Swimming in January in Miami

Diane67B

I am staying 2 days pre cruise in South Beach. I have heard that January is the coldest month here. Do you think the ocean will be too cold to swim in, or will we have to swim in the outdoor heated pool. Does it really get down to the teens in temperature? Anyone here been to Miami in mid January?

South Florida weather can be iffy in January and February. Cool and dry is typical, but windy and cold is not  unusual. Rarely lasts more than 3-4 days. Most hotel pools are heated.

President's Day weekend often sees a lot of vacationers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OrlandoSquirrel said:

I live in Florida and no way would you find me in the ocean in January or February. But YMMV. 

What you would do is completely irrelevant to what the OP asked. The OP asked if the ocean in January is too cold to swim in. No is the answer. There will be people swimming and surfing in January in FL, and yes they will be locals.

71° is the average ocean temp in January, which might feel cool to some Floridians, but that isn't close to too cold to swim in the ocean.

• Thanks 1

It isn 't unusual for Miami Beach ocean temp in January to be warmer than air temperatures, especially in the mornings.  That may impact how people perceive cold.

With the Gulf Stream a dozen miles off shore, the Florida ocean will always be warm by most standards.

Irrelevant tidbit, the average August water temp in Boothbay Harbor ME is 66 degrees F. And People enjoy it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...