Rapid covid testing at the piers

robbber

Can someone tell me about the covid tests at the piers?  Are they doing the deep nasal cavity swabs, or just the tip of the nose?  Are you allowed to take the swab of nostril or do they do it?  I am nervous they are going to scrape my brain...lol.

Thanks

I am cruising out of new orleans this Dec.

12 minutes ago, robbber said:

Can someone tell me about the covid tests at the piers?  Are they doing the deep nasal cavity swabs, or just the tip of the nose?  Are you allowed to take the swab of nostril or do they do it?  I am nervous they are going to scrape my brain...lol.

Thanks

I am cruising out of new orleans this Dec.

Which COVID test is required depends on the cruise line. And, if you’re flying (particularly from outside the US), note that you may also need to meet additional testing/vaccination requirements.

Also, depending on the cruise line, you should check on what happens should you test positive at the pier (some cruise lines will not issue a refund if you are denied boarding dUe to a positive embarkation test and you don’t have proof of a negative result from an acceptable test done within 48-72 hour before arrival at the ship.

That last point begs the question: If an acceptable pre-embarkation test (and results) are available to you in any required 48-72 hour pre-boarding period, why ever would you wait until you arrive at the pier? Depending on when you are traveling to the pier, you might be able to do the Binax EMed Telemedicine Antigen test at home or get tested at an airport (or any other lab with guaranteed “rapid results” etc etc).

• 1 month later...

We are flying in on Friday 2/18 for 2/20 Breakaway departure.  Currently NCL is 96 hours.  So we should be tested by 3pm NY time on Wednesday 2/16. (1 hour time difference to NOLA)  If that testing is screwed up somehow, is there ability to get tested at the pier on Saturday or Sunday?

13 minutes ago, GoonerBill said:

We are flying in on Friday 2/18 for 2/20 Breakaway departure.  Currently NCL is 96 hours.  So we should be tested by 3pm NY time on Wednesday 2/16. (1 hour time difference to NOLA)  If that testing is screwed up somehow, is there ability to get tested at the pier on Saturday or Sunday?

Depends on the cruise line and/or the port authority as regards who offers what or requires what. 
Are you following your “roll call” here on CC? Also, contact your cruise line, which (if testing is provided/required) will probably send you an email to preregister.

2 hours ago, GoonerBill said:

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Depends on the cruise line and/or the port authority as regards who offers what or requires what. 
Are you following your “roll call” here on CC? Also, contact your cruise line, which (if testing is provided/required) will probably send you an email to preregister.

2 hours ago, GoonerBill said:

Situation still fluid.   Roll Call for 2/20 very sparse.  Couple more weeks, who knows?

34 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

NCL did mention on their website that testing would be available as a last resort at the pier for $99 per person. 

NCL has decided to continue their mandatory testing for all passengers at the pier through February 28, 2022 departures. There is no additional charge for this test and no other mandatory testing.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

"Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

Cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022:
All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Any positive antigen test will be confirmed with a PCR test. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

In addition, while guests will be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival at the terminal pre-embarkation, we highly recommend that guests self-test at home prior to departure."

@GoonerBill, the 96 hour test you mention is for the purpose of NCL providing assistance with expenses not covered by the passenger's insurance for those who may test positive at the pier and are then subject to a mandatory quarantine. It is not a required test.

"Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

On 1/6/2022 at 10:52 AM, GoonerBill said:

we are cruising out of NOLA on Sunday 1/23 and flying in on Friday 1/21. I scheduled testing for my family at https://www.nolacovidtesting.com/ in NOLA for PCR. Website says results should be same day. I got the info from CC (can't remember who posted it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1