Early flight out of FCO to LHR, then LHR to DFW

Alaskanb

Firstly, has anyone flown this route? Any advice?

Secondly, we will be staying at Albergo del Senato for 2 nights. Our flight, in early Nov, currently is scheduled to depart at 7:50 am. I assume we will need to be at FCO about 5 am. What time will we need to leave the hotel? 

Also has anyone any experience with wheel chair service from check-in to gate at FCO with British Airways / American Airways.

Thanks so much --FCO is a new airport for us.  

I don't have advice specifically on your route. According to the Rome airports website, British Airways flights depart from Terminal 3, so that's where you'll want to be dropped off (most drivers are aware of which terminals are used by which airlines....)

The FCO website suggests that you contact your carrier about the need for wheelchair assistance around 48 hours before your flight. 

I hope your connection at LHR allows plenty of time so that you don't feel rushed. Generally when wheelchairs are needed, those passengers are asked to wait on the plane until others have cleared out, so it can take some extra time.

The Albergo del Senato can arrange a transfer for you, or you can request a taxi. Either way the drive at that time of day should be about 35 minutes. 

• Like 2

We’ve flown BA many times Rome to LHR.  For that early of a departure we prefer to stay right at the hotel,  the Hilton works well and in the past the concierge arranged complimentary transport to the terminal, even though it is attached to the airport it is about a 10 minute walk.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

It's been awhile since I changed flights at LHR.  I had it DFW-LHR-NBO (Nairobi) and then back NBO-LHR-LAX.  Did a day room at the Hilton on the way over.  On the way back, some in my group were having to rush through Immigration - over to the transit area - and run to catch their flights (we were late leaving NBO).  We were on American, if it helps.  If nothing else, the terminal that American flights go out of (at least they did) has some nice duty free shopping and restaurants.  

• Like 1

During the worst of Covid lockdowns, I believe LHR had consolidated all flights in one terminal – that would help.  But when we flew in September through November Delta was at T3 and British at T5 – which are quite a long distance apart – so we decided to stay over each way at the airport hotel nearest our next flight.  The Sofitel is very convenient to T5 and has a nice restaurant.  The new Hilton Garden Inn at T2/3 is really at T2, and although those terminals are very close together the pedestrian route between them is long and convoluted; it's even more confusing because there are no signs for the Hilton and most people you ask think you're talking about the older Garden Inn in Hounslow!  Not an airport to make a close connection.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, Alaskanb said:

Firstly, has anyone flown this route? Any advice?

Secondly, we will be staying at Albergo del Senato for 2 nights. Our flight, in early Nov, currently is scheduled to depart at 7:50 am. I assume we will need to be at FCO about 5 am. What time will we need to leave the hotel? 

Also has anyone any experience with wheel chair service from check-in to gate at FCO with British Airways / American Airways.

Thanks so much --FCO is a new airport for us.  

We have several things in common with you. We are also staying at the Albergo del Senato and have an early morning flight (7:05AM) out of FCO next May. I received many of the same messages you are getting about moving my hotel to something next to the airport. No matter how many time I reiterated that I would not be moving my hotel to one next to the airport for that last night (We have one of the Penthouse Suites at the Albergo del Senato and I am not giving that up! 🙂 ), the recommendations that we move kept coming. Others had some very good advice (like cruisemom) that at that time of the morning, we would be lucky if our airline had anyone working the counter by 5AM. So getting there much earlier than that would simply mean we would be waiting until the counter opened so we could check our luggage. We will probably leave our hotel around 4-4:15AM just to be on the safe side but will coordinate with our hotel the night before to ensure that we have a ride waiting for us at that time in the morning. We are also flying business class so our check-in line is sure to be shorter than others. However, if what others have told me holds true, your check-in counter will not be staffed before 5AM. Therefore, leaving around 4-4:15AM should definitely get you to the airport by 5AM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

We have several things in common with you. We are also staying at the Albergo del Senato and have an early morning flight (7:05AM) out of FCO next May. I received many of the same messages you are getting about moving my hotel to something next to the airport. No matter how many time I reiterated that I would not be moving my hotel to one next to the airport for that last night (We have one of the Penthouse Suites at the Albergo del Senato and I am not giving that up! 🙂 ), the recommendations that we move kept coming. Others had some very good advice (like cruisemom) that at that time of the morning, we would be lucky if our airline had anyone working the counter by 5AM. So getting there much earlier than that would simply mean we would be waiting until the counter opened so we could check our luggage. We will probably leave our hotel around 4-4:15AM just to be on the safe side but will coordinate with our hotel the night before to ensure that we have a ride waiting for us at that time in the morning. We are also flying business class so our check-in line is sure to be shorter than others. However, if what others have told me holds true, your check-in counter will not be staffed before 5AM. Therefore, leaving around 4-4:15AM should definitely get you to the airport by 5AM. 

Thank you so much --that's what I am thinking too! If you remember please report on how that goes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

During the worst of Covid lockdowns, I believe LHR had consolidated all flights in one terminal – that would help.  But when we flew in September through November Delta was at T3 and British at T5 – which are quite a long distance apart – so we decided to stay over each way at the airport hotel nearest our next flight.  The Sofitel is very convenient to T5 and has a nice restaurant.  The new Hilton Garden Inn at T2/3 is really at T2, and although those terminals are very close together the pedestrian route between them is long and convoluted; it's even more confusing because there are no signs for the Hilton and most people you ask think you're talking about the older Garden Inn in Hounslow!  Not an airport to make a close connection.

Thanks. We have done that before -- it can be quite a trek at LHR. We are on AA flights run by BA and have arranged for wheelchair service. Will just keep watching to see what's going on. 

5 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

Thank you so much --that's what I am thinking too! If you remember please report on how that goes. 

Of course, I'll try to remember to report back after that trip. We are actually looking forward to the flight home as we were able to snag Turkish Air's Business Class for a reasonable amount of miles. Apparently they are well known for their business class and their lounge in Istanbul. I'll also try to remember to share some pics of the Albergo del Senato. We are actually staying in a normal room the first 2 nights and then a Penthouse Suite that last 6 nights. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 2:25 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Lhr only had T2 and T5 open during the worst of Covid but now I believe all terminals are open. Pre covid BA used both T3 and T5 which are quite some distance apart. So even if you are using the same airline check which terminals the flights are from/to.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. We have done that before -- it can be quite a trek at LHR. We are on AA flights run by BA and have arranged for wheelchair service

Hi

I have just done a dummy booking in early November, I used Nov 3,

the flight leaves Rome at 07.30 and because of the time difference

arrives at Heathrow T5 at 09.30. If your onward flight is with BA 0193 then that flight also departs from T5 at 12.15. 
This should be plenty of time to get to the lounge and relax before your flight to Dallas. The only possible AA flight that you can connect to leaves about an hour later from T3 

Have a great trip

Edited by swigso
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 8:39 AM, Alaskanb said:

Just wanted to give you an update that I no longer have an early flight out of Rome. Turkish Air canceled their early flight from Rome to Istanbul late this past week. Since I made my reservation through United, United was able to move me to a flight that doesn't leave until 10AM flying Rome to Chicago. They were also able to keep us in business class so we are quite happy with this change as we don't need to be up so early in the morning. 

• Like 2

We had this exact same flight booked.

I was worried about the early departure, changing planes in London, and British Airways changed the type of plane flying the LHR - DFW leg and the new plane has very narrow seats in Business Class

We wound up swapping to Finnair.  We now go to Helsinki which is a much smaller airport to change planes in  and then Helsinki direct to DFW.

Just throwing it out there as another option if you're worried about the times/airport/etc.

• Like 1