Old or New Locks?

crzgrl66

I'm in the process of selecting a panama canal cruise. My family wants to choose one that goes through the old locks, however, I can't figure out which ones go through old locks and which go through the new. Is there a way to find out without checking with each cruiseline individually? We are looking at Celebrity and they have two ships doing PC. Edge & Millenium 

Of the two ships you mention, the Millennium will use the original locks and the Edge will take the new.    I'll also mention that the Millennium will be full transits while the Edge will be offering partial transits.  The difference between the transits is the partial transit enters the Canal from the Atlantic side, locks through the first set of locks to Gatun Lake.  Once in Gatun Lake passengers who have booked tours will be tendered off the ship.  After the tendering has taken place the ship will lock back down the same locks and sail to Colon where the passengers who are on tour will rejoin the ship.

The partial transit provides an excellent introduction to the Canal, but I find the full transit is more rewarding and if you have not transited the Canal previously the original locks would be my preference as well.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No, you don't disembark when the ship passes through the locks.  From the time you enter the Canal to the time you clear the Canal is about 10 hours, all onboard the ship.  I did look at the Millennium's schedule and she docks in Colon the day before transit the Canal.  Whether you disembark at Colon to take a tour is your choice.

• 3 months later...

We did the Jewel of the Seas, full transit, in 2015.  Old locks (new locks were still under construction).  In 2023 we are booked on the Radiance of the Seas (same class of ship) for the full transit.  Since we know that class of ship can use the old locks should we assume that we will be using the old locks once again? 

Yes, that is a pretty safe assumption the Radiance of the Seas will use the original locks.  I always put a wee caveat in that assumption that there could be some perfect aligning of the stars that would create a condition that would cause a ship like the Radiance to use the new locks.  Some sort of serious maintenance or other issue that would limit the capacity of the original locks could necessitate the change.  Presently only about 12 ships a day can use the new locks and those ships usually have real deep pockets for the tolls, the Canal would rather those slots go to those ships.  Just a long way of saying if it fits in the original locks, that's where it will go😄!

Edited by BillB48

7 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We did the Jewel of the Seas, full transit, in 2015.  Old locks (new locks were still under construction).  In 2023 we are booked on the Radiance of the Seas (same class of ship) for the full transit.  Since we know that class of ship can use the old locks should we assume that we will be using the old locks once again? 

Radiance transited on April 1, 2022 through the old locks.  

Pedro Miguel

enhance

Miraflores

enhance

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed through the Canal from Atlantic to Pacific and vice versa, but, my last canal cruise was only a partial transit.  This was on the Eurodam in January, 2020.  I was very interested in seeing the new canal and locks.  While I did not see the locks, I was able to view the new canal with the help of a huge container ship that was going from the Pacific to the Atlantic at the same time that the Eurodam was returning to the Atlantic from Gatun Lake.  

Watching the activity of transiting the Canal and the countryside never grows old for me!  

• 1 month later...

I’m booked on the NCL Bliss from LA to Miami. I’m assuming that’s a full transit correct? Sorry if this is an ignorant question we just heard good things about the Panama Canal and booked it

• Haha 1