Jewelry

Kmkub

I tried asking this on the Caribbean forum, but I've gotten no responses. Is it okay to post this question, here?

My husband and I are going to the Southern Caribbean in January. We've been to many ports in the Caribbean, but this is our first time looking for jewelry. Specifically, we need new wedding rings. 

We've no experience, and know the cruise directors love to guide you to Diamonds International and the like. 

What's the real deal with jewelry? Are the cruise lines shilling? Is there real value in buying, other than taxes? 

Any tips on getting good deals is appreciated.  Specifically, we are going to St. Thomas, Dominica, St. Lucia, Barbados & Antigua. We're looking for silver, over gold and diamonds.

Any help for this novice jewelry buyer is appreciated!

I have a friend who buys a lot of jewelry including unset stones.  He has told me the following - if you don't know about jewelry, make sure that you know your jeweler.  What do you know about any of the jewelry stores that the cruise companies recommend except that the cruise companies get paid for recommending them.  When it comes down to it, how do you know that any of the places that those of us on CC might recommend are really good.

DON

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

I tried asking this on the Caribbean forum, but I've gotten no responses. Is it okay to post this question, here?

My husband and I are going to the Southern Caribbean in January. We've been to many ports in the Caribbean, but this is our first time looking for jewelry. Specifically, we need new wedding rings. 

We've no experience, and know the cruise directors love to guide you to Diamonds International and the like. 

What's the real deal with jewelry? Are the cruise lines shilling? Is there real value in buying, other than taxes? 

Any tips on getting good deals is appreciated.  Specifically, we are going to St. Thomas, Dominica, St. Lucia, Barbados & Antigua. We're looking for silver, over gold and diamonds.

Do some in-depth research if diamonds are in the mix and, IMO, recognize that any good stuff you’ll find in the Caribbean (and most other ports that exist on tourists’ business) is NO bargain. For plain gold bands, you’d be better off waiting for a sale at Macy’s (seriously). OR you could concentrate on finding a good goldsmith and have him/her use the gold from your existing rings in a new design.

For diamonds, (again with a ton of research (both on gems and sellers), you can find far better stuff and cost in major metro cities around the world.

Thanks for the feedback. So far, it seems like I shouldn’t buy jewelry in the Caribbean.

The thing is, we don’t know jewelry or what a bargain looks like.  Given that, we obviously don’t have a jeweler we trust.

35 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

Thanks for the feedback. So far, it seems like I shouldn’t buy jewelry in the Caribbean.

The thing is, we don’t know jewelry or what a bargain looks like.  Given that, we obviously don’t have a jeweler we trust.

Find one in your local home area and read some reviews on them....that shouldn't be too hard.

• Like 2

Yes, all of the jewelry shops that you hear about on the ships pay to be heard. Now, that's not saying that they are bad, but just know what you want.

IMHO, if you are looking to buy something of value, unless you know what you are looking for and know the prices, buy it at home.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Have you checked your local jewellers?

Then you can compare prices

Best advice right here, IMO.  I understand you are focused on silver and this would certainly apply.  It is fairly easy to do and can be kind of a fun "recon" activity in preparation for your cruise.  Price is obviously important to most of us, but if you see something you like and there is some emotional value to having something bought during your trip, then go for it.    

• Like 1

It's strange to me that so many go to the Caribbean to buy jewelry.  I guess that's why we thought it was a deal.

I wonder why it's so popular. Diamonds International and a couple of the others always seem so crowded. We've never really gone in, except one time, to get a free charm.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

It's strange to me that so many go to the Caribbean to buy jewelry.  I guess that's why we thought it was a deal.

I wonder why it's so popular. Diamonds International and a couple of the others always seem so crowded. We've never really gone in, except one time, to get a free charm.

Sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself to try this “easy solution” of “follow the herd” rather than do the research. 

Why are they so seemingly “popular?” Think about it and you’ll eventually figure out that it’s something other than quality and value.

OR: Go ahead and buy one or two 5 figure items there and then have them appraised by a GIA jeweler when you get home. Sometimes, lessons learned can be expensive. 

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself to try this “easy solution” of “follow the herd” rather than do the research. 

Why are they so seemingly “popular?” Think about it and you’ll eventually figure out that it’s something other than quality and value.

OR: Go ahead and buy one or two 5 figure items there and then have them appraised by a GIA jeweler when you get home. Sometimes, lessons learned can be expensive. 

Wow. You enjoy making people feel small? You will have to be disappointed. I don’t consider asking advice on an ADVICE forum, a weakness. Also, your uneducated opinion of me is really no concern of mine.

A collective expertise is far more valuable than my 15 minute google degree. I need new wedding rings; Im not writing a dissertation on how to buy jewelry.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

Wow. You enjoy making people feel small? You will have to be disappointed. I don’t consider asking advice on an ADVICE forum, a weakness. Also, your uneducated opinion of me is really no concern of mine.

A collective expertise is far more valuable than my 15 minute google degree. I need new wedding rings; Im not writing a dissertation on how to buy jewelry.

My straightforward responses were certainly not meant to offend you. They were meant to warn you.

In any case, I gave you the same answers as others did and others will. And I told you the probable consequences if you make a significant purchase in one of several countries well known for problematic jewelry issues. 
Have you considered doing a search here on CC? Over the past few years, there have been many many threads regarding Caribbean jewelry. I expect that would be a real “eye opener.” 

People buy jewelry in the caribbean for the same reason people buy art in the cruise ship auctions. Someone has convinced them that ifs a good deal. And when they go to buy they are told they are getting a good deal. For example a $4,000 ring is marked at $8,000 but offers a 50% off discount. 50% off sounds like a great deal, but not when overly marked up.

I doubt very much that diamonds internationally has good deals. If you shop locally in the caribbean, you are likely to get lied to. For example, we stopped in a jewelry store in Cozumel once. They had a sterling silver bracelet my friend really liked. My friend was told that the price was $200. She said no. I found a pair of earrings that I liked. He ended up selling us both for under $50. Did she get an excellent deal? No. In all reality we realize the bracelet was only plated silver. But they would have been very happy to find someone to buy it for $200 and simply lie about what it was.

I don’t have tips on buying jewelry. I don’t purchase valuable jewelry. But you are much more likely to get what you think you are buying in the US. If you are knowledgeable enough to spot a fake, you may do well in a local caribbean store. But most people aren’t.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Kmkub said:

First, Diamonds International are not the same organisation as say thirty years ago.

Then, remember DI now pay the Cruise Lines “Millions of Dollars” to promote their business on the ships, but hazard a guess as from where/whom do DI seek their return on investment.  Got it in one, the punters on ships.

Now consider the Caribbean to be the Wild West when it comes to Jewellery, filled with Outlaws.

Next, if you’re not “experienced”, seek out a reliable local business who sells “Certified Diamonds”, or give a written statement as to the size, clarity, cute etc., because then you’ll have full recourse if the item is proven false.  It’s call peace of mind and you support a local Jeweller who would struggled during covid.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Cruise Lines promote “authorised” only because Jewellers pay to be authorised.  Also, there are VIP cards, special extra discounts, on and on.  But these discounts are on already massively overpriced items.  A sad thing one overheard was a Cruiser boasting he had bought his Wife “A vary rare seven stone, quarter carat grey/black diamond ring for under $2,000.00”.

Did not have the heart to ask where he thought grey/black was on the diamond colour scale.

5 minutes ago, evandbob said:

The OP states that they are looking for silver wedding bands, not "gold or diamonds", which most of the above answers pertain to.....YIKES!

Thank you, agreed, apologies to OP

For a silver band, consider purchasing onboard using OBC, this will make the ring a momento and be free.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I'm just curious is a grey/black diamond what they call a salt and pepper diamond? 

Salt and Pepper are lower grade diamonds with small flecks black and white inclusions sprinkled randomly throughout the diamond.  Gey/Black Diamonds are basically one large inclusion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Salt and Pepper are lower grade diamonds with small flecks black and white inclusions sprinkled randomly throughout the diamond.  Gey/Black Diamonds are basically one large inclusion.

Thanks for this I googled grey/black diamonds and got a mix result of grey, black and salt and pepper diamonds so I was pretty confused. I'll admit my understanding of inclusion is vague but from my googling it seems to be about how transparent a diamond is and I did notice from my intial search that grey diamonds were obscenly more expensive than black so I'm guessing a grey/black is perhaps coloured like a grey diamond but really opaque like a black diamond?

I have bought a lot of jewelry in the Caribbean, as well as Europe and Asia.  But I carry a loupe to examine the stones and markings inside the band.  But I have also bought jewelry on the street.  In particular, from the artisans at arts festivals.  Large arts festivals.  I love arts festivals because you can find unique things,, and have things made for you.  I can name two, which hopefully will be live in 2022:

https://arts-festival.com/  This one is followed immediately by this one, with many of the same artisans:

https://www.theannarborartfair.com/#2021artfair

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I have bought a lot of jewelry in the Caribbean, as well as Europe and Asia.  But I carry a loupe to examine the stones and markings inside the band.  But I have also bought jewelry on the street.  In particular, from the artisans at arts festivals.  Large arts festivals.  I love arts festivals because you can find unique things,, and have things made for you.  I can name two, which hopefully will be live in 2022:

https://arts-festival.com/  This one is followed immediately by this one, with many of the same artisans:

https://www.theannarborartfair.com/#2021artfair

Sausalito Art Festival: impeccable vendors.

23 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Thanks for this I googled grey/black diamonds and got a mix result of grey, black and salt and pepper diamonds so I was pretty confused. I'll admit my understanding of inclusion is vague but from my googling it seems to be about how transparent a diamond is and I did notice from my intial search that grey diamonds were obscenly more expensive than black so I'm guessing a grey/black is perhaps coloured like a grey diamond but really opaque like a black diamond?

Why does it matter? Inclusions devalue a diamond.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

There’s no such diamond as grey/black, the outlaws use grey/black to big up the sale, where the punter is encouraged to think the gem is grey (has value) going into black (so has reasonable value), but in reality it’s black (very low value).  A row of seven “black” very low value diamonds for $2,000.00?

• Thanks 1