Has anyone have a +PCR and tried to come back to Canada?

traceytd

I have read through this thread and agree with most posters that this is completely ridiculous. 

The ambiguity of the new wording is distressing -- "may be fined" with no concrete examples of what would trigger the fine.

We are family of six who was hoping to do a March break cruise out of Bayonne this year (rebooked using FCC from the one that didn't go in 2020). Our eldest daughter is graduating high school this year so this is the last time winter break will line up for all the kids. When I booked in November, things were looking good so we felt confident that we could make this trip work.

Between Royal Caribbean's email on Dec 26th saying they are no longer providing the PCR test onboard the day before disembarkation and now this vague policy around re-entering, I can't see how we can continue to plan this trip. 

As much as our family needs a break for everyone's mental health, I can't envision a more stressful end to a vacation than trying to find a testing site, praying all six of us test negative and then trying to navigate either quarantine in the US for 15 days or potential $30,000 to come home should one of us test positive.

In my opinion, the bigger issue is the on-going policy requiring these PCR tests. It certainly didn't keep Omicron out of the country so why continue to require it, except (as others have suggested) to discourage travel. 

My family has done it's part. We are all vaccinated and those of us who qualify are boosted, we have given up major holidays with extended family for two years and have barely socialized (hard to do an outdoor patio dinner this time of year). My kids have braved the merry-go-round of learning in person, online, in person, online. My daughters have been robbed of their vocal specialty at their arts high school and gaining independence through having a social life. My sons have been robbed of their extra curricular activities and summer camps. Enough is enough. Let us at least have a bloody vacation so we can suspend reality at least for a week and stop punishing those of us who have done everything asked of them. So frustrating! 

• Like 16

We had 6 Family Members come back from being on the Mardi Gras where 3 tested positive on the cruise and 1 after. After several tests including the one at Pearson the other 2 were negative. The ones that were positive drove home. They were allowed to cross the border without a fine. They were given tests to do at home on Day 1 and Day 8. They were advised to quarantine for 10 days. They were called by Health Canada and 1 also got a visit at the house. As long as you follow the quarantine rules you should be good. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JillK said:

I have read through this thread and agree with most posters that this is completely ridiculous. 

The ambiguity of the new wording is distressing -- "may be fined" with no concrete examples of what would trigger the fine.

We are family of six who was hoping to do a March break cruise out of Bayonne this year (rebooked using FCC from the one that didn't go in 2020). Our eldest daughter is graduating high school this year so this is the last time winter break will line up for all the kids. When I booked in November, things were looking good so we felt confident that we could make this trip work.

Between Royal Caribbean's email on Dec 26th saying they are no longer providing the PCR test onboard the day before disembarkation and now this vague policy around re-entering, I can't see how we can continue to plan this trip. 

As much as our family needs a break for everyone's mental health, I can't envision a more stressful end to a vacation than trying to find a testing site, praying all six of us test negative and then trying to navigate either quarantine in the US for 15 days or potential $30,000 to come home should one of us test positive.

In my opinion, the bigger issue is the on-going policy requiring these PCR tests. It certainly didn't keep Omicron out of the country so why continue to require it, except (as others have suggested) to discourage travel. 

My family has done it's part. We are all vaccinated and those of us who qualify are boosted, we have given up major holidays with extended family for two years and have barely socialized (hard to do an outdoor patio dinner this time of year). My kids have braved the merry-go-round of learning in person, online, in person, online. My daughters have been robbed of their vocal specialty at their arts high school and gaining independence through having a social life. My sons have been robbed of their extra curricular activities and summer camps. Enough is enough. Let us at least have a bloody vacation so we can suspend reality at least for a week and stop punishing those of us who have done everything asked of them. So frustrating! 

Couldn't agree with you more. I think the Brits have done away with entry PCR tests and are pretty much letting the disease run its course and possibly may produce immunity. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Baseball1999 said:

We had 6 Family Members come back from being on the Mardi Gras where 3 tested positive on the cruise and 1 after. After several tests including the one at Pearson the other 2 were negative. The ones that were positive drove home. They were allowed to cross the border without a fine. They were given tests to do at home on Day 1 and Day 8. They were advised to quarantine for 10 days. They were called by Health Canada and 1 also got a visit at the house. As long as you follow the quarantine rules you should be good. 

Thanks for sharing that experience. It would give me more confidence to hear of more stories from people doing land crossings and what we can expect. In any case, I think we are currently strongly leaning toward cancelling and hoping that our planned travel this coming summer will be a go with less stress.

• Like 2

We need to hear about someone crossing over after January 10th, which is the last time the government website was updated.

Everyone who travellers over Christmas (me included) were running with the website that said NOTHING about a fine.

When you are on the government website you can scroll to the bottom to see when it was updated.

As useful as experiences over the holidays are, we need to remember that the official rules changed on January 10th.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Pre COVID, I really thought Canada was the best country in the world to live in. I now find myself second guessing that belief on a daily basis 

You don't think other countries are faced with the same challenges, or that they don't sometimes respond poorly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, LuCruise said:

What a horrible kick in the face.  There goes our March plans as we were going to drive to the cruise.

Wonder how long they'll keep this on as this is a huge problem.  We've done everything right and followed all the rules. And it seems to mean nothing.  

I hear you 100%. 

46 minutes ago, Ragdollbd said:

I thought the government has passed the 5 day quarantine as long as you do not have any symptoms & are fully vaccinated?  Is the site just not updated?

The US has reduced the length of quarantine to 5 days, but Canada has not made a similar change. It stays at 10 days for the time being.

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The US has reduced the length of quarantine to 5 days, but Canada has not made a similar change. It stays at 10 days for the time being.

Do you know, did all the provinces change to 5 on their own, or are some still 10/14 days?

1 hour ago, Halo19 said:

Do you know, did all the provinces change to 5 on their own, or are some still 10/14 days?

Even within a province, the period of isolation can vary. In Ontario, for example, people with COVID-19 who are vaccinated, as well as children under 12, are now only required to isolate for five days following the onset of symptoms. Isolation for these individuals can end after the five-day period, as long as their symptoms have improved for at least 24 hours.

On the other hand, those who are not fully vaccinated, or who are immunocompromised, are still required to isolate for 10 days.

Québec has a very similar policy, whereas Nova Scotia has quite different length of isolation requirements. I can't comment on other provinces as I've not tracked them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I am on 5 days in Ontario.  Not sure if it's a law passed but for work it's only 5 days now

9 minutes ago, Ragdollbd said:

I am on 5 days in Ontario.  Not sure if it's a law passed but for work it's only 5 days now

True, but international travel goes by the Federal standard, which just dropped from 14 days to 10 days.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ragdollbd said:

This thread deals with re-entering Canada and the related federal 10-day isolation policy. If you are a fully vaccinated resident of Ontario isolating because of COVID caught here and not outside Canada, then the Ontario 5-day policy applies.

• Like 1

There is no mention of previous covid status either, so if one person has symptoms, everyone isolates for 5 days (in ON), then if the next person starts symptoms on day 4, my understanding is that everyone, including the original case, isolates for another 5 days?

In terms of how it would apply to us travelling across the border, as Fouremco said the isolation period was was just reduced from 15 days to 10 days. This is a federal mandate and would apply to any of us returning home, regardless of what province we reside in and what the provincial guidelines are. 

So in our case, even though we live in Ontario and would have to isolate for 5 days if we tested positive at home, if we test positive after the cruise this would require that we stay in the States for an additional 10 days before we can proceed through the border (or apparently, we "may be fined" $5000 for trying to cross the border before the end of the isolation period).

I'm also not sure why the same rules seem to apply to flying versus land crossing. I understand you don't want me at an airport and on a plane if I'm actively positive but I don't see how me being in my own vehicle and able to come directly home to isolate isn't a better solution than me staying in a hotel.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, JillK said:

..So in our case, even though we live in Ontario and would have to isolate for 5 days if we tested positive at home, if we test positive after the cruise this would require that we stay in the States for an additional 10 days before we can proceed through the border (or apparently, we "may be fined" $5000 for trying to cross the border before the end of the isolation period)...

Also, anyone that didn't test positive may be selected for a random arrival test at the airport and, because you were outside the US on your cruise, they must quarantine until the results arrive (which may be 10 days right now).  If you cross at a land border with a positive test, you will be given arrival tests (day 1 and day 8 ) for sure.

In Ontario, If anyone in your household is quarantining waiting for test results (for up to 14 days), your vaccinated children are not allowed to attend in-person school.  Any unvaccinated children must stay away from school for 14 days if they travel outside the country (even if they are except from quarantine).

Edited by CKCruising
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JillK said:

I'm also not sure why the same rules seem to apply to flying versus land crossing. I understand you don't want me at an airport and on a plane if I'm actively positive but I don't see how me being in my own vehicle and able to come directly home to isolate isn't a better solution than me staying in a hotel.

While I agree that it is less risky than flying, I suppose it depends on how far you have to drive, and how self-contained you are. What about accommodations, meals(drive thru only?), gas, washrooms?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

While I agree that it is less risky than flying, I suppose it depends on how far you have to drive, and how self-contained you are. What about accommodations, meals(drive thru only?), gas, washrooms?

Yes you're right of course! I should have thought more broadly than my own experience... if you are disembarking at a Florida Port and driving that is a lot stops and places where you're spreading.

I was reflecting on the last time we drove to NYC for a cruise with our sons (8 and 9 at the time).... it took us about 8 hours and we somehow managed to do it making only one stop from our departure point to our hotel -- lunch/bathroom break at a McDonald's with a gas station where we were able to fill up. 

• Like 1