COVID PCR TEST for ARGENTINA

harbormaster

I realize that the Argentine regulations require a COVID PCR test prior to arrival in Ushuaia.  I have one scheduled, but now see in posts that Atlas is doing them before the charter leaves, rather than a rapid antigen test. So, is the test they are doing sufficient and Can I cancel my appointment for the other PCR test? Thanks.

I've been wondering about this as well. Until I get specific written confirmation from Atlas that they're going to provide a PCR at the airport and that it will suffice for entry to Argentina, I'm not going to risk it. I would however love the save the money and not have to pay for the rush job private PCR I'm planning on. 

• Like 1

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be clarity around this.  It is also possible to get a PCR test in the Orlando Airport. 

Since we are flying in a day early, we are getting multiple tests done just in case.  Fortunately, in our area, we have a place that does them for free.  The kicker is getting the results back in time.  And since they are not open on a Sunday, we are having to do one at CVS.

The test Atlas is doing at Orlando airport is an Antigen test and Atlas is trying to create a bubble for the charter flight to my knowledge.

The 72 hour PCR test is an Argentina government requirement. You can only do the test the day before your flight to Orlando but not sooner than 7:45am EST that day since the arrival time at Ushuaia is 9:45am local time. Otherwise it will be more than 72 hours. Nowadays getting a test result within 48-72 hours is quite unpredictable especially in big cities. In order to get this test result, we will need to have an expedited PCR test which is not free. We will get the test result when we arrive at Orlando. Then we can finish the Argentina Sworn Health Declaration (within 48 hours of arrival Ushuaia) at the hotel by uploading the test result and proof of insurance to their website. At the end we still need to print a hard copy of the test result to carry with us and enter the Declaration Confirmation number in Atlas website.

There is so much effort and steps we need to follow in order to get on to our cruise this time. 

14 minutes ago, Tobbie888 said:

The test Atlas is doing at Orlando airport is an Antigen test and Atlas is trying to create a bubble for the charter flight to my knowledge.

The 72 hour PCR test is an Argentina government requirement. You can only do the test the day before your flight to Orlando but not sooner than 7:45am EST that day since the arrival time at Ushuaia is 9:45am local time. Otherwise it will be more than 72 hours. Nowadays getting a test result within 48-72 hours is quite unpredictable especially in big cities. In order to get this test result, we will need to have an expedited PCR test which is not free. We will get the test result when we arrive at Orlando. Then we can finish the Argentina Sworn Health Declaration (within 48 hours of arrival Ushuaia) at the hotel by uploading the test result and proof of insurance to their website. At the end we still need to print a hard copy of the test result to carry with us and enter the Declaration Confirmation number in Atlas website.

There is so much effort and steps we need to follow in order to get on to our cruise this time. 

Hi Tobbie888, this was all accurate as of early December but reports from those who went over New Years and those who left on the 15th of January say Atlas has changed to RT-PCR tests in Orlando. That's the impetus for this new line of questioning. 

Additionally, people are reporting that the Argentinian DDJJ (the declaration) is no longer requiring a file upload. So the situation is changing under our feet and it's very unclear. I think it's important to be prepared to comply with the original ask (do your own PCR, print and bring your documents, be prepared to upload them, etc. etc.) until we get official confirmation, but it would be very nice to not have to source our own PCRs with astronomical wait times or hefty price tags.

5 minutes ago, cpw0807 said:

Hi Tobbie888, this was all accurate as of early December but reports from those who went over New Years and those who left on the 15th of January say Atlas has changed to RT-PCR tests in Orlando. That's the impetus for this new line of questioning. 

Additionally, people are reporting that the Argentinian DDJJ (the declaration) is no longer requiring a file upload. So the situation is changing under our feet and it's very unclear. I think it's important to be prepared to comply with the original ask (do your own PCR, print and bring your documents, be prepared to upload them, etc. etc.) until we get official confirmation, but it would be very nice to not have to source our own PCRs with astronomical wait times or hefty price tags.

Hi Cpw0807, that’s good info. Replacing the antigen test with RT-PCR at Orlando Airport is not making much different for us. I agree with you that getting our own PCR test result is a must even though it costs more money. At least the Jan 15th cruise made the sail. I can’t wait to hear the outcome of this cruise and hopefully everything turns out well with them.

• Like 1

@harbormaster This reply was posted this afternoon in the FB group by the CFO of Atlas. I don't have any idea what the cost of doing Atlas' option at MCO is (it does seem like they're charging extra currently) but it is an option if you can't find anything locally. You sign up in the same portal whether you want antigen or PCR.

image.png

I wish that Atlas would provide detailed information to us all regarding their PCR test option.  This is the first I heard about it through this Forum that there may be an option to take it at the Orlando Airport through them.  We still have not heard anything from Atlas about of FEB 14 sailing. We did get an email from an Atlas rep saying they will be sending out the email details soon!

CVS offers a free PCR test but we don't know if we will get the results back before we board the plane.  So we already prepaid $150 each to take our PCR test on Feb 11.  We are also signing up for the free PCR test at CVS on Feb 11, just in case something goes wrong with the paid PCR test.  Had I known that we could take the PCR test at the Orlando airport as an option, I would have just taken the CVS PCR test for free and if the results came by Sunday, my wife and I could have saved ourselves $300! If not, we could have taken the PCR test in Orlando and pay their fees.

Regardless, Atlas is certainly not making this easy for us passengers!

@swkrupa78So I was finally able to sign up for our tests (February 2 departure) now that we have flight information and I didn't see anything about how you would denote that you need a PCR. I signed us up for paid PCRs at MCO earlier that day (they promise 60 minute results) that were $175/ea as a backup. You may be glad to have just done the paid PCRs at home with less stress and waiting around at the airport.

@cpw0807 Thanks for your reply! Sounds like the we are all incurring faced with this issue and expense. Its too bad that Atlas could not arrange to have the PCR (vs the Antigen) tests be done on Sunday.  Many of us are flying in the day before so they could have made arrangements. Even if they chipped in and helped defray some of the cost.  It would make our lives less stressful.

Hope you have a great trip!

For what it's worth, I can describe my personal experience on the now-cancelled Jan 6 sailing. At that time, it was just thought that Atlas would be performing antigen tests in Orlando for all passengers. I got tested about 54 hours before the flight departure in my county. I didn't get my results back by the time the check-in process started in Orlando. However, all passengers were given a rapid PCR test after we dropped off our check-in luggage. We had to wait in a room for about an hour while our results were pending. It was quite anxious, since I did see a few people pulled out of the room for positive results. When everyone in each travelling group (usually two people but some were travelling in higher numbers together) got their negative result in the form of an official paper report, we got to move to the large ballroom where some light refreshments and beverages were served, along with some music and dance performances. We did not have to pay for the rapid PCR test given by Atlas.

The Argentinian online form did not require upload of either vaccination record or covid test result. I believe they now require you to show paper documents for those.

Has anyone on the Feb 14 sailing received any communications from Atlas about the trip? Our agent sent us the flight info but the 8 of traveling still have not gotten the letter about protocols and Medvac insurance. I scheduled prepaid our PCR test prior to flying but now it seems Atlas is offering a free PCR test at the airport according to one of these posts? Wish Atlas would respond!!

3 hours ago, swkrupa78 said:

Has anyone on the Feb 14 sailing received any communications from Atlas about the trip? Our agent sent us the flight info but the 8 of traveling still have not gotten the letter about protocols and Medvac insurance. I scheduled prepaid our PCR test prior to flying but now it seems Atlas is offering a free PCR test at the airport according to one of these posts? Wish Atlas would respond!!

Just FYI, we are on the Feb 2nd sailing and we just got our information on Thursday the 21st.  What I read was that we still needed to get the PCR test ahead of time for Argentina over and above what Atlas is doing in Orlando.

We are on the Feb. 14 sailing and have had no communication with Atlas yet.  We have arranged for a paid PCR test on Feb. 11, but if Atlas' test meets Argentina's requirement, we could cancel that one.  Wish we could get a definitive answer about whether the MCO test by Atlas meets the requirements.  So frustrating.

ey Everyone, We Finally received our communications this morning from ATLAS about of Feb 14 cruise. Not only did I get the email from Atlas and a subsequent email from my TA, hours later the FedEx package arrived with all of the documents we need for our trip.  So, I guess its official and we can not wait to meet everyone and enjoy this once in a life adventure.

I know Atlas is a new carrier and it seems that they are going through some growing pains with communications.  But from what I have read so far, the trip itself is going to be amazing.  Let's hope no one gets Covid so we can all enjoy this trip!

Steve K