Hotel in Miami

travellgirl

We have never left from Miami before. 

We are planning on staying two nights precruise.  Was considering South Beach, but thinking downtown Miami is much better location wise.  Is that the case? 

I was looking at the Intercontinental.  Any thoughts? 
thanks so much. 

4 hours ago, travellgirl said:

We have never left from Miami before. 

We are planning on staying two nights precruise.  Was considering South Beach, but thinking downtown Miami is much better location wise.  Is that the case? 

I was looking at the Intercontinental.  Any thoughts? 
thanks so much. 

The Intercontinental is a great choice, try and get a room facing the port. Getting up early in the morning and seeing the ships lined up is nice. Both Miami Beach/South Beach are fine. Miami Beach has more to offer from a vibrant night life to loads of restaurants and shopping, plus the Art Deco buildings are nice. Downtown there's Bayside Marketplace which has shopping and restaurants ( a short walk from the Intercontinental ). The port is a 10 minute ride from the hotel and a 10 to 15 minute ride from Miami Beach, depending on where yo stay.

I will let the locals comment on SB compared to downtown.

IC is popular and some rooms offer a view of the port.  The Doubletree Biscayne and next door Marriott also offer some rooms with a view of the port.  Hotels in the Mary Brickell area (Hampton Inn, Hyatt, etc.) are often suggested on this board.

Dates, budget and some info on travelers (family? honeymoon?) would help the suggestions to be closer to your target.

South Beach has taken a bit of a dive over the last 2 years so that wouldn't be my choice of a place to stay unless I was dying to be directly on the beach.  There have been quite a few issues over there and most of my friends (locals) no longer spend time there. 

As JohninDC posted, it would be much easier to give you hotel suggestions knowing what budget you are looking for as there are just so many.  Intercontinental is a great hotel and great location because of both the benefit of downtown as well as Brickell.  It's also close to the bridge to go over to South Beach if you wish to do for a visit.  

4 hours ago, dferreira7 said:

Interested in hotel recommendations. Not worried about view. Some place clean for 1 night before and maybe 1 night after our cruise.  TIA

dan

We love the Doubletree Biscayne - quieter part of downtown but still many nearby dining options, some rooms offer a port view, great pool area, and a short ride to the port.