Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

4 hours ago, Redwarrior68 said:

Not sure about PVSA but at an estimated $65k per passenger X approximately 250 folks joining in LA that is $16,250,000 in revenue.  Viking will figure something out.

The PVSA issue has nothing to do with the passengers embarking in LA or the ship being able to dock there and have passengers embark,  so the number of passengers embarking there and the revenue to the cruise line from them are totally irrelevant.

The problem is  with the passengers who embarked in Fort Lauderdale and are disembarking in LA who now will be in violation of the PVSA. The cruise line will be fined in the neighborhood of $800 for each of those disembarking passengers.

Hi,

who are the Aussies on board.

brave people to leave Australia and go on a world cruise?   We envy you.   The CC australia and NZ website is full of us being really fed up with no Australian cruises.

good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Eileen

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:36 PM, njhorseman said:

The itinerary examples you gave when you said " US cruises do this all the time" are closed loop cruises, which only require a call at any foreign port, so the stops at Mexico and Canada fulfill the requirements. The cruise you're on is not closed loop, and for those cruises the PVSA requires a port call at what is defined as a "distant foreign port". Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama do not qualify as distant foreign ports, but Cartagena does because it's in South America. Without the Cartagena call and no other distant port being on the itinerary for passengers who embarked in Fort Lauderdale and disembark in Los Angeles the cruise will violate the PVSA.

Why then was the 2017-2018 Viking World Cruise not also in violation of the PVSA as it left Miami and disembarked passengers in LA without a stop in South America?

56 minutes ago, plmesq said:

Why then was the 2017-2018 Viking World Cruise not also in violation of the PVSA as it left Miami and disembarked passengers in LA without a stop in South America?

It went to Cuba and Jamaica.

Edited by PeabodyMa

On 12/27/2021 at 3:15 PM, Jim Avery said:

Thanks so much for setting this up.  Lots of avid lurkers here...🍸

Yes. Going to be an avid lurker. We were on the 2018 Inaugural WC.

Want to see where you go and how far. Have friends who were going to get on in LA and cancelled Tuesday. They were using funds rebated from the 2019 WC that only got as far as Dubai. 

Have there been itinerary changes announced for once you leave LA?

Larry

1 hour ago, larry1365 said:

Yes. Going to be an avid lurker. We were on the 2018 Inaugural WC.

Want to see where you go and how far. Have friends who were going to get on in LA and cancelled Tuesday. They were using funds rebated from the 2019 WC that only got as far as Dubai. 

Have there been itinerary changes announced for once you leave LA?

Larry

@larry1365 you can see the current revised post-LA itinerary under the following Cruise Critic post: #1488

7 hours ago, plmesq said:

7 hours ago, PeabodyMa said:

It went to Cuba and Jamaica.

6 hours ago, plmesq said:

Cuba and Jamaica qualify as distant ports?

Cuba and Jamaica  aren't  distant  foreign ports. Did it call on any of the ABC islands ?

11 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

If anyone is interested in the US PVSA requirements, I attach the updated document from CBP

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Sep/PVSA-ICP.pdf

9 hours ago, plmesq said:

The 17/18 WC was a violation of the US PVSA, as it didn't visit a "Distant Foreign Port" and transported some pax from Miami to San Pedro. All ports visited were in Central America or Caribbean.

51 minutes ago, plmesq said:

No ABC islands.

I was able to find the itinerary (BTW didn't see Jamaica listed, not that it would have mattered) and confirmed there were no distant foreign port calls between Miami and Los Angeles.  I can't say what happened, but it's not inconceivable that the lack of a distant foreign port was an error on Viking's part.  I don't think they had very much US cruising experience at that point in their history and perhaps they were unaware that the itinerary was in violation of the PVSA and they had no choice but to pay the resulting fine.

I've seen cruise lines that do the majority of their cruising from the US and should know better make those mistakes, particularly on some B2B itineraries involving Alaska.  They generally realize their error prior to embarkation for the first segment, resulting in some passengers being required to cancel all or part of their cruise.

There's a reason that Viking now includes Cartagena on its itinerary, and as  someone who has been to Cartagena numerous times as part of Panama Canal itineraries IMO the port was included on those itineraries not so much because it's a "wow can't miss" stop as it was for the purposes of satisfying the PVSA, refueling and provisioning. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Cuba and Jamaica  aren't  distant  foreign ports. Did it call on any of the ABC islands ?

No ABC Islands., I expect Viking was well-prepared to pay $800 per pax disembarking in LA. No fine on pax continuing on the World Cruise.

Njhorseman- FYI, WC itinerary you found is incorrect.

2017-18 World Cruise final itinerary

12/15  LA (San Pedro)
12/16  At Sea
12/17  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/18  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/19  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/20  Ocho Rios, Jamaica
12/21  At Sea
12/22  Puerto Limon (San Jose), Costa Rica  

8 minutes ago, PeabodyMa said:

I was there

And you got from San Pedro...the cruise port for Los Angeles... to Cuba in two days. You might want to rethink what you just said.

In any event even if the itinerary I saw was incorrect and the cruise visited Jamaica that is irrelevant to the issue of whether it called on a distant foreign port because Jamaica doesn't qualify as a distant foreign port and neither does Cuba.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PeabodyMa said:

Njhorseman- FYI, WC itinerary you found is incorrect.

2017-18 World Cruise final itinerary

12/15  LA (San Pedro)
12/16  At Sea
12/17  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/18  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/19  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/21  At Sea

Corrected Itinerary

12/15 MIAMI

12/16  At Sea
12/17  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/18  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/19  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/21  At Sea

My apologies to all. I stand corrected.

2017-18 WC Corrected Itinerary

12/15 MIAMI

12/16  At Sea
12/17  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/18  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/19  Cienfuegos, Cuba
12/21  At Sea

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

Didn't that world cruise leave from Miami?

Thank you, Terrier!. Yes, of course. 2017-18 World Cruise left from Miami. I apologize for typing LA, instead of Miami.

Thank you for kindly pointing out my error.

Edited by PeabodyMa
  • Like 2