ultra luxury lines although we do adjust our expectations accordingly.  One possible compromise is with the so-called "ship within a ship" options that exist on a few lines such as Cunard, NCL, MSC, and the newer Epic Class of Celebrity.  Arguably the "ship within a ship" can offer the best of both worlds (i.e. the luxury small ship experience coupled with the amenities only found on the huge megaships).

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Arguably the "ship within a ship" can offer the best of both worlds (i.e. the luxury small ship experience coupled with the amenities only found on the huge megaships).

That concept is what enticed me to book MSC YC on Meraviglia.  Agree, it offered the best of both worlds.  I disembarked the ship as a very satisfied cruiser.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I'm a devoted Crystal sail-er, in large part because of the way they treat solo passengers, but I agree that one size doesn't fit all and no one line will suit everyone.  Prioritize what you're looking for and what you think you'll use/appreciate most, and go from there. 

Important to me?

Excellent food and long/unusual itineraries on small ships with favorable crew and space ratios and stellar service at a value laden price. Oceania checks off all those boxes. And, if you’re a single cruiser, look at the new Vista ship which has some single staterooms!

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And, if you’re a single cruiser, look at the new Vista ship which has some single staterooms!

I'm weird -- ahem, I'm unusual -- in that I don't want single staterooms, or any singles programming.  I want to be treated just like every other passenger on the ship.   That's not a slight against Oceania, as I've never sailed with her, just a conceptual point. 

2 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I'm weird -- ahem, I'm unusual -- in that I don't want single staterooms, or any singles programming.  I want to be treated just like every other passenger on the ship.   That's not a slight against Oceania, as I've never sailed with her, just a conceptual point. 

So, just book a regular cabin (Vista is the only O ship with several single cabins added in this mew build) because folks kept asking for them.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, calliopecruiser said:

I'm a devoted Crystal sail-er, in large part because of the way they treat solo passengers, but I agree that one size doesn't fit all and no one line will suit everyone.  Prioritize what you're looking for and what you think you'll use/appreciate most, and go from there. 

Not sure you have seen the latest news regarding Crystal, but it is not good.  Genting Hong Kong (the owners of Crystal) have run out of cash and has essentially gone bankrupt (although the terminology is somewhat different in their home country).  The future of Crystal is now a big question mark although they will likely be acquired by somebody.  Speaking of Crystal we always considered this a true Luxury Line as opposed to a so-called Premium Line.

Hank

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Not sure you have seen the latest news regarding Crystal

Yes, I have :(   I have a cruise booked for the end of November, and I was getting quite excited about it, as it will be my first cruise in almost 3 years.  I hope it's at least picked up by someone who will be slow to make many changes.