Carnival Dream Interior cabin with walkway view

G&J cruisers

I am thinking about booking this catagory. It is in the front of the ship and is actually an oceanview room. If I let Carnival pick my room I can save over $300. Will I still get this type of room or will they place me in an inside cabin? Anyone else booked this? I really like the room and would pay more and choose my room if I need to. Thanks in advance!

Are you aware that about half of those cabins are handicapped accessible?  I would think if y0u had to be moved, it would because you booked an HC cabin and didn't need it - and someone else did.  Not sure where they would move you to, but I don't think a full inside.  EM

We’ve stayed in these 4J cabins many times, and they are great. More room, a deck steps away to enjoy with very few people walking around on it, we love them! A few are accessible rooms, but the majority of 4J cabins (if that’s the category you’re speaking of) are not. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Are you aware that about half of those cabins are handicapped accessible?  I would think if y0u had to be moved, it would because you booked an HC cabin and didn't need it - and someone else did.  Not sure where they would move you to, but I don't think a full inside.  EM

I was moved to one of these accessible cabins. Tbh I was furious as I had booked a 1A with port holders, a much bigger cabin. The beds didnt even push together. My pvp quoted to me I agreed they could move my cabin and perhaps thought it was a upgrade. My cabin was smaller than what i booked so wasnt as pleased as others seem to be with this category. Half the cabin was a roll in bathroom. 

For me I'd rather have a port hole, PT or 1A.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ciera123 said:

We’ve stayed in these 4J cabins many times, and they are great. More room, a deck steps away to enjoy with very few people walking around on it, we love them! A few are accessible rooms, but the majority of 4J cabins (if that’s the category you’re speaking of) are not. 

Ciera123 Glad to hear  you enjoyed the 4J cabins. That is what I like about them... the front deck just steps away. The one I am looking at is not handicapped acc. Carnival has a sale going on right now and I can save a few hundred if I let them pick the room. Thank you for your input!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, G&J cruisers said:

Ciera123 Glad to hear  you enjoyed the 4J cabins. That is what I like about them... the front deck just steps away. The one I am looking at is not handicapped acc. Carnival has a sale going on right now and I can save a few hundred if I let them pick the room. Thank you for your input!

Lol I didnt mention the one time I had this cabin, they locked the doors to outside every sea day because of higher winds so couldnt walk out there. Also mine had black out curtains. And a sign to keep them closed at night for navigation. I want to wake up and see the weather, not have to get out of bed to open the blackout curtains.

I'd still rather a PT category inside with port holes. It's about 220 sf, the same size as OV, so quite a bit bigger and you dont have possibly someone outside looking into your cabin. ..but yes higher deck than port holes... for me I'd rather the expect space for lesser price. 

Edited by firefly333

7 minutes ago, G&J cruisers said:

I doubt the gty is for just 4j. It's for any inside I bet if you check. I've never once seen a gty for only 4j. I have 197 pts on carnival, many have more, but enough I'm familiar with bargain carnival cabins.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I didnt mention the one time I had this cabin, they locked the doors to outside every sea day because of higher winds so couldnt walk out there. Also mine had black out curtains. And a sign to keep them closed at night for navigation. I want to wake up and see the weather, not have to get out of bed to open the blackout curtains.

I'd still rather a PT category inside with port holes. It's about 220 sf, the same size as a 4j, so quite a bit bigger and you dont have possibly someone outside looking into your cabin. ..but yes higher deck than port holes... for me I'd rather the expect space for lesser price. 

Bieng the front of the ship can I expect more movement or was it not noticable? Also are the Porthole cabins all on Deck 2? 

3 minutes ago, G&J cruisers said:

Bieng the front of the ship can I expect more movement or was it not noticable? Also are the Porthole cabins all on Deck 2? 

I haven’t noticed more movement being in the front, but then  I enjoy the movement so it wouldn’t bother me.  One thing you should be aware of is that when the ship is moving it’s quite windy out on the front deck.  It’s great for sailaway, but not for sitting out for hours unless the ship is in port.

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 10:52 AM, G&J cruisers said:

I am thinking about booking this catagory. It is in the front of the ship and is actually an oceanview room. If I let Carnival pick my room I can save over $300. Will I still get this type of room or will they place me in an inside cabin? Anyone else booked this? I really like the room and would pay more and choose my room if I need to. Thanks in advance!

I stayed in a 4J last month on Vista. You can see that room here. In October I did an interior guarantee on Panorama and got a room just around the corner form that room. You can seen that room here. The deal with those windows is you have to have the curtains closed at night. And then when you do have them open anyone out on that deck can look in your room. So it was nice to have but I really only used it in the morning. I think I'll probably use it more in Alaska where it'll be cold outside.

• Like 3

One thing I was concerned about when I booked my first 4J cabin is whether people can look into the cabin from the front deck.  I put it to the test, and found that when people are casually walking by, they can’t see in because of the type of glass.  If they go directly up to the window very close (nose touching the glass) they can see in.  So just be sure to have the curtains closed when you’re getting dressed.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

One thing I was concerned about when I booked my first 4J cabin is whether people can look into the cabin from the front deck.  I put it to the test, and found that when people are casually walking by, they can’t see in because of the type of glass.  If they go directly up to the window very close (nose touching the glass) they can see in.  So just be sure to have the curtains closed when you’re getting dressed.

Especially true at night.  My female steward was very clear with reminding me since you can have the curtains open at night if your lights are off.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Especially true at night.  My female steward was very clear with reminding me since you can have the curtains open at night if your lights are off.  

You can have your curtains open at night? I was told they had to be closed.

• Like 1

I had a 4J cabin on the Freedom two years ago. Really liked the easy access to the secret deck. As others have mentioned, some of these cabins are accessible cabins, and have an odd arrangement and you can't combine the beds. You are supposed to keep your curtains drawn at night but you can open them during the day; they have a mirror coating on the windows, so people can't see in during the day, but if you have your lights on and your curtains open at night, they can see in. Carnival offered me an upgrade to an Ocean View cabin, but I didn't take it. Since the cabins are all the way forward, they may pitch a bit more though.

4J room cropped.jpg

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I stayed in a 4J last month on Vista. You can see that room here. In October I did an interior guarantee on Panorama and got a room just around the corner form that room. You can seen that room here. The deal with those windows is you have to have the curtains closed at night. And then when you do have them open anyone out on that deck can look in your room. So it was nice to have but I really only used it in the morning. I think I'll probably use it more in Alaska where it'll be cold outside.

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them. The Vista looks like a beautiful ship. Will be on the Magic the end of March. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that since these cabins are upfront, having the lights on/curtains open at night can interfere with forward visibility from the bridge.  I have never heard that it’s OK to have them open at night with lights off, but it wouldn’t really make much sense since you can’t see anything out the windows at night anyway.

If you keep all lights off and TV off, keeping your stateroom completely dark, you can open them.  If you forget and flip on a switch, they will be at your door quickly

We had one on deck 6 on the Dream and were asked to move even though it was not the accessible room because it was needed for family that needed next door accessible room. We were moved. They put us in a very nice Ocean view with extra bath. We were fine with the move.

Edited by slavigne5577
Spelling
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

My understanding is that since these cabins are upfront, having the lights on/curtains open at night can interfere with forward visibility from the bridge.  I have never heard that it’s OK to have them open at night with lights off, but it wouldn’t really make much sense since you can’t see anything out the windows at night anyway.

For the sunrise.