Are there foods you eat on a cruise, but never (or rarely) at home?

rkacruiser

I agree, we've had lots of delicious breads on cruises.  Maybe the freshness is one of the reasons they are so good.

On two of the ships that we sail regularly, the aft stretch of the promenade deck passes the bakery, as we learned one day when the door was open so a baker could get some fresh air.  The aromas were fantastic!  Sometimes we hang around there, watching the wake, in the hopes of catching another whiff or two.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I agree, we've had lots of delicious breads on cruises.  Maybe the freshness is one of the reasons they are so good.

On two of the ships that we sail regularly, the aft stretch of the promenade deck passes the bakery, as we learned one day when the door was open so a baker could get some fresh air.  The aromas were fantastic!  Sometimes we hang around there, watching the wake, in the hopes of catching another whiff or two.

I always look forward to seeing the array of bread and baked goods in the Kings Court in the Morning.

But the best is the warm basket at breakfast we get in the Club Britannia dining room. When having a bagel with my smoke salmon in the morning, I must admit their bagels remind me of bagels in NYC and my Brooklyn Neighborhood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I didn't go back over all the replies but I love Escargot and never eat them here at home........but I love them on a cruise😃

Why do escargots taste better on a cruise??  I think because they get them frozen and not canned!

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, Seamus6 said:

I really dislike coriander (or cilantro from the same plant) which is in pretty much every curry sauce anywhere which that pretty much eliminates 90% of Indian food for me.  Not liking cinnamon and clove with meat or other savory dishes) eliminates most of the rest of Indian food.

I love cinnamon and clove in sweet dishes and can tolerate SMALL additions of coriander but most Indian food is bathed in it.

This also eliminates some Caribbean, African, and middle eastern dishes though not as many...sigh

I remembered how everyone hated coriander and I wanted to say that I never add coriander to anything to be eaten.  I do use it for one specific purpose though.  St. Patrick’s Day is coming up so I thought I would impart this cooking tip for preparing corned beef.  I always boil my corned beef for three hours.  I make up a bouquet garni with cheese cloth and string or you can do a makeshift bouquet with a coffee filter and an elastic!  Fill the cloth with 2-3 tablespoons of pickling spices, 3 bay leafs and 2 tablespoons of ground coriander…wrap it up and tie it so it does not leak.  Place it in the water with a quarter cup of brown sugar and a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar.  Let the pot bubble gently for 3 hours until the meat is done.  You will absolutely love the aroma in your kitchen and you will love the flavor of your corned beef when cooled and sliced.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 1:26 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Why do escargots taste better on a cruise??  I think because they get them frozen and not canned!

Maybe the special dishes in which the Escargots are served help?  

I have never--and won't ever--prepare Escargots for myself.  But, it's the sauce!  And,  the different preparations of the sauce that different Chefs make add interest to the dish.  Have never found any sauces that I didn't enjoy!  

The first time that I ordered them in Rudi's Sel de Mer Restaurant when I sailed on Nieuw Statendam, I was surprised when the critters were served in their shells.  A utensil designed to hold the shell was provided while the seafood fork could be used to obtain the critters.  Learning how to use that utensil must be like learning how to use chopsticks.  After a few attempts, I gave up and used my fingers for holding the shell (and then told the Steward that I required another napkin).  

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

My favorite way to eat them is inside a big mushroom cap with some garlic and wine making a delicious sauce😀

Whether cooked in the special serving dish with mornay sauce or served in a mushroom cap…they are good.  The best I ever had were fresh from the vineyard chopped with onions and mushrooms then sautéed in butter, olive oil and wine accompanied with fresh crusty bread and a glass of dry white wine.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I remembered how everyone hated coriander and I wanted to say that I never add coriander to anything to be eaten.  I do use it for one specific purpose though.  St. Patrick’s Day is coming up so I thought I would impart this cooking tip for preparing corned beef.  I always boil my corned beef for three hours.  I make up a bouquet garni with cheese cloth and string or you can do a makeshift bouquet with a coffee filter and an elastic!  Fill the cloth with 2-3 tablespoons of pickling spices, 3 bay leafs and 2 tablespoons of ground coriander…wrap it up and tie it so it does not leak.  Place it in the water with a quarter cup of brown sugar and a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar.  Let the pot bubble gently for 3 hours until the meat is done.  You will absolutely love the aroma in your kitchen and you will love the flavor of your corned beef when cooled and sliced.

When you say ground coriander are you referring to coriander seeds or dried ground leaves? 

19 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

When you say ground coriander are you referring to coriander seeds or dried ground leaves? 

Ground coriander leafs, of course…but who really knows what goes into ground coriander? 

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ground coriander leaves, of course.

Thanks, had to check since coriander seeds are very common in slow cooking in my neck of the woods so usually if a recipe calls for ground coriander it is referring to the seeds but following the thread flow I thought that might not make sense in this case😁

Edited by ilikeanswers

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Whether cooked in the special serving dish with mornay sauce or served in a mushroom cap…they are good.  The best I ever had were fresh from the vineyard chopped with onions and mushrooms then sautéed in butter, olive oil and wine accompanied with fresh crusty bread and a glass of dry white wine.  

Hi CGT, that sounds absolutely fabulous😃

On 3/15/2022 at 4:49 PM, Lois R said:

My favorite way to eat them is inside a big mushroom cap with some garlic and wine making a delicious sauce😀

I have never had them presented in a mushroom cap.  They would be very good in that presentation, I am sure.  

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have never had them presented in a mushroom cap.  They would be very good in that presentation, I am sure.  

Yes, it can be lovely for sure😃...a stuffed mushroom with escargot........delicious!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Shrimp dishes are only on cruises.

While not as good as freshly prepared shrimp dishes, I enjoy Sea Pak's frozen shrimp offerings.  Their Tempura Shrimp is particularly good, I think.  Without a deep fat fryer, I can't make my own fresh Fried Shrimp.

My upscale grocer has a seafood section that has a wide variety of seafood.  Some of which they prepare on site.  They make a Crab Shrimp Salad that is delicious!  All seafood; no fillers.  I enjoy getting a half dozen cooked Shrimp and some cocktail sauce and make my own Shrimp Cocktail.    

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

While not as good as freshly prepared shrimp dishes, I enjoy Sea Pak's frozen shrimp offerings.  Their Tempura Shrimp is particularly good, I think.  Without a deep fat fryer, I can't make my own fresh Fried Shrimp.

My upscale grocer has a seafood section that has a wide variety of seafood.  Some of which they prepare on site.  They make a Crab Shrimp Salad that is delicious!  All seafood; no fillers.  I enjoy getting a half dozen cooked Shrimp and some cocktail sauce and make my own Shrimp Cocktail.    

SeaPak is nearby me (well, I am in North Florida and their facility is in South Georgia).  They make a pretty good frozen product!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am not supposed to eat certain foods due to medical issues.When I am on a cruise I at times eat foods I should not be eating.

I am not supposed to eat grapefruit or drink its juice because of potential interaction with one of my medicines.  I do anyway at times.  When I confess to my PCP, his reaction has consistently been:  an occasional grapefruit isn't going to be what kills you.  He keeps saying:  "Enjoy life!"  Well, eating grapefruit is part of my enjoyment.  

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am not supposed to eat grapefruit or drink its juice because of potential interaction with one of my medicines.  I do anyway at times.  When I confess to my PCP, his reaction has consistently been:  an occasional grapefruit isn't going to be what kills you.  He keeps saying:  "Enjoy life!"  Well, eating grapefruit is part of my enjoyment.  

I take a cancer medication and cannot eat grapefruit either. I understand your point but in my case, I gave up any grapefruit products in 2016 and to be honest, I really have not missed it.

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I gave up any grapefruit products in 2016 and to be honest, I really have not missed it.

😲     While I understand your situation, living in Florida and not being able to enjoy Florida Grapefruit!  That would be so disappointing for me.  I prefer Florida Grapefruit to grapefruit that is grown any where else in the world.  My eyes and taste buds tell me there is a difference.