bucket list cruise destinations

3 hours ago, portcbob said:

Same here mate. Retired from the job ( police ) in 2003. Luv cruising mate but now so frustrated with it all. 👍

Where is Hollywell in Australia?

Edited by NSWP

We have been fortunate to have cruised almost non-stop between 2006 and 2020.

For our bucket list, we hope to see more of Japan (only visited Kagoshima) and the Eastern Mediterranean after that.

New Zealand ex. Brisbane on the Coral is hopefully a goer for January 2023. 

I don't relly have a bucket list cruise I would like to do as I am destination oriented.

Just for the heck of it I would consider a Melbourne Cup cruise. I have no interest in horse racing at all but I think it would be interesting to do it for the experience and be able to say I've been to at least one Melbourne Cup.

Nothing booked yet but my bucket list cruises:

• Antarctica, I would like to do Ross Sea and South Georgia 
  • North West Passage
  • Bering and Chukchi Seas
  • And lastly two river cruises, one on the Amazon and the other the Congo

I think if anything this pandemic has made me realise I shouldn't be putting off my bucket list trips for the supposedly "right time". Who knows what other world screwing events will happen next😂

• Like 1

I just remembered another cruise on my bucket list was a Russian River cruise from Rostov-on-Don to St Petersburg which I should have done  seven years ago but put it off because it wasn't a convenient time. Now with war brewing on the Ukraine Russian border it is another reminder don't put it off just do it, the world isn't going to stay stable for you😂

2 hours ago, portcbob said:

Gold Coast Les, next to Runaway Bay, qld.

Did 33 years in the job in NSW. 👍

Gold Coast is nice, brother and sister up there, Currumbin and Nerang.  I did 36 yrs, 1967-2003.

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Gold Coast is nice, brother and sister up there, Currumbin and Nerang.  I did 36 yrs, 1967-2003.

Not far from Nerang. 15 mins drive. 1971-2003 for me. Worked in all the sxxx holes in the western suburbs including Mt Druitt. We learnt a lot about the job real quickly. 

What about you Les.

I would nearly bucket list a "tinny around Boston Island" at this point! To be fair, I have enough family members and friends with boats to make that happen, I'm just frustrated like a lot of others at the moment.

I had an Alaskan cruise with some land time in America before hand and Canada afterward booked for this April which I let go, the cruise is still happening but the travel is just too dicey at the moment.

Bucket list cruises for me include Alaska, Antarctica, Northern lights and around Australia (booked for 2024). 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 3:03 PM, lyndarra said:

Long haul gets harder as we get older. My last long haul was coming back from Miami after a 21 day Trans Atlantic on MSC. Fifteen and a half hours from Miami to Doha with Qatar Airlines. Two hour transit in Doha then another fifteen and a half hours to Squidley. I'm glad I got a great deal on business class for that trip, it turned what could have been an ordeal into a very pleasant experience. I can highly recommend Qatar Business class.

I'm a bit of a princess about flying, I just hate it so boring and uncomfortable.  After my first BC experience in 2015 (London - Singapore - Perth) I've tried to never fly economy again.  Crikey, I even fly BC to Bali and back - at least I did, not sure about the future.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LincolnLegend said:

I would nearly bucket list a "tinny around Boston Island" at this point!

Me too, wherever Boston Island is. 

BTW, love Port Lincoln, stayed there 10 days in 2014 and only wished we'd had much longer.  Will return some day...........most likely in 2023 when we take our motorhome to Adelaide to visit friends.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

I'm a bit of a princess about flying, I just hate it so boring and uncomfortable.  After my first BC experience in 2015 (London - Singapore - Perth) I've tried to never fly economy again.  Crikey, I even fly BC to Bali and back - at least I did, not sure about the future.

Not long ago I flew the red-eye Perth/Sydney BC as I needed rest for a long trip I was taking on my motorcycle as soon as I got home. I would have rated it a poor Premium Economy, certainly not BC. Not a lot of leg room but I did manage to sleep all the way, likely more than I would have got in cattle class.

• Like 1

Hey Bubbeh,

Standing at the jetty in Port Lincoln, looking straight out and the island in front of you is Boston Island.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Me too, wherever Boston Island is. 

BTW, love Port Lincoln, stayed there 10 days in 2014 and only wished we'd had much longer.  Will return some day...........most likely in 2023 when we take our motorhome to Adelaide to visit friends.

I'm threatening to take my camper trailer and head west in 2023, time to swim with the whale sharks maybe, depends if WA are letting us in by then I guess!

• Like 1

I have flown overseas business class on -

• Royal Brunei via Brunei (when it was based in Brisbane).  (Best deal two for price of one!)
  • North West Airlines to Japan free on frequent flyer points. 
  • Qantas to NY free on frequent flyer points. 
  • Qatar Airlines,  via Sydney over via Adelaide on return
  • EVA Air, from Brisbane, viaTaiwan and Bangkok

(All were excellent with high levels of service, good food, room to sleep flat)

I choose best value versus "name airlines".

When Rolf was still working I used to fly international business class almost all the time, and mostly on points as I'd tag along on some of his business trips. We flew mainly on Qantas, sometimes on Singapore Airlines but also on One World affiliates like Cathay Pacific and British Airways. We also paid for flights on Thai Airways and Etihad. Mostly they were pretty good although on a couple of the Etihad sectors I got the feeling that women were definitely second class citizens. 😡 On that trip we also did one sector on Virgin Australia and that was brilliant. One of the business class loos was ladies only! 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, NSWP said:

As you see from my signature, done just about all the world since my retirement in 2003.  These days solo traveller and not cost effective to pay the big money out, plus health issues.

So I am almost sure my cruising career is over, glad I retired early and my late wife and I could travel the world inc Australia doing the cruising and land travel.

I sometimes wonder what I am still doing on CC, being a retired cruiser but I enjoy the banter.

Just keep your eyes open for the magic words "no single supplement".  Small ships are expensive, but include shore excursions, as did my last cruise from Tromso, Norway to Oban, Scotland.  It included insurance covered by UK Govt. As a single, I just decided to cruise less often, not knowing Covid was on the horizon.

8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

When Rolf was still working I used to fly international business class almost all the time, and mostly on points as I'd tag along on some of his business trips. We flew mainly on Qantas, sometimes on Singapore Airlines but also on One World affiliates like Cathay Pacific and British Airways. We also paid for flights on Thai Airways and Etihad. Mostly they were pretty good although on a couple of the Etihad sectors I got the feeling that women were definitely second class citizens. 😡 On that trip we also did one sector on Virgin Australia and that was brilliant. One of the business class loos was ladies only! 

Now that is luxury!!  I loved flying Qantas business class but they are much more expensive than the airlines I flew on.  I especially love getting on a Qantas flight on the way home, to be welcomed by a familiar friendly Aussie voice.  

21 hours ago, portcbob said:

Not far from Nerang. 15 mins drive. 1971-2003 for me. Worked in all the sxxx holes in the western suburbs including Mt Druitt. We learnt a lot about the job real quickly. 

What about you Les.

First 3 years at Darlo/KX, good apprenticeship there, lol, after that mostly Traffic/HWP, Eastern Suburbs, St George/Sutherland, Sydney and Illawarra, finished as a D.O. at Botany Bay LAC.

Edited by NSWP

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

(All were excellent with high levels of service, good food, room to sleep flat

On that first BC flight in 2015, an overnighter, the Flight Attendants came a few times to ask if they could make up my bed.  I refused to sleep, at $13.5K (I can't remember if that was each for the both of us) I wasn't gonna miss a moment of that experience!  Grumpy on the other hand, enjoyed 8 hours of unbroken snoring.

Done Business Class on Qantas, Air NZ and Cathay, not much difference between them.   But I don't know if it was really worth it.  I am a nervous flier even though done dozens of long haul flights to The Americas, UK, Europe. I am even too nervous to eat, let alone sleep.  When the turbulence starts which it nearly always does, I have to have a few mini bottles of scotch from the flight attendant to calm me down.

Give me a ship anytime, at least I can swim lol. I watch too many of those 'Aircraft Accident Investigation shows on Youtube.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1