Dining options

Twolittleboys

On 1/6/2022 at 6:09 AM, Twolittleboys said:

I was wondering whether any of the luxury (or near luxury) lines offer traditional dining (i.e. set times/set table with given number of passengers)?

With all due respect,  what luxury line would  want to do that when part of the perception of luxury is dining when you want, where you want and with whom you want?

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 6:29 AM, Silver Sweethearts said:

With all due respect,  what luxury line would  want to do that when part of the perception of luxury is dining when you want, where you want and with whom you want?

Well, the one I would want to go on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 11:09 AM, Twolittleboys said:

I was wondering whether any of the luxury (or near luxury) lines offer traditional dining (i.e. set times/set table with given number of passengers)?

No, none do. The whole premise is that you can dine whenever you want, with whomever you want. 

in those days of fixed tables , I had to ask the maitre d' 3 times  for a change of a table , a lady constantly talking on severe illnesses, a couple arriving nearly drunk for every  dinner and a last caused by a lady about some politics 

lucky you can chose your table now 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:29 AM, Twolittleboys said:

Well, the one I would want to go on.

I appreciate this question being asked, @Twolittleboys. I have enjoyed the regular familiarity of dining at a certain table with the same waiters on past cruises, and I like the assist of meeting strangers because they are my table mates.

That said, I have a romantic notion of this and other old-fashioned elements of cruising, and set dining times probably relate to that in my mind. (I also love a promenade deck and a proper library full of books, and I like to dress for dinner.) 🙂

Luxury isn't defined the same way by everyone. I hope you find the perfect fit for your tastes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Do any cruise lines still do the "dining at the Captain's table" or other officer tables?

I always recall that from the old Love Boat show, and movies like Titanic.  

Is that still a thing (or was it ever)?  The last couple of cruises, I've seen ships officers eating in the main dining room, but in their own group, not with guests.  I think it might actually be a fun thing to be invited to dine with the Captain or other senior officer.

We have been invited to dine with the Captain on Oceania  so I guess it still happens

this was pre covid 

Plus invited to dine with other officers ..concierge  etc..

• Like 1

Ditto on Silversea, but pre-COVID.  Currently, ship-sponsored gatherings (like the solo cruisers meet-up) are passengers-only and no longer hosted by crew members.  Hopefully, if we ever get past COVID, they will revert to more open interactions with the guests.  Currently, it's still too much of a risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pf778c said:

Ditto on Silversea, but pre-COVID.  Currently, ship-sponsored gatherings (like the solo cruisers meet-up) are passengers-only and no longer hosted by crew members.  Hopefully, if we ever get past COVID, they will revert to more open interactions with the guests.  Currently, it's still too much of a risk.

Hi, that is not correct, on the Dawn and we have been hosted every night. We have a large group of solo guests. 2 nights were hosted by one of the singers, one night was the Assistant CD and one night was an International Hostess.

• Like 1

I was just on Silversea (Shadow) and that's where I saw crew members eating together as a group but not with passengers.  I know there was a solo cruiser meet up on the ship, but I don't know if it was hosted or not.

In almost all interactions with the crew, they still wore masks (butler, bartenders, wait staff, etc.)

On 6/30/2022 at 10:25 AM, Rothko1 said:

I think it might actually be a fun thing to be invited to dine with the Captain or other senior officer.

Truth be told, and at least in our experience, it really isn't that much fun.  We like to dine earlier than the Captain/Officer usually does.  Their table tends to be one seating six to ten guests, which makes conversation difficult with anyone not immediately around you.  It can get a bit loud.  The food can take longer to come out because the galley may wait until they have everyone's orders together so they can serve them all at once.  We're hardly social animals though, and no sour grapes meant at all.   

On 7/1/2022 at 11:19 AM, Lois R said:

Hi, that is not correct, on the Dawn and we have been hosted every night. We have a large group of solo guests. 2 nights were hosted by one of the singers, one night was the Assistant CD and one night was an International Hostess.

That's good news Lois!  My cruise on the Spirit last November was unhosted, and someone just live-posted current Chronicles from the Muse that listed the solo gathering for tonight as being unhosted, so it sounds like that at least is beginning to get back to normal.  Let us know if any tables are being hosted at dinner as well.  Hope your leg is feeling better.

Thanks!

On 6/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, LHT28 said:

We have been invited to dine with the Captain on Oceania  so I guess it still happens

this was pre covid 

Plus invited to dine with other officers ..concierge  etc..

John Duffy, the legendary Hotel Manager from QE2 who was with her for nearly 30 years, used to tell us a great story at cocktail hour about a much older lady who spent a good chunk of her retirement money and booked some of the top accommodation in Queens Grill for her first, and presumably last, crossing. 

The first night out, explaining it was a tradition and small honor, he invited her to dine with him and the captain the next evening. Upon hearing this she immediately turned to him and said, "Son, I have spent far too much money on this trip to go and dine with the crew!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

The first night out, explaining it was a tradition and small honor, he invited her to dine with him and the captain the next evening. Upon hearing this she immediately turned to him and said, "Son, I have spent far too much money on this trip to go and dine with the crew!"

Yes old joke 😉

been around for years  just the names change

Did you hear the one about the lighthouse  LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Yes old joke 😉

been around for years  just the names change

Did you hear the one about the lighthouse  LOL

My personal favorite was the one that Capt Nick Bates would tell, also on QE2. Another old lady (or was it the same one?) is sitting at the table with him and she was mulling the menu and didn't see much that she wanted to order. He reminded her, that because she was in Queens Grill, she could order whatever she wanted off menu and it was never a problem. 

Her eye's lit up and she promptly told the maitre'd that she spent all her money on this holiday and nothing would please her more than to have an elephant steak. 

Without batting an eye the maitre'd asked "Would that be Indian or African, madam?"

Or something to that effect. 

• Haha 1