Are there foods you eat at home, but never on a cruise?

shipgeeks

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I have not thought of Chicken Livers as being a particular Southern food.  I like Chicken Livers, too.  Don't prepare them for myself, but, sometimes my Kroger will have some already prepared in their deli-Chicken department.  Fried Liver Mush?  Never heard of that.  Is this Mush with bits of Chicken Livers mixed into the batter?  

Mum2Mercury, I notice you are a new CC member.  Welcome to our Community.  60 posts already!  You are off to a good start!  

One of my favorite deli treats is a scoop of chopped liver with saltines, red onion and a dollop of mayonnaise.  Perhaps this is what M2M means by fried liver mush or a variation of same?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

chopped liver with saltines,

I enjoy chopped liver, but, I'd prefer something other than saltines.  Melba toast or small pieces of Brioche is what I would try to use.  

I enjoy chopped liver, but, I'd prefer something other than saltines.  Melba toast or small pieces of Brioche is what I would try to use.  

I love to using saltines, toasted rye bread fingers and even different Keebler crackers.

Mayo?

I agree with red onion, sometimes the surface has to be thin layer of butter, and chopped egg yolks and egg whites like with Smoked Onions.

Dad use to use Well Sauteed Fried Vidalia Onions topping.  

When in a small deli…beggars cannot be choosers!

13 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I love to using saltines, toasted rye bread fingers and even different Keebler crackers.

Mayo?

I agree with red onion, sometimes the surface has to be thin layer of butter, and chopped egg yolks and egg whites like with Smoked Onions.

Dad use to use Well Sauteed Fried Vidalia Onions topping.  

YES…MAYO!!  It goes great with the chopped liver.  Swiss Cheese goes great with brisket or corned beef.  We Goys don’t have to keep kosher…lol.

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have not thought of Chicken Livers as being a particular Southern food.  I like Chicken Livers, too.  Don't prepare them for myself, but, sometimes my Kroger will have some already prepared in their deli-Chicken department.  Fried Liver Mush?  Never heard of that.  Is this Mush with bits of Chicken Livers mixed into the batter?  

Mum2Mercury, I notice you are a new CC member.  Welcome to our Community.  60 posts already!  You are off to a good start!  

I never thought of Chicken Livers as anything but a Southern food.  Interesting.  

Liver mush is pork liver plus cornmeal (Neese's is the best brand), pressed into a rectangle, sold in the lunch meat area.  Slice it and fry it; you want the outside to be crispy and the inside to be soft and warm.  Make it into a sandwich with mustard. 

Wow, have I posted that much?  I'm on a roll.  We've been out of the cruising world for a while, but now our kids are through college, we have a vaxx against Covid, and we're ready to get back out to sea -- we're pretty excited. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I never thought of Chicken Livers as anything but a Southern food.  Interesting.  

Liver mush is pork liver plus cornmeal (Neese's is the best brand), pressed into a rectangle, sold in the lunch meat area.  Slice it and fry it; you want the outside to be crispy and the inside to be soft and warm.  Make it into a sandwich with mustard. 

Wow, have I posted that much?  I'm on a roll.  We've been out of the cruising world for a while, but now our kids are through college, we have a vaxx against Covid, and we're ready to get back out to sea -- we're pretty excited. 

Thanks for your reply.  As I posted, Liver Mush is a food that is new to me.  

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2021 at 10:34 AM, shipgeeks said:

For me, one might be peanut butter.  I eat it at home for ease of prep, decent taste (crunchy only!) and ease of protein.

Another is orange marmalade.  I only like English brands, with bitter oranges, not sweet ones like Smuckers.  But I've never seen good ones on a ship.

How about you?

I eat peanut butter without sodium once a week.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I eat peanut butter without sodium once a week.

No restrictions here. Full PB. With Strawberry Preserves from the UK or Grape from the Good Olde USA.

When I make it, it brings back memories of MOM now gone for 2 years making them for me and the bread cut into triangles - 4 pieces.

• Like 1

Maybe I will challenge the QM2 on this sailing for a PBJ.

Maybe a Chef will come out of the kitchen with a Cleaver......lol.....

There are children on board

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

No restrictions here. Full PB. With Strawberry Preserves from the UK or Grape from the Good Olde USA.

When I make it, it brings back memories of MOM now gone for 2 years making them for me and the bread cut into triangles - 4 pieces.

I do not have a sodium restriction but I prefer to eat foods with low sodium.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:29 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Foie de poulet is also a popular French dish, either sauteed with something like mushrooms or pounded into a pate and served as a spread!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 4:10 PM, baelor said:

Foie de poulet is also a popular French dish, either sauteed with something like mushrooms or pounded into a pate and served as a spread!

Chicken livers are good no matter how they are prepared.  My favorite way to eat them is cold as a snack.  Kroger's Deli sometimes have them, but, most of the time they don't.  So, when I can obtain them, they are a treat.  

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Chicken livers are good no matter how they are prepared.  My favorite way to eat them is cold as a snack.  Kroger's Deli sometimes have them, but, most of the time they don't.  So, when I can obtain them, they are a treat.  

In my Deli it's only Beef Liver. They do not use Chicken. Beef is a deeper flavor then chicken. Even though prepared the same way.

Must be "Cold"....

56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Cold beef liver?  I like beef and calves liver, but, cooked and hot.  Liver and onions and/or with bacon:  something that I don't eat very often.  

Chopped Liver Salad in Brooklyn is always COLD. Of course Rye Bread and sliced Red Onion.

I know hot version which my DW likes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Chopped Liver Salad in Brooklyn is always COLD. Of course Rye Bread and sliced Red Onion.

OK.  Understand.  The liver would have been cooked before it was made into the salad.  Another NY delicacy that I have not tried.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

On Princess at breakfast in the buffet, once in a while you can find biscuits and chocolate gravy.  The Princess chocolate gravy is more like Hershey syrup out of a can, not at all like the chocolate gravy I grew up eating.  For those of you who have never heard of such a thing it's a regional thing Oklahoma, Arkansas area?)  Kind if like fried pies.  It is not meat based but more like a thick chocolate custard you eat over biscuits.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Suppose to be biscuit and sausage cream gravy 

That is not what the other poster said.  The poster mentioned two Southern states where Sausage Gravy and Biscuits ought to be a popular dish.    

Sir, you leave for Europe on QM2 soon, less than a week, I think.  What is the date?  I want to watch your ship sail out of New York and lift a glass to wish you Bon Voyage!  Do you know the sailaway time?  

On 9/16/2022 at 8:27 PM, rkacruiser said:

That is not what the other poster said.  The poster mentioned two Southern states where Sausage Gravy and Biscuits ought to be a popular dish.    

Sir, you leave for Europe on QM2 soon, less than a week, I think.  What is the date?  I want to watch your ship sail out of New York and lift a glass to wish you Bon Voyage!  Do you know the sailaway time?  

I’m getting the feeling that BB is already on his way.  

We were discussing chopped liver.  BB said that he prefers beef liver…so I tried it.  I always keep a cryovac pack in the freezer.  Fried calves liver and onions are necessary from time to time….even better with spaghetti and meat sauce!  At any rate I found the chopped beef liver to be too strong and I mixed it with chopped egg and mayo to quell the taste.  I’ll stick with chicken livers in the future.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We were discussing chopped liver.  BB said that he prefers beef liver…so I tried it.  I always keep a cryovac pack in the freezer.  Fried calves liver and onions are necessary from time to time….even better with spaghetti and meat sauce!  At any rate I found the chopped beef liver to be too strong and I mixed it with chopped egg and mayo to quell the taste.  I’ll stick with chicken livers in the future.  

I personally make my liver from chicken liver sauteed in butter. Jewish delis use chicken fat. With sauteed white onions. Then when hand grate it with quartered boiled eggs. S&P to taste. The local Jewish delis can not use chicken due to parents. So they used beef. Never would think mayo at all. 

This a deli with real Jewish rye and raw onion which made the beef chopped livers favorable.

On 9/18/2022 at 7:32 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I’m getting the feeling that BB is already on his way.  

I don't think he sails until 9/23.  Fried calves liver and onions!  (Maybe even with some bacon.)  My Mother and I loved it; my Father and Brother hated it.  When this was on my family's dinner menu--which was not often--it was a dinner with two different entrees my Mother fixed.  Cruise ship chefs' usually do a good job with it.  I will usually order it when it's on the menu while my tablemates say "how can you eat that stuff?".  (I like most organ meats:  sweetbreads, heart; tongue, not so much.)

I like Chopped Liver whether it is Chicken or Beef.  I think fried Chicken Livers--hot or cold--are delicious.  I actually like them cold and eat them as a "HH" snack.  When I can get them.