Flight origination

momstreat

This may seam like a crazy question.  I am asking because we are flying in February.  Our flight times don't concern me, it's the origination and stops of the flights that we are taking.  Since we leave early evening there are more chances of delays etc due to weather  I would like to know if the planes may be coming in from somewhere that have a much higher chance of snow/ice than these places do. We are looking at Southwest flights out of Greenville SC layover in Atlanta then on to Orlando.  Is there a site that I can look at that gives the origination of the plane for the day.  Like can I take my flight # and trace it backwards from GSP and the same with the ATL flight?  Like I said crazy question.  Trying to avoid BWI if possible.  Any help would be appreciated.  This may not make since.  We are cutting it close with getting to Orlando and the thought of taking the last flight out of the day really bothers me!

The issue here would be how far in advance this info would be accurate.  A plane assigned to your particular flight may come from one location today, another location yesterday,  and an entirety different location tomorrow. And if you saw the plane assignment a week from now, what are the chances it will change by day of flight?

Southwest has a fairly unique system, different from most airlines,  so maybe their assignments are more locked down. But I fly United regularly,  and the plane (and where it came from)assigned to my flights can change 2-4 times in the 24 or so hours prior to my boarding it.

4 hours ago, momstreat said:

This may seam like a crazy question.  I am asking because we are flying in February.  Our flight times don't concern me, it's the origination and stops of the flights that we are taking.  Since we leave early evening there are more chances of delays etc due to weather  I would like to know if the planes may be coming in from somewhere that have a much higher chance of snow/ice than these places do. We are looking at Southwest flights out of Greenville SC layover in Atlanta then on to Orlando.  Is there a site that I can look at that gives the origination of the plane for the day.  Like can I take my flight # and trace it backwards from GSP and the same with the ATL flight?  Like I said crazy question.  Trying to avoid BWI if possible.  Any help would be appreciated.  This may not make since.  We are cutting it close with getting to Orlando and the thought of taking the last flight out of the day really bothers me!

I would post this same question on the Cruise Air board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

That is the better place, and there is tons of airline knowledge.

I use Flight Aware all the time to see "where's my plane".  Flights coming in from actual northern airports which are ready for winter weather with snow plows and de-icing stations set up are more likely to have less delays than more southern airports hit with unusual winter weather

As mentioned above, the issue is that this information will be very hard to find this far out. Greenville will have minimal WN flights, so it's either going to come in from ATL, BWI, or HOU. But the issue is where it came to there from too, and that's going to be even harder to figure out now or even in January, because it's often inconsistent. For example, just because your aircraft goes ATL-GSP-ATL most (or even every) day, it may come to ATL from Chicago, or Fort Myers, or Dallas, and each day could be different. 

Once you get closer in, Flightaware and FlightRadar24 will be able to show it most times. But we're talking days out, not even weeks. And even then, aircraft can change and make swaps, even the day of. The plane that was going DAL-ATL-GSP may end up getting changed out for a plane going MDW-ATL-GSP.

Sorry for the lengthy answer to say "I dunno...it's tough" 🙂

• Like 1