Are there foods you eat on a cruise, but never (or rarely) at home?

rkacruiser

On 1/24/2022 at 4:19 PM, rkacruiser said:

Pate' is something that I don't have at home either.  It's a "cruise or high end restaurant special" for me.  I have not had the variety of pate's however that you have enjoyed.  The German wine?  I assume a white wine.  

Absolutely German white wine with my pate’.  One of my favorites is a Nierstiener Gutes Domenthal (I’m sure i murdered the spelling!) that tastes of the grapes.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We enjoy our pate at our favorite French Restaurant in the NYC Theater District we favor Pre Theater.

Called "Country Style".

Ahhhh pate’ de campagne (country style) onboard the SS France with a fabulous baguette torn apart and smeared with Normandie butter and then the pate’.  With a cold glass of their white Bergundy Vin Ordinaire.  What wonderful memories…

16 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ahhhh pate’ de campagne (country style) onboard the SS France with a fabulous baguette torn apart and smeared with Normandie butter and then the pate’.  With a cold glass of their white Bergundy Vin Ordinaire.  What wonderful memories…

Our bread is not buttered but the country style multi grain in fingers. The pate is in a circular form with Pistachio nuts inside. Served on a bed of Frisee Lettuce. A side of Sweet Mustard Dressing. 

3 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Our bread is not buttered but the country style multi grain in fingers. The pate is in a circular form with Pistachio nuts inside. Served on a bed of Frisee Lettuce. A side of Sweet Mustard Dressing. 

Sounds wonderful!  Years ago we would see galantines of Turkey or chicken or duck onboard ship.   The birds were deboned and stuffed with pate’ and sometimes pistachios, rolled and roasted then sliced for serving.  They were always offered on the cold buffet at lunch or dinner but they made a great starter.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Years ago we would see galantines of Turkey or chicken or duck onboard ship

When I began cruising in the 70's, I remember seeing this on the menu.  I wondered what they the items were, but never ordered them.  Oh!  To turn the calendar back!  

My DH will get a lot of seafood on a cruise and I will try his, hoping to find something I like...so far it hasn't worked.

I have come across an occasional seafood dish that won't make me vomit but only once in my entire life did I taste a dish (blackened/Cajun swordfish) that I would say I actually enjoyed.  The restaurant close a few months later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 6:53 PM, seamus69 said:

My DH will get a lot of seafood on a cruise and I will try his, hoping to find something I like...so far it hasn't worked.

I have come across an occasional seafood dish that won't make me vomit but only once in my entire life did I taste a dish (blackened/Cajun swordfish) that I would say I actually enjoyed.  The restaurant close a few months later...

Given where you live, your dislike for seafood is unfortunate.  The Chesapeake Bay and Tidewater area have provided many seafood dinners that I fondly recall.  Swordfish is a "meaty" type of fish rather than being soft and flaky.  Have you tried clams or oysters or halibut steaks?  These can be a bit "chewy".  

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Given where you live, your dislike for seafood is unfortunate.  The Chesapeake Bay and Tidewater area have provided many seafood dinners that I fondly recall.  Swordfish is a "meaty" type of fish rather than being soft and flaky.  Have you tried clams or oysters or halibut steaks?  These can be a bit "chewy".  

I have tried most seafood and dislike the flavor as well as the texture.

I am a bit of a food outcast in Maryland and even in my family, good-naturedly...

I do keep trying things.  I made grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp on my grill once that weren't bad but I can't say I look forward to them again.  I think nearly any seafood that I would like would have to be grilled or some dry method of cooking to make the texture appealing.  Other things would include maybe seafood included with a lot of other ingredients.  I have always been able to eat crab dip because most I have tried are more cheese than crab which defeats the purpose.

Alas, I will stick with chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, capon, duck, venison, bison, alligator, rabbit and virtually any land-based creature.

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I have tried most seafood and dislike the flavor as well as the texture.

I am a bit of a food outcast in Maryland and even in my family, good-naturedly...

I do keep trying things.  I made grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp on my grill once that weren't bad but I can't say I look forward to them again.  I think nearly any seafood that I would like would have to be grilled or some dry method of cooking to make the texture appealing.  Other things would include maybe seafood included with a lot of other ingredients.  I have always been able to eat crab dip because most I have tried are more cheese than crab which defeats the purpose.

Alas, I will stick with chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, capon, duck, venison, bison, alligator, rabbit and virtually any land-based creature.

Sorry you are missing on a wonderful and healthy food - cuisine.

Enjoyed Baked Clams and Lobster Tail on Valentine's Day. Enjoy Branzino Filet Oregano baked. Shrimp Cocktail or Scampi, Fried. Angel Hair w Clam Sauce. And So.....So....So.....So other things Seafood items.

I am even looking forward to this coming cruise in September and all the good seafood in New England and Canada from those fresh waters. Even have on land those restaurants to visit listed. 

Hope one day you will like Seafood..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry you are missing on a wonderful and healthy food - cuisine.

Enjoyed Baked Clams and Lobster Tail on Valentine's Day. Enjoy Branzino Filet Oregano baked. Shrimp Cocktail or Scampi, Fried. Angel Hair w Clam Sauce. And So.....So....So.....So other things Seafood items.

I am even looking forward to this coming cruise in September and all the good seafood in New England and Canada from those fresh waters. Even have on land those restaurants to visit listed. 

Hope one day you will like Seafood..

Don’t forget the mussels marinara with spaghetti and a good old clam chowder or a fried sea food platter (my favorite).  Crab stuffed sole mornay is another favorite.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Don’t forget the mussels marinara with spaghetti and a good old clam chowder or a fried sea food platter (my favorite).  Crab stuffed sole mornay is another favorite.  

A fried sea food platter was enjoyed by me for a very long time.  Now, the platter contains so much food that my tummy can't hold it all and I always have a take home box when I leave.  

Mussels?  Love them!  Clam Chowder (New England style)?  Love it!  I have found a canned version of this in my upscale grocery store that is very good.  She Crab soup is a favorite of mine when I am in the Tidewater area.  And, when I want to "invest" in a simple dinner at home:  Oyster Stew with selects.    

There was an excellent seafood restaurant in my hometown that offered a variety of fish and seafood dishes.  They prepared a  broiled Shrimp and Scallop Stuffed Flounder that I have never found any better elsewhere.  

Grilling seafood is popular, I know.  But, I prefer fish and seafood to be broiled or fried.  

43 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A fried sea food platter was enjoyed by me for a very long time.  Now, the platter contains so much food that my tummy can't hold it all and I always have a take home box when I leave.  

Mussels?  Love them!  Clam Chowder (New England style)?  Love it!  I have found a canned version of this in my upscale grocery store that is very good.  She Crab soup is a favorite of mine when I am in the Tidewater area.  And, when I want to "invest" in a simple dinner at home:  Oyster Stew with selects.    

There was an excellent seafood restaurant in my hometown that offered a variety of fish and seafood dishes.  They prepared a  broiled Shrimp and Scallop Stuffed Flounder that I have never found any better elsewhere.  

Grilling seafood is popular, I know.  But, I prefer fish and seafood to be broiled or fried.  

So true RK, DW and I share the seafood platter now.  I always make my own clam chowder…it’s a New England tradition to do so.  Anyone who adds flour to their chowder is an amateur.  Homemade clam chowder and a homemade blueberry muffin that is loaded with blueberries fresh out of the oven…makes a great meal.

• Like 1

We are just back from a 12-night cruise, and we definitely ate differently from our last two years at home.

The biggest difference was that I had Indian food at most breakfasts and lunches.  Curries, Indian scrambled eggs, grain dishes, breads and other sides.  All good.  The only ones I didn't try were goat curry and fish curry.

DH ate a lot more bacon, and I had a greater variety of  fruits than I could keep fresh at home just for myself.

We also had some good calamari, fish and chips, prime rib, risotto, and many other delicious dishes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We are just back from a 12-night cruise, and we definitely ate differently from our last two years at home.

The biggest difference was that I had Indian food at most breakfasts and lunches.  Curries, Indian scrambled eggs, grain dishes, breads and other sides.  All good.  The only ones I didn't try were goat curry and fish curry.

DH ate a lot more bacon, and I had a greater variety of  fruits than I could keep fresh at home just for myself.

We also had some good calamari, fish and chips, prime rib, risotto, and many other delicious dishes.

What ship were you on??

On 2/21/2022 at 1:51 PM, shipgeeks said:

The biggest difference was that I had Indian food at most breakfasts

Indian scrambled eggs

Could you describe what Indian breakfasts are like?  Indian scrambled eggs?  How are they different from regular scrambled eggs?  

breads

I could make a meal of Naan.  

The Indian scrambled eggs had finely chopped herbs and vegetables in them; otherwise similar to the regular ones.  No spiciness of any note.

The curries were all different from each other.  Most were vegetarian; one was chicken.  Each had rice, naan, pappadams, etc. available.

Once or twice there was a grain dish with chopped vegetables and herbs.  As I recall, that had a topping that could be added, which was somewhat similar to salsa:  red, coarsely chopped, a bit more bite.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The Indian scrambled eggs had finely chopped herbs and vegetables in them; otherwise similar to the regular ones.  No spiciness of any note.

The curries were all different from each other. 

Thank you.  The Indian scrambled eggs sound good--and different.  Just no memory of the type of curries that I ate when I was in India.  Some, I liked; some I didn't.  But, everywhere, the Naan was great!  

• 2 weeks later...

I really dislike coriander (or cilantro from the same plant) which is in pretty much every curry sauce anywhere which that pretty much eliminates 90% of Indian food for me.  Not liking cinnamon and clove with meat or other savory dishes) eliminates most of the rest of Indian food.

I love cinnamon and clove in sweet dishes and can tolerate SMALL additions of coriander but most Indian food is bathed in it.

This also eliminates some Caribbean, African, and middle eastern dishes though not as many...sigh

On 3/10/2022 at 6:35 AM, Seamus6 said:

I really dislike coriander (or cilantro from the same plant) which is in pretty much every curry sauce anywhere which that pretty much eliminates 90% of Indian food for me.  Not liking cinnamon and clove with meat or other savory dishes) eliminates most of the rest of Indian food.

I love cinnamon and clove in sweet dishes and can tolerate SMALL additions of coriander but most Indian food is bathed in it.

I wonder what region your Indian restaurants are from? In Australia we don't get a lot coriander based Indian curries (which is a pity for me as I love coriander😋) but most of our Indian restaurants are northern Indian cuisine or Pakistani cuisine calling themselves Indian😂. I have eaten at Sri Lanka restaurants and I have noticed their curries are more on the herby side. 

The only thing I could think of that I eat on a cruise but not at home is probably bread. At home I might have bread once a week but on a cruise or if eating out in general I find myself consuming bread nearly everyday 😂🥖 mostly because of the rolls that come with dinner I end up nibbling on them and end up eating the whole thing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The only thing I could think of that I eat on a cruise but not at home is probably bread. At home I might have bread once a week but on a cruise or if eating out in general I find myself consuming bread nearly everyday 😂🥖 mostly because of the rolls that come with dinner I end up nibbling on them and end up eating the whole thing. 

The bakers on ships normally are excellent in their craft.  Croissants, Danish, and Cinnamon Rolls in the morning, pastries and Scones during Tea, and the bread basket presented at Lunch and Dinner:  all usually delicious!  

I have been impressed by the variety of breads that are prepared on some ships.  When I sailed on MSC Meraviglia as a YC guest, the daily menus offered breads that were different from others of which I knew.