Germany moves to Level 4 for US citizens - very high risk

Coral

20 hours ago, rfamily6 said:

Currently scheduled to leave Budapest on Viking December 12th.  The purpose for doing this cruise was to experience the Christmas markets.  All the markets along the route have been canceled as they are located in Bavaria, with the exception of Vienna. Only the markets in Budapest are open.  Vienna is on lockdown and all shops and restaurants are closed.  Authorities will reassess on the 13th, but friends that live there expect the lockdown to be extended.  Not exactly sure what what we will do for two days in Vienna besides sit on the boat and that’s not what I paid for.  With the numbers continuing to increase throughout Germany, we are thinking we should probably cancel as it appears things may get more restrictive.  Thoughts? 

Six of us are booked on a Brussels to Amsterdam starting December 13-20 with Tauck.  We are facing similar decisions. My cousin and I have made decision not to go but hoping Tauck will cancel. Don’t think it would be a very enjoyable trip with all the uncertainties. Our trip was booked January 2019 for 2020.  2022 trips are already full so I’m not interested in 2023.  We did a similar trip you are supposed to do 4 years ago and loved the area we visited. Such a disappointment…

Increased restrictions. Baden-Württemberg and Rhineland-Palatinate only allow museum visits for the vaccinated or recovered. You may be denied entry if you have no valid QR Code, a paper CDC card may very well not be sufficient. Both states are on warning level 2.

Official buildings in Rhineland-Palatinate like citizen's bureau or library now require vaccination, recovery or test. Exempt are very few people with a doctor's certificate and children.

3G rule in public transport. Check DB and regional providers if you need to use that.

The vaccinated roam free for soon probably only 270 days as suggested by "ze wannabe big boss EU". Will see how that goes. The recovered are still put in the unvaccinated herd after six months despite virologists suggesting eight months is scientifically valid.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

43 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Increased restrictions. Baden-Württemberg and Rhineland-Palatinate only allow museum visits for the vaccinated or recovered. You may be denied entry if you have no valid QR Code, a paper CDC card may very well not be sufficient. Both states are on warning level 2.

Official buildings in Rhineland-Palatinate like citizen's bureau or library now require vaccination, recovery or test. Exempt are very few people with a doctor's certificate and children.

3G rule in public transport. Check DB and regional providers if you need to use that.

The vaccinated roam free for soon probably only 270 days as suggested by "ze wannabe big boss EU". Will see how that goes. The recovered are still put in the unvaccinated herd after six months despite virologists suggesting eight months is scientifically valid.

notamermaid

Thanks notamermaid for the update.  I was concerned that my paper CDC card might not be accepted.  I'm still waiting for AMA Waterways to make a decision on my Dec. 11th Christmas market cruise. 

On 11/27/2021 at 7:22 PM, Blue Eyes said:

Six of us are booked on a Brussels to Amsterdam starting December 13-20 with Tauck.  We are facing similar decisions. My cousin and I have made decision not to go but hoping Tauck will cancel. Don’t think it would be a very enjoyable trip with all the uncertainties. Our trip was booked January 2019 for 2020.  2022 trips are already full so I’m not interested in 2023.  We did a similar trip you are supposed to do 4 years ago and loved the area we visited. Such a disappointment…

I moved my Amsterdam - Brussels starting Dec. 6 with Tauck right before final payment.  Too much to deal with and I was afraid of getting stuck.  Dec. 6 date next year was fully booked so I had to take the Dec. 20 date which means spending Christmas in Antwerp.  I think Tauck should cancel as the situation worsens by the day.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zermatt said:

Thanks notamermaid for the update.  I was concerned that my paper CDC card might not be accepted.  I'm still waiting for AMA Waterways to make a decision on my Dec. 11th Christmas market cruise. 

I need to be more precise. Due to problems with fraud, institutions have moved to only accepting the standard yellow vaccine certificate/booklet in connection with an ID card/passport. QR code appears to be the preferred proof. It could vary from place to place, but things are certainly getting stricter. So the CDC card will be at least confusing, but may be accepted as long as you have a passport on you - or it may not. Oh, and there is actually a fine involved if you do not comply.

12 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm losing hope of ever being able to travel abroad again.  My calendar is nothing but postponements and disappointments.  

I am really sorry for you. Crossing a border is kind of easy for me as a three hour car ride will get me there. But the hassle of staying overnight in a foreign country even I find a bit much.

The Christmas markets along the Rhine are still on and things are manageable but who knows for how long?

Many have moved to at least partially, if not fully, 2G rule. That means only the vaccinated or recovered. Perhaps they have a chance under the regulations that the states have put in place. The problem is the eating and drinking, i.e. taking your mask off. Some markets and towns have non-food and a few food stalls that they have spread out over a large area and there you do not have the strict rules. No idea if that will still be possible when the situation deteriorates.

France and Belgium may well have different rules that can of course also change as December progresses. Brussels is using the 3G rule: https://www.brussels.be/winter-wonders?_ga=2.142814325.1927830497.1638223852-716396863.1638223852

notamermaid

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coral said:

I stopped scheduling things.

I think if I did that I would seriously go down the road of depression. Booking no, but scheduling I need. But I understand you doing that.

I have taken time off work and due to personal circumstances I am thinking of not returning this year.

This situation is moving to a way of life in which the highlight of the week is a trip to a supermarket 30km away that I have never been to.

notamermaid

• Like 3

So sad that the world is not past this pandemic.  We were on an AMA ship 2 weeks ago just before Amsterdam added restrictions.  There were 20 passengers and a crew of 42.  My heart breaks from the crew who were so happy to be working again.  The tour guides and bus drivers couldn’t thank us enough for traveling.   It has been a long hard road for many of them without tourists.  Our joy of travel is their livelihood.  We were blessed to get in and out of Europe before this spike and hopefully will get to return again.  So many people depend upon us to survive.  The world is an amazing place, let’s have hope that those of us who tackle the red tape, paperwork, and uncertainty will once again experience other cultures and wonderful people.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I think if I did that I would seriously go down the road of depression. Booking no, but scheduling I need. But I understand you doing that.

I have taken time off work and due to personal circumstances I am thinking of not returning this year.

This situation is moving to a way of life in which the highlight of the week is a trip to a supermarket 30km away that I have never been to.

notamermaid

You are not scheduling trips to the US or Asia. I think that is the difference. It is trips to Europe that I have stopped scheduling. Too many moving pieces and too much money involved to have things uncertain.

25 minutes ago, Coral said:

You are not scheduling trips to the US or Asia. I think that is the difference. It is trips to Europe that I have stopped scheduling. Too many moving pieces and too much money involved to have things uncertain.

Absolutely. It is a bit easier for me with booking/cancelling from what I have learned on this board, as EU regulations and German consumer laws tend to be a bit more favourable than in the US. Also, my travel distances are not that large.

Mind you when the car broke down in the UK just before a British public holiday a few years ago, I was glad to have a travel agent at hand and the insurance coverage. The pandemic is a much more serious matter than just a car problem. I could go to the UK but the hassle going through three countries and crossing the channel to a country with supply issues and high Covid rates is too much to want to tackle. Especially as I can only see the big picture for the Southeast of England from here and not verify the situation on the ground, i.e. the 10 mile radius from where my holiday stay would be. No, too much to handle at this point.

Some people just get in the car or fly to wherever, us Germans like to travel, but there is too much at stake for me at home on return, too, to do that.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Absolutely. It is a bit easier for me with booking/cancelling from what I have learned on this board, as EU regulations and German consumer laws tend to be a bit more favourable than in the US. Also, my travel distances are not that large.

Mind you when the car broke down in the UK just before a British public holiday a few years ago, I was glad to have a travel agent at hand and the insurance coverage. The pandemic is a much more serious matter than just a car problem. I could go to the UK but the hassle going through three countries and crossing the channel to a country with supply issues and high Covid rates is too much to want to tackle. Especially as I can only see the big picture for the Southeast of England from here and not verify the situation on the ground, i.e. the 10 mile radius from where my holiday stay would be. No, too much to handle at this point.

Some people just get in the car or fly to wherever, us Germans like to travel, but there is too much at stake for me at home on return, too, to do that.

notamermaid

I think when you travel through out Europe, it is like us traveling through the states. Though - you are switching countries but the distance is similar. The European Union does make it easier for you to travel to other countries in the EU.

I have traveled a lot through out states so I am to the point where I want to travel more outside of the states. That is the frustrating part. There are still places in the US I haven't traveled and I probably just should focus on that. This requires less preparation on my part. A flight to Vermont is far easier than a flight to Germany.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

@Coral, I'm at the same point you are.  I was "saving" some trips I want to do in the US for when I reach the point where it's difficult for me to handle overseas travel.  I'm re-thinking that.  I've also come to the realization that my retirement next year is going to be different than what I had in mind.  So many activities I was looking forward to participating in have been postponed or canceled permanently.  

• Like 2

@Roz Coincidence or not, I was thinking about the Tauck cruise around the time you posted. I do not want to preempt Blue Eyes but the river cruise is likely to be on. This is the info from SeaTrade Cruise News, which reminded me about the Tauck Belgium cruise: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/europe/europe-river-cruise-patchwork-amid-lockdowns-and-some-christmas-markets-closures

Quote: "Tauck's other Christmas markets river cruise, 'Yuletide Spirit: Amsterdam to Brussels,' is scheduled to operate as planned."

Is Tauck banking on the Netherlands, i.e. Amsterdam, returning to half normal by 13 December? I am not that optimistic...

Brussels Christmas market is running, but who knows for how long.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

We just received word that AMA Waterways has cancelled our December 13th Iconic Christmas Market Cruise on AMA Viola.  We look forward to the 2022 Christmas Markets (it will be our 4th attempt). 🙂

May everyone have a blessed holiday where ever you are. 

Zermatt

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zermatt said:

We just received word that AMA Waterways has cancelled our December 13th Iconic Christmas Market Cruise on AMA Viola.  We look forward to the 2022 Christmas Markets (it will be our 4th attempt). 🙂

Zermatt

I am sorry to read that. A great disappointment. My best wishes to you, too.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zermatt said:

Zermatt

Where was this going?

• Like 1

Constant changes and cancellations are frustrating, but if you don't book trips you won't have any chance of taking them.  [Is that a Yogi-ism?]  We have taken two European ocean cruises this fall.  One went through six countries [UK, Spain, France, Italy, Malta, and back to UK] – in hindsight that was a risky itinerary because of so many moving parts, and we did have to get tested 8 times over its course; but it happened and mostly as originally advertised.  The second was a better model for pandemic planning:  sailing in only one country, and that one (Spain) among the most open to tourism; it also happened, as advertised.  So despite all the agita we got two wonderful experiences.  Had we cancelled, we would have nothing but regrets.

One of my friends in college said her family motto was "It is better to die of remorse than regret" ...

• Like 6

Yes, we rebooked for next year and got a full refund. We have friends that were scheduled to be on AMA Waterways and they got a cancel notification yesterday.  When we booked with Viking, we were booked under their guarantee program, which allowed us to cancel up to 24 hours prior to departure.  Now for next year, they have changed that program to only allow cancellation 14 days prior to departure.  The way events unfolded over there this year, so close to our departure date, means we would have been stuck, if they didn’t cancel the cruise.  Frankly, I was disappointed that Viking had not canceled already…when Vienna shut down. 

My government has just turned Germany into a totalitarian state with a "them and us" - a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Be aware that if you come to Germany on holiday and for some reason cannot proof your vaccination or recovered status you cannot enter a shop apart from food retail, pharmacies and other essential places.The unvaccinated can also only gather with two other people that are not from your own household. The vaccinated can roam unchecked in groups of 50 I believe.

I never thought it would get this far that we police our neighbours and friends and allow shop owners to see health data of any random person. I was warned months ago about this, never believed it and was proven wrong. It makes me really sad. :classic_sad::classic_sad: It is difficult not to start crying.

Who knows, riots may get ugly now... there are already reports of police beating protesters. Now I also understand how "unwanted" Germans must have felt in 1938.

We are also not allowed to use fireworks this New Year's Eve.

If this continues, I will emigrate. Perhaps to Peppa Pig World*.

notamermaid

*The British PM went to that theme park

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

My government has just turned Germany into a totalitarian state with a "them and us" - a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Be aware that if you come to Germany on holiday and for some reason cannot proof your vaccination or recovered status you cannot enter a shop apart from food retail, pharmacies and other essential places.The unvaccinated can also only gather with two other people that are not from your own household. The vaccinated can roam unchecked in groups of 50 I believe.

I never thought it would get this far that we police our neighbours and friends and allow shop owners to see health data of any random person. I was warned months ago about this, never believed it and was proven wrong. It makes me really sad. :classic_sad::classic_sad: It is difficult not to start crying.

Who knows, riots may get ugly now... there are already reports of police beating protesters. Now I also understand how "unwanted" Germans must have felt in 1938.

If this continues, I will emigrate.

notamermaid

notamermaid,

I'm sorry to hear this.  Please be safe.  

Zermatt

4 minutes ago, Zermatt said:

notamermaid,

I'm sorry to hear this.  Please be safe.  

Zermatt

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I am scared of being in a country again where individual freedom is curtailed. Some of the reporting before the new measures where officially announced: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/rise-german-covid-19-infections-flattens-2021-11-30/

"Some 68.5% of Germany's population of roughly 83 million have been fully vaccinated, lagging southern European countries like Portugal, Spain and France. Some 11.6% have had a booster."

Lagging behind is relative... And the word population includes all those that cannot be vaccinated (yet), which is some sick people and children mostly. I think we all know what this all leads to: booster, another booster, another booster... expiry date determined by QR code.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid