Insurance for seniors post-heart surgery?

Musigurl

My mom, who will be 81 at the time of her upcoming cruise, recently received a pacemaker and had a heart valve replacement. She's having difficulty finding anyone who will sell her out-of-country medical insurance. Does anyone have experience with this? It's looking like she might have to cancel (final payment's due soon).

25 minutes ago, Musigurl said:

My mom, who will be 81 at the time of her upcoming cruise, recently received a pacemaker and had a heart valve replacement. She's having difficulty finding anyone who will sell her out-of-country medical insurance. Does anyone have experience with this? It's looking like she might have to cancel (final payment's due soon).

DH (74)  had a triple bypass 20 years ago and we have always used Medipac for our travel insurance.  Luckily, we have never needed to file a claim with them but they do cover pre existing conditions. He has been stable for 20 years but the price goes up a lot each year.  He is now awaiting a valve replacement hopefully in the next few weeks so our travel plans are on hold indefinitely.

Medipac have a section on their website where you can enter all the particulars and they will quote you a price.  Be prepared for a shock. Hope your mom is able to take her cruise and get adequate travel insurance that will cover her.  

^ Thanks -- did a quote with Medipac and be she has to say yes to "had surgery or stenting on ANY artery or cardiac pacemaker implant surgery?" this is the response: if you answered Yes to any of the questions in Section A (Step 2), you are not eligible to purchase this insurance plan. 

Other suggestions are welcome!

We travelled with my mom at 81. She had a number of medical issues. We applied at Mecipac and Prime Link insurance. We filled out the form and a panel of their doctors go over it and they get back to you with a price based on your details. That's if they approve you. We tried another cruise a few years later but she was turned down for insurance.u

These are underwritten policies and quite expensive. I think hers cost as much as her 10 day cruise. but it was her first and last cruise, so worth the cost for her.

Hope you find insurance so that your mom can go on the cruise.

• Like 1

We looked at Manulife. One of the qualifying questions is: 

" Have you had a heart bypass, coronary angioplasty or heart valve surgery MORE THAN TEN (10) YEARS AGO"?

If the answer is yes, you will be disqualified - which I find curious. It would seem to me that it should be LESS than 10 years ago - but that's the question! 

Good luck with your quest!

• Like 1

We used TUGO insurance for my husband.  He had liver Transplant, valve replacement, by pass, and other numerous issues.  We were of course at the highest rate level and in addition we were able to get the stability period reduced to 7 days by paying an additional 50% of the premium.  It was  well worth it to us as any dr. Could have changed a medication at any time.    We took the annual plan so that we could make multiple trips.  We got the Insurance through  Travel Insurance Office  which is located in Markham.

15 hours ago, RealBatman said:

We looked at Manulife. One of the qualifying questions is: 

" Have you had a heart bypass, coronary angioplasty or heart valve surgery MORE THAN TEN (10) YEARS AGO"?

If the answer is yes, you will be disqualified - which I find curious. It would seem to me that it should be LESS than 10 years ago - but that's the question! 

Good luck with your quest!

My Dad has a pacemaker.  They have a useful life then they need replacement.  
He also had angio, and it too only lasts so long.  

I think the insurance company is trying to avoid folks who may be at higher risk of a medical incident due to the time since their last procedure.  

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 8:03 AM, Musigurl said:

A big issue is how long has she been "stable" - time since the procedure with no health changes and no medication changes.   If she hasn't had that required period of time where she is stable, you will find it hard to get insurance.   

13 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Does Medoc issue single trip insurance or must one take an annual plan? Thanks...

Only annual plans are available. But it might be worth your while getting a quote from them, as their annual fee can competitive with some single trip insurance coverage elsewhere, depending on whether you are eligible for one of their group offerings as well as your medical condition. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Only annual plans are available. But it might be worth your while getting a quote from them, as their annual fee can competitive with some single trip insurance coverage elsewhere, depending on whether you are eligible for one of their group offerings as well as your medical condition. 

Thanks Fouremco...

BTW, want to thank you for your various posts and comments. Very welcome and enlightening...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Thanks Fouremco...

BTW, want to thank you for your various posts and comments. Very welcome and enlightening...

Thank you for the kind comment. This really is an enjoyable board on which to participate.

• Like 1

UPDATE: so far, it's looking like https://primelinkinsurance.ca/ might be the best bet. An online quote is coming in around $530 for 15 days. She obviously wants to check in with her doctor and confirm that she's answering everything correctly before going ahead.

I'd never heard of this company before, and a Google search for reviews doesn't amount to much. Has anyone heard of them? Good? Bad?

• Like 1

Heads up! Looks like PrimeLink is underwritten by ManuLife. Our insurance agent has advised that ManuLife will not offer travel health coverage if specific heart conditions (e.g. stenting) occurred more than 10 years ago. Best to check it out to be sure.

Good luck!

On 1/21/2022 at 8:41 PM, Musigurl said:

UPDATE: so far, it's looking like https://primelinkinsurance.ca/ might be the best bet. An online quote is coming in around $530 for 15 days. She obviously wants to check in with her doctor and confirm that she's answering everything correctly before going ahead.

I'd never heard of this company before, and a Google search for reviews doesn't amount to much. Has anyone heard of them? Good? Bad?

Yes, we've used it. Luckily, didn't have to make a claim but the coverage was good. And you can cancel up until day you cruise because it was just for medical.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, Crown Vic said:

Heads up! Looks like PrimeLink is underwritten by ManuLife. Our insurance agent has advised that ManuLife will not offer travel health coverage if specific heart conditions (e.g. stenting) occurred more than 10 years ago. Best to check it out to be sure.

Good luck!

They will cover all your previous conditions because you fill out a form with all your medical history and they base the premium on those risks. It is a completely personalized policy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

They will cover all your previous conditions because you fill out a form with all your medical history and they base the premium on those risks. It is a completely personalized policy.

Thanks OVgirl. Shall investigate further. Appreciate the info...

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 8:03 AM, Musigurl said:

Look into TUGO insurance.  For an extra  premium the pre existing period to be stable can be shortened to as little as 7 days.  If it is an 8mprtant trip for her then the extra might be worthwhile.