A little off topic, but I need advice

travelinmoma

We had a NE/Canada cruise booked for July 2020 which we moved to July 2021.  Then RCI sold our ship. 😞 We couldn't rebook a NE/Canada cruise before our FCC expired because they weren't offering them.  So we decided to just let our FCC go, use our flight credits to fly to Boston and just see that part of the trip (maybe taking the train to Maine while we're there).  Now Boston has a vaccine mandate and won't allow unvaccinated people in indoor facilities.  Our 16 year old is unvaccinated (and no plans to vaccinate).  I don't need judgments about his status please, my main question is for people familiar with Boston.  Is it worth it for us to still take this trip?  Will there be enough to see and do without going inside places? It will be late March if that makes any difference (not sure what the weather is like).  DH and son are huge history buffs so that was the main reason for the trip.  I'm excited about Lobster rolls .  HA! I also have a Revolutionary War ancestor buried there, and I wanted to visit his grave.  My mother grew up there, so I've been there several times as a child to visit my grandparents, but I don't remember much.  Dh and son have never been.  We won't have a car and had planned to walk/Uber everywhere.  Will we even be able to ride in an Uber?  I appreciate any info.  Thank you!

It is important to note that the requirement in Boston--which is in the form of a public health order issued by the Boston Public Health Commission and putatively authorized by various state authorizing statutes--does not cover all indoor spaces, but only "covered premises," and with certain specified exemptions. More specifically, "covered premises" used for any of three purposes: (1) indoor food services (not applicable to food service establishment offering food and/or drink exclusively for off-premises or outdoor consumption), (2) indoor entertainment, recreational, and event venues (e.g., movie theaters, music or concert venues, commercial event and party venues, museums and galleries, professional sports arenas and indoor stadiums, convention centers and exhibition halls, performing arts theaters, bowling alleys), and (3) indoor gyms and fitness settings. Exempt from the order are Individuals entering for a quick and limited purpose (e.g., restroom use, placing or picking up an order or service). Apparently, the public health order does not apply to many indoor places, including transportation facilities and shopping centers. On its face, the public health order is enforceable only against entities that operate "covered premises," and not against individuals who enter "covered premises" without displaying proof of vaccination. It may also be the case that the public health order will not be enforceable against federal agencies that operate "covered premises," such as the National Park Service, but I make no legal judgment here. You can read the full public health order, including its citation to statutory authority, here: http://www.boston.gov/sites/default/files/file/2021/12/BPHC-Indoor-Vaccination-Order-12-20-21.pdf I will leave it to others to judge whether there is "enough to see and do" beyond the "covered premises" specified in the public health order.

As to visiting Maine, I have done so many times, never with an automobile. Various places within the state--and especially within the city of Portland--are accessible by walking and using public transportation. However, you should review your specific intended itinerary to be assured that transportation will not pose any unreasonable logistical barriers.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:35 AM, travelinmoma said:

Is it worth it for us to still take this trip?  Will there be enough to see and do without going inside places? It will be late March if that makes any difference (not sure what the weather is like).

You will be very limited in what you can see and do (as you would be in most large Northeastern cities right now) with the various vaccine mandates for indoor dining and activities.

Also worth considering that the average temperature in Boston in March is in the mid to low 30s. The various temporary outdoor options for dining are starting to go away in places so that might not be an option when you visit. 

While you could walk something like the Freedom Trail and see sights from the outside without being vaccinated, a lot of the fun is going inside. You have to be vaccinated to enter The Old State House, Old South Meeting House, USS Constitution museum, Paul Revere House, etc. 

Frankly not having access to any of those things, and especially indoor dining in the middle of March, would be enough for me to want to postpone. 

• Like 1

While the vaccination and mask mandates are in flux, not being vaccinated will pose a significant problem for your son.  Restaurants, museums, historic buildings, all want proof of vaccination. For starters, check with the hotel you plan to book. Many of Boston's better hotels have covid update info on their web site. Though, best to call and speak with someone at the hotel, not a generic 800 number. IMO, March is too cold for outdoor adventures and Boston is a very windy city. Things may change, but based on current trends, I strongly suggest you reconsider the trip. 

Darcy