When will Silversea cancel the Muse Japan cruises???

PaulMCO

Why isn’t Silversea responding to our numerous requests as to whether the Muse trip this Sept from Seward to Osaka will be running? We keep asking because we have to book airfare returning from Osaka and get zero response. We don’t want to forego our $1500 deposit but can’t really book air that will basically incur a major penalty if we “cancel” because a cruise line cancels since tge air carrier will still be running their flights

‘Now we are all aware that most Japanese people do not want cruises to resume in 2022 and the current situation of group tours would be impossible for passengers that desire to book air independently or want to have an extended tour in Japan as opposed to simply getting there and being forced to leave the country ASAP . Other cruise lines like Princess etc have already cancelled 2022 cruises yet Silverseas refuses to give any idea of their plans despite multiple requests. I mean I recognize that they have several ships going to Japan this Fall and don’t want to lose tge revenue, but shouldn’t they try to be more responsive to their loyal passengers like other cruise lines and give us an option to refund our deposits? 

6 hours ago, Buzzy123 said:

Why isn’t Silversea responding to our numerous requests as to whether the Muse trip this Sept from Seward to Osaka will be running? We keep asking because we have to book airfare returning from Osaka and get zero response. We don’t want to forego our $1500 deposit but can’t really book air that will basically incur a major penalty if we “cancel” because a cruise line cancels since tge air carrier will still be running their flights

‘Now we are all aware that most Japanese people do not want cruises to resume in 2022 and the current situation of group tours would be impossible for passengers that desire to book air independently or want to have an extended tour in Japan as opposed to simply getting there and being forced to leave the country ASAP . Other cruise lines like Princess etc have already cancelled 2022 cruises yet Silverseas refuses to give any idea of their plans despite multiple requests. I mean I recognize that they have several ships going to Japan this Fall and don’t want to lose tge revenue, but shouldn’t they try to be more responsive to their loyal passengers like other cruise lines and give us an option to refund our deposits? 

You’d think with all the other lines canceling Asia cruise—Silversea would do the same - instead of waiting till the last minute.

8 hours ago, Buzzy123 said:

It creates a whole new perspective on "cruising with confidence".

From what I've gleamed, SS are waiting on the outcome of Japanese general elections and are hopeful (for their benefit) or a change.

So do P2P and get shafted if they cancel. Do D2D and at the mercy of the flights that will be allocated which are likely not what you wanted 

I called because I was chasing up flights for March 23 only to be told 7 weeks after requesting, I'd not been given what I wanted. At the time I requested, they were the cheapest option, but SS dragging their heels, they are now £40 dearer and allocated something I don't want 

That's when I asked about Japan as the following month I've got Osaka to Seward booked though to far ahead to be too concerned. What's potentially annoying, is it's already a 3rd cancellation, which I had to pay extra to get slotted into a like for like replacement that is 2 days longer. Hope that gets refunded if it gets bumped again

If Silversea cancels your cruise they are responsible to pay you back 100% of your out of pocket costs such as cancellation penalties etc.  This happened to friends (two couples) this past spring and they got all out of pocket reimbursed.

14 hours ago, Buzzy123 said:

We are booked on the same cruise, by the way you need to apply for visa - this is new. We are doing P2P, and have our airfare booked independently. Cruise is paid in full and insurance is bought. We are open and willing to accept any outcome. 
happy sailing! 

11 hours ago, quepaquete said:

We are booked on the same cruise, by the way you need to apply for visa - this is new. We are doing P2P, and have our airfare booked independently. Cruise is paid in full and insurance is bought. We are open and willing to accept any outcome. 
happy sailing! 

The problem is that while you might have insurance for the cruise do you have insurance for your purchased airfare? As we understand the current very very opaque Japanese rules you have to travel AT ALL TIMES with a Japanese tour group operator within a Japanese led tour group. I asked JAL and they were totally unclear as to whether that would forbid going from the ship to the airport independently or even as part of a ship sponsored “tour” from the ship to the airport. Further we were advised that only three airports, two in Tokyo and one in one other city,  would be allowed to be used as entry OR exit points for those “tours”. Most departures to the US at least are from the two Tokyo airports. Since Osaka has 3 different airports and the two closer and smaller ones (not the larger and farther away Kansai International)  connect to the Tokyo flightsbe careful that you would be allowed to go to those airports to get to Tokyo (also you aren’t allowed by the way to step foot on the bullet train to Tokyo a logical alternative).

‘’I recognize this all looks paranoid about a virus for which most people whether in the US or Japan  have had vaccinations, booster shots, and yet still have already had a weakened form of the virus, but the Japanese government is not willing to risk the wrath of their citizens for foreign cruisers.

Given the state of uncertainly I am unwilling to commit to additional airfares that would incur a penalty if cancelled 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 8:31 AM, Buzzy123 said:

The problem is that while you might have insurance for the cruise do you have insurance for your purchased airfare? As we understand the current very very opaque Japanese rules you have to travel AT ALL TIMES with a Japanese tour group operator within a Japanese led tour group. I asked JAL and they were totally unclear as to whether that would forbid going from the ship to the airport independently or even as part of a ship sponsored “tour” from the ship to the airport. Further we were advised that only three airports, two in Tokyo and one in one other city,  would be allowed to be used as entry OR exit points for those “tours”. Most departures to the US at least are from the two Tokyo airports. Since Osaka has 3 different airports and the two closer and smaller ones (not the larger and farther away Kansai International)  connect to the Tokyo flightsbe careful that you would be allowed to go to those airports to get to Tokyo (also you aren’t allowed by the way to step foot on the bullet train to Tokyo a logical alternative).

‘’I recognize this all looks paranoid about a virus for which most people whether in the US or Japan  have had vaccinations, booster shots, and yet still have already had a weakened form of the virus, but the Japanese government is not willing to risk the wrath of their citizens for foreign cruisers.

Given the state of uncertainly I am unwilling to commit to additional airfares that would incur a penalty if cancelled 

I feel your pain! I’m learning of the pain it is to visit Japan. The sponsor tour operator I order to get a Visa and all those rules and regulations, so confusing. Silversea doesn’t want to acknowledge that it may be an issue to secure a visa, their response (thru my travel agent) was: “ we don’t get involved with Visa issues”. Nos response to weather we need a Visa or not for the cruise portion. I know we need a visa if we wish to extend our stay after the cruise. Not impressed with Silversea again -our first cruise with SS was in 2006 and we decided SS was not for us and promised never to cruise with them again, we’ll see.

16 hours ago, quepaquete said:

…our first cruise with SS was in 2006 and we decided SS was not for us and promised never to cruise with them again.

Should have learned how to keep a promise.

We have sailed with SS for many years and they make it very clear on the booking invoice that it’s the passenger’s responsibility to secure necessary visas, unless otherwise noted.  For example, SS took care of our Visas in Vietnam and Cambodia. So, shame on your TA for not knowing the requirements, as well as booking you on a cruise line you promised to never sail again.

• Like 1

What an unreasonable comment!  "Shame on your TA for not knowing the requirements" - well actually the requirements are still not even known... Historically Japan has offered a visa-waiver for most of Europe, Canada, US etc. but they have suspended the Visa Waiver program because officially the border is still closed to tourism visits.  How is their TA supposed to know of what the Japanese government may or may not decide in the weeks and months to come with respect of border closures and visas versus visa-waivers?  

International Travel Restrictions - borders closed to individual travelers

Japan reopened its borders to travelers on guided tours from June 10, but remains closed to individual travelers. It remains unknown when individual travelers will be able to enter the country again.

Edited by YYC F/A

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Should have learned how to keep a promise.

We have sailed with SS for many years and they make it very clear on the booking invoice that it’s the passenger’s responsibility to secure necessary visas, unless otherwise noted.  For example, SS took care of our Visas in Vietnam and Cambodia. So, shame on your TA for not knowing the requirements, as well as booking you on a cruise line you promised to never sail again.

Actually, the visa requirements is the responsibility of the guest on most cruise lines. I was expecting that, but I have received some guidance on another cruise line, telling me I needed such and such visa and the options/suggestions on how to obtain them. 
The reason we didn’t want to return to SS was the onboard experience on our first cruise. Even SS fans we dined apologized on behalf of the cruise line. “You get ONE chance to make a first impression” 

We decided to give SS a second chance. We don’t expect the shoreside experience to match the on board experience, that seems to be the same problem on other cruise lines as well. We will solve the Visa issue, even if we have to re-arrange our travel plans. Just hope the service onboard is good enough that we would want to get back to SS. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YYC F/A said:

What an unreasonable comment!  "Shame on your TA for not knowing the requirements" - well actually the requirements are still not even known... Historically Japan has offered a visa-waiver for most of Europe, Canada, US etc. but they have suspended the Visa Waiver program because officially the border is still closed to tourism visits.  How is their TA supposed to know of what the Japanese government may or may not decide in the weeks and months to come with respect of border closures and visas versus visa-waivers?  

International Travel Restrictions - borders closed to individual travelers

Japan reopened its borders to travelers on guided tours from June 10, but remains closed to individual travelers. It remains unknown when individual travelers will be able to enter the country again.

Thank you! 
I didn’t get upset with my T/A because this is something so new. When we booked the cruise, there was no visa required, but the country was closed to tourist travel. The SS rep assured me that  if there was a substancial change of itinerary, or if SS cancelled the cruise, then we could get all of our money back. 

Not showing as yet on the SS website, but just got the nod for a change for my Osaka to Seward next April. Japan is still obviously up in the air, but the Russian Federation stop in Kamchatsky has unsurprisingly gone. Replaced be a further stop in Japan and increase in continuous sea days.

No surprises... Apart from the update being relatively quick.

Given the current situation in Russia and the Ukraine, Silver Muse will now call Muroran, Japan in lieu of Petropavlovsk (Kamchatsky), Russian Federation. 

IMG_20220630_145917.thumb.jpg.aeba732d5b5a6bacb425ccb3145fd90c.jpg

With all the issues regarding testing, vaccinations and flight delays, cancellations etc, I'm not particularly looking forward to this now and the prospect of a 360 of the Earth in the northern hemisphere.

Fingers crossed things return to some sort of normality sooner rather than later..... And Japan opens up to tourism.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Not showing as yet on the SS website, but just got the nod for a change for my Osaka to Seward next April. Japan is still obviously up in the air, but the Russian Federation stop in Kamchatsky has unsurprisingly gone. Replaced be a further stop in Japan and increase in continuous sea days.  Fingers crossed things return to some sort of normality sooner rather than later..... And Japan opens up to tourism.

Very interesting thread and situation.  Our highly-experienced travel agent has for the past year or so been strongly advising against even thinking about and/or considering cruises/travel involving Japan, China and these parts of Asia.  Too much uncertainty!!

She continues to be wise and knowing for expressing those cautions.  Hope things work out for this cruise and Japan.  We would like to visit for the first time these interesting parts of the world.  BUT, we are glad not to be needing to worry right now about ALL of these various questions and unknown policies/requirements.  Good luck!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 237,805 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Whilst I might agree on the ongoing unknowns and certainly the strictness in place in the far East, my booking is unfortunately a third time lucky jobbie. I certainly would make it as a new booking right now, though I do have one in 2024 for Bali to Bangkok I'm more hopeful with.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 7:04 AM, les37b said:

Not showing as yet on the SS website, but just got the nod for a change for my Osaka to Seward next April. Japan is still obviously up in the air, but the Russian Federation stop in Kamchatsky has unsurprisingly gone. Replaced be a further stop in Japan and increase in continuous sea days.

I just received the same notice for my booking on the Whisper, September 2023, Seward to Tokyo. Also not surprised, but it's interesting to see Japan is still on the table.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:03 PM, quepaquete said:

happy sailing! 

43 minutes ago, Aloha Boy said:

We are also on the Sept. 8 cruise. Can you please expound on the new required VISA? Where did you apply for this? You would think that SS would inform us to do so if they are maintaining this cruise as planned. Thanks!

The Visa for tourists is a bit misleading.  An individual can NOT apply for a Visa as the only tourists allowed into Japan at this time must be on a tour organized by an approved tour operator.  The restrictions for this visa are many and include never ever leaving your group.  You see, dine and visit what the group tour has planned, no deviations.

This is what confounds me.  As of this moment Silversea knows this and yet they still cling to the hope (and the itineraries) which start visiting Japan in a bit more than 60 days.  Earlier this year they cancelled Japan at least three months before the cruise date.

Maybe they are trying to figure out where to put the two ships which are scheduled to go to Japan.

2 hours ago, FauxNom said:

I just received the same notice for my booking on the Whisper, September 2023, Seward to Tokyo. Also not surprised, but it's interesting to see Japan is still on the table.

Yes, but that is over a year away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

This site is the easiest English guide to Japan visas. Updated regularly last one was today.

https://www.japan-guide.com/news/alerts.html#blue

The election is on July 10th. I wouldn't expect any change before then.

And, as it says right on the top the borders are closed to individual travelers so nobody who is currently booked on a cruise on Silversea can apply for the visa as we are all considered individual travelers and not part of an approved group.

I have friends in Japan and they are telling me that even if the election results favors the people who want to open borders for individuals it will happen very very slowly.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:31 AM, FauxNom said:

On 7/1/2022 at 11:56 AM, cruisr said:

Yes, but that is over a year away.

My thoughts exactly.  Why is anyone worrying about a Japanese voyage that embarks Sep 2023 now on July 1st, 2022?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

My thoughts exactly.  Why is anyone worrying about a Japanese voyage that embarks Sep 2023 now on July 1st, 2022?

I didn't say I was worried, did I? I merely noted the fact because other cruise lines are already cancelling Asia trips well into 2023. Silversea is not. That's all.