Accessible cabins/Using an electric scooter

welshladyb

Hi. I was hoping someone might know if any of the smaller “ posher” lines have cabin corridors that will allow access to the cabins/suites. I could get around a cabin without assistance so don’t need the scooter all the time. The number of accessible cabins are very very limited, hence my question. Thanks in advance for any help.

14 hours ago, welshladyb said:

Hi. I was hoping someone might know if any of the smaller “ posher” lines have cabin corridors that will allow access to the cabins/suites. I could get around a cabin without assistance so don’t need the scooter all the time. The number of accessible cabins are very very limited, hence my question. Thanks in advance for any help.

Howdy @welshladyb emo22.gif

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards and thank you for your new thread on the Cruise Blogs & Websites forum! 👍 However your thread is off topic here. The forum is for members to share their personal travelogue-type cruise-related blogs or websites with their fellow Cruise Critic members.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Disabled Cruise Travel forum. It is where Cruise Critic members with physical limitations share their advice & experiences. Browse through the thread titles on this forum l👀king for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on this newly moved thread or any other thread or forum where you are interested in the future replies. You will not have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! emo49.gif See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Sometimes it depends on the age of the ship.  For instance, we sailed on Oceania Insignia several years ago, and I was negatively impressed at how narrow the corridor was outside our cabin,  and that can make it difficult to turn your scooter to line up to enter the cabin.  Insignia is an R class ship, Oceania owns four of them, and the other four are owned by Azamara.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Most accessible cabins are located next to the lifts, if you select a cabin where you don’t have to go any distance down the corridor this is definitely the way to go. The other thing is to book well ahead to get any accessible cabin. I also don’t think there’s much difference between cruise lines for corridor width, no matter how glamorous they are. 

We were just on the NCL Bliss and Carnival Panorama with DH new scooter.  Both ships are on the newer side. We had a regular room. Had no problem with the halls but getting through the cabin door was hard at first. Our scooter is 191/2" wide and is a travel scooter.  Most of the scooter that you rent would not get into a regular room. After the first couple of times going into the room we  did pretty good.   Would pick a handicap room if available .  Some of the regular cabins were facing a hall way going from port to starboard.  These rooms would be good, you have a direct entry into room. Hope this helps. 

On 1/20/2022 at 12:26 PM, welshladyb said:

It's not only the corridors that can be a problem.   We were trying to book a cruise on the  Sirena. an Oceania ship and there were no accessible cabins.  The cabins are so small that there was nowhere to put the scooter in the cabin so we could charge the battery.  We booked with HAL instead and got an accessible cabin that is big enough to accommodate my Travelscoot.

Accessible cabins tend to book early so it's important to try to book far ahead of time.