Are there foods you eat on a cruise, but never (or rarely) at home?

rkacruiser

So many things!

I guess I am frequently a rather dull eater at home, and especially since I stopped working and taking a lunch along.

Now that you have me thinking:

calamari

congee

multiple desserts

sticky buns

DH likes escargots on cruises, too.

51 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

calamari

congee

multiple desserts

No calamari or congee for me at home or multiple desserts during one dinner.  No congee for me during a cruise.  Tried that in China; once was enough.  Calamari?  Depending on how it is prepared, it is palatable for me.  But, certainly not a preferred creature from the sea.  

LOL, You just reminded me that when I was living in the Migrant Hostel in Australia, we had mutton and Yorkshire Pudding on Sundays.  I have not had it before nor since.

I had my first congee in Kuala Lumpur, after arriving in the middle of the night, and sharing my hotel room with a young Malaysian woman whose reservation had gone astray.  In the morning, she told me I had to go to the coffee shop and order congee.  It was fine, though not Wow!  I never saw congee again til I noticed it on a HAL buffet.  I enjoyed being able to choose all my own toppings.

4 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Always an end piece…my favorite cut of the prime rib!

CGT,

Do you like Queen or King Cut. I too like the end. Dad use to purposely cut it off for me before making his gravy. I like bearnaise with it but recently in Cape May on vacation tried Horseradish Sauce that was not too bad. I remember being given HR Sauce in Simpson's on the Strand in the UK but didn't like it then. Bearnaise is still No 1. 

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Medium Rare on my Preference

That's my preference as well.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I like bearnaise with it but recently in Cape May on vacation tried Horseradish Sauce that was not too bad.

For Prime Rib, no Bernaise Sauce for me.  I prefer Horseradish and not the sauce.  But, if only the sauce is available.....better than no Horseradish.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I just realized.....water!  I rarely (never) drink water with dinner at home, but always do on a cruise.  Ship water is just so delicious.

shipgeek,

We do have a drink on the table at home and sometimes water. My DW does not drink water at home at dinner but at restaurants. She is not a fancy of ship board water and get bottled water for the cabin and also ongoing at the table. Whatever is not finished is ID'ed and brought to our table for continue use. Not a fancy when the water is a little pool taste when the mix is off. 

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

My DW does not drink water at home at dinner but at restaurants.

Rarely have a glass of water when I have dinner at home and only sometimes will ask for a glass of water at restaurants.  I probably don't drink enough water during a normal 24 hour period.

20 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I just realized.....water!  I rarely (never) drink water with dinner at home, but always do on a cruise.  Ship water is just so delicious.

My taste as to water must be unrefined.  Only when there is a significant mineral water content in the water do I notice that.  My Maryland Nephew always thought my water tasted "funny".  Tastes very "normal" to me.  For me, buying a bottle of water is a waste of my money.  But, to each his/her own.  (I do have a small supply of bottled water in case my area looses water service for some reason.  Which has happened.)  

On 12/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT,

Do you like Queen or King Cut. I too like the end. Dad use to purposely cut it off for me before making his gravy. I like bearnaise with it but recently in Cape May on vacation tried Horseradish Sauce that was not too bad. I remember being given HR Sauce in Simpson's on the Strand in the UK but didn't like it then. Bearnaise is still No 1. 

I like the end cut king, Queen or whatever.  I can’t eat a king anymore…too much meat.  I really like the intense meat flavor with an end cut that is so tender it is falling apart.  No sauces for me…just jus.  

Simpsons In The Strand used to be the place for great Roast beef.  It was one of the best and most reasonable places to dine in the 1970’s.  Now you need a bank loan to dine there.  I’m so happy we got to enjoy London before all the tourists and Euro chic showed up to destroy it.

On 12/7/2021 at 4:35 PM, rkacruiser said:

You prefer more well done than rare?  

The end piece is always well done because it is the outside tip of the roast.  I always know when a waiter is inexperienced when they ask me how I want my end piece…lol.

I do like my steaks medium on the medium rare side…blushing hot pink.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys😀 I love lamb and prime rib too. Medium on both please.

As for water, per Dr's orders, I have to drink between 1 and 2 liters per day.  To be honest, I have to make myself do it. I was in the hospital in 2020 for almost a week with renal failure☹️ and drinking that H2o helps keep those kidneys healthy.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, CruisinGirl777 said:

I find that we eat prime rib and lamb on our cruises. But not at home.

I do as well.  As a solo, preparing a prime rib at home would not be a good idea.  Too much work and too much meat.  (I like left overs, but, for a prime rib.....?)  I really like lamb and I don't know why I don't cook lamb chops at home.  I don't grill; I don't have a broiler pan (thought it came with my stove and it didn't--should have kept the old one before I disposed of that stove).  For you cooking experts, would cooking lamb chops in a skillet be OK?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I do as well.  As a solo, preparing a prime rib at home would not be a good idea.  Too much work and too much meat.  (I like left overs, but, for a prime rib.....?)  I really like lamb and I don't know why I don't cook lamb chops at home.  I don't grill; I don't have a broiler pan (thought it came with my stove and it didn't--should have kept the old one before I disposed of that stove).  For you cooking experts, would cooking lamb chops in a skillet be OK?  

We always use Prime Rib for special holidays. And enjoy making it from a to z. Leftovers we look forward to especially with the natural pan gravy.

We prefer Lamb Chops A la Ribs on either an outside or inside grill. ? skillet don't know. Also look forward to Mint Sauce and not jelly.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Of course you can cook lamb chops in a skillet!  Simply lightly rub with olive oil or vegetable oil then garlic salt and pepper.  Sauté on high heat to get a crust then finish in oven at 400*…medium rare to medium is best.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pate’…every once in a while you see a pate’ being offered as a starter.  I love pate’ on a fresh piece of roll, sometimes buttered, and a good glass of wine.  Over the years I have had game pate’ made from rabbit, duck, deer, wild boar, chicken and goose liver.  It is exquisite with a Chilled bottle of German wine.  Now that’s something I don’t do at home!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Pate’…every once in a while you see a pate’ being offered as a starter.  I love pate’ on a fresh piece of roll, sometimes buttered, and a good glass of wine.  Over the years I have had game pate’ made from rabbit, duck, deer, wild boar, chicken and goose liver.  It is exquisite with a Chilled bottle of German wine.  Now that’s something I don’t do at home!

Pate' is something that I don't have at home either.  It's a "cruise or high end restaurant special" for me.  I have not had the variety of pate's however that you have enjoyed.  The German wine?  I assume a white wine.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Pate' is something that I don't have at home either.  It's a "cruise or high end restaurant special" for me.  I have not had the variety of pate's however that you have enjoyed.  The German wine?  I assume a white wine.  

We enjoy our pate at our favorite French Restaurant in the NYC Theater District we favor Pre Theater.

Called "Country Style".

• Like 1