Richard's rooftop party. Time?

llgator

For those who have traveled in a VV suite would RR be a major reason to book a suite? 

Just got off the New Years cruise on Scarlet Lady and loved everything about it. We were not in a suite so we didn't have access to Richards Rooftop but it looked dead when we walked by. My next VV cruise will be in a suite so I am wondering how is Richards Rooftop?

Initially I thought RR would be a big deal to have access to. But after being on the ship and watching online videos the place seems empty of people with no atmosphere. It is a pretty big space for a small amount of cabins and with the rest of the ship being so much fun are suites even using RR? Other than the free Moet is it a place you would want to go to over other areas of the ship? Are there actually any parties and some fun taking place or is it more a place you can always find an empty chair and relax. 

1 hour ago, westguy99 said:

For those who have traveled in a VV suite would RR be a major reason to book a suite? 

Just got off the New Years cruise on Scarlet Lady and loved everything about it. We were not in a suite so we didn't have access to Richards Rooftop but it looked dead when we walked by. My next VV cruise will be in a suite so I am wondering how is Richards Rooftop?

Initially I thought RR would be a big deal to have access to. But after being on the ship and watching online videos the place seems empty of people with no atmosphere. It is a pretty big space for a small amount of cabins and with the rest of the ship being so much fun are suites even using RR? Other than the free Moet is it a place you would want to go to over other areas of the ship? Are there actually any parties and some fun taking place or is it more a place you can always find an empty chair and relax. 

I wouldn't book specifically for it, no.  Not worth it and it's mostly dead.

I sailed Christmas in a suite and the concept sounds nice, but the area was too big and underwhelming.  I also didn't think that Moet was all that impressive a pour.

No, I didn't need Krug, but even a single-varietal blanc de blanc or blanc de noir would have been more interesting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, westguy99 said:

Are there actually any parties and some fun taking place or is it more a place you can always find an empty chair and relax. 

It’s more the latter, but that’s why it was so great on a crowded voyage (ours had about 1700 on board).  I would call it a respite from the crazy of the rest of the public areas vs “dead,” but there were no parties or DJs or anything like that up there.

There was always a place to sit, tons of shade, room in the hot tubs and no lines at the bar.  It would be spectacular if it also had a pool, but it’s just a quick trip downstairs if you want to take a dip.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 10:11 PM, _tacocat_ said:

It’s more the latter, but that’s why it was so great on a crowded voyage (ours had about 1700 on board).  I would call it a respite from the crazy of the rest of the public areas vs “dead,” but there were no parties or DJs or anything like that up there.

There was always a place to sit, tons of shade, room in the hot tubs and no lines at the bar.  It would be spectacular if it also had a pool, but it’s just a quick trip downstairs if you want to take a dip.

This sounds perfect for us.  Thank you! 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Gerko said:

So is moet the only drink served?

That’s what is free from 5:30-7pm daily, full bar available for purchase with great bartenders.  

there are two hot tubs and plenty of relaxing quiet space if you want a break from the main pool deck, but it’s not a party atmosphere, at least not to date.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 5:05 PM, westguy99 said:

We just returned on Friday. RR was a nice place for sail away and for the free champagne.  Our voyage was about 1/3 full so it was easy to find uncrowded places to relax.  Once the voyages become more full, RR will turn into a nice place to escape crowds.  I'll also say the crew up there is great - they keep your champagne glass full, even if you're in a hot tub. 

• Like 1

I think Kchasteen hit it right on target.  With cruises from Miami running at 25% - 35% full, there are plenty of seats and quiet places all over the ship.  When the ships are more full, a quiet hang out with hot tubs will be a higher priority.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 3:52 PM, KCHASTEEN said:

Once the voyages become more full, RR will turn into a nice place to escape crowds. 

Just got off and there were ~1,000 folks on board.  RR was delightful on the sea days when the pool deck was packed and we just wanted some shade.  Quick jaunt down the stairs to get to the pools when we wanted to dip. 

I do wish they turned the heat off in the hot tubs in RR and made them cooler soaking pools during the summer months - getting into a 100+ degree hot tub seemed a little excessive during the day, given 90+ temps and direct sunlight.  It was nice in December though!

US has released all regulations, so ships departing from US are welcome to book at full capacity.  Now they just have to get people to book!  Many of the more well established lines are cruising at or near  100% capacity.

The other thing that will always make VV capacity numbers look lower than some other lines is the way it is calculated.  Very few VV cabins will sleep more than 2 people, while on some other lines, most sleep 3 or 4.  "Capacity" is calculated based on 2 persons in each cabin that will hold 2 or more, 1 person in each solo cabin= 100%.  If there are 3 or 4 persons in cabins, that raises "capacity" above 100%.  It is not unusual for a line like Royal or Disney to sail at 150% or above.  VVs current ships can't get to those numbers.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1