Recent MSC Cruisers

gmbhardy

Just wondered if anyone has cruised on MSC since they made “all inclusive” insurance mandatory for Canadians? Their website stares that you must present proof of insurance during the check in process. I have a university education and managed a muti million dollar corporation and I have trouble understanding all the terms,  conditions.and applications. How someone is going to go through a 50 page document to check your coverage during check in,  is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Just wondered if anyone has cruised on MSC since they made “all inclusive” insurance mandatory for Canadians? Their website stares that you must present proof of insurance during the check in process. I have a university education and managed a muti million dollar corporation and I have trouble understanding all the terms,  conditions.and applications. How someone is going to go through a 50 page document to check your coverage during check in,  is beyond me.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:09 PM, gmbhardy said:

I am sailing March 5th and after I paid in full was notified I had to purchase this type of insurance. Was I mad? Yes

Did I want to cancel? Yes. Although I am sailing with 7 other people so I thought ok here we go. 

For what I was instructed from MSC (I went with Tugo) honestly one isn't better than the other but I chose Tugo because on the Canadian website refers anyone who is booking. 

Your coverage has to have Covid Medical, trip interruption and trip cancellation (that includes covid). People are getting confused and saying no to trip interruption and trip cancellation because they have coverage through work or credit card but when I looked..most coverages with employers/credit cards the minute you say covid, insurance it is void. You need coverage for your whole stay so if you are arriving at ahead of time or remain in the US after the cruise include that time. Additionally, you need to provide the declaration of the policy when boarding. 

Edited by Reenie75

12 hours ago, Reenie75 said:. Additionally, you need to provide the declaration of the policy when boarding. 

Thanks for posting. I’m also embarking on March 5 on the Meragvilia. What exactly do you mean “provide declaration of the  policy”. Do you just need to sign off that you have one or do you have to present the actual policy? Thanks.

8 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Thanks for posting. I’m also embarking on March 5 on the Meragvilia. What exactly do you mean “provide declaration of the  policy”. Do you just need to sign off that you have one or do you have to present the actual policy? Thanks.

When you get the paperwork from the insurance the declaration of the policy is basically a summary page of coverage. Additionally today I called MSC you can add the name and policy number to your web check in. 

Meragvilia is a beautiful ship I was on that ship 2 years ago. 

14 minutes ago, Reenie75 said:

When you get the paperwork from the insurance the declaration of the policy is basically a summary page of coverage. Additionally today I called MSC you can add the name and policy number to your web check in. 

Meragvilia is a beautiful ship I was on that ship 2 years ago. 

What did you pick as the destination for the cruise -- the USA?

As do they review your policy at the port?  I wonder how they figure out yes or no?

On 1/28/2022 at 7:23 PM, xcell said:

What did you pick as the destination for the cruise -- the USA?

As do they review your policy at the port?  I wonder how they figure out yes or no?

I called Tugo directly advised when I was entering the US, how long I would be in the cruise then when I was leaving the US. 

I had to give MSC my policy number on my web check in. They advised me to bring the paperwork on the trip. 

Edited by Reenie75

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.  We are travelling to the Med in July.  Family of 4 is ~$800Cdn on Tugo. 

- What did you use for the total price?  Just the cruise total or cruise, flights, hotel, etc?  Makes a big difference.  

- Its a Med cruise to multiple countries, what is the "destination"? 

thanks much

5 hours ago, bwlewer said:

Hi there.  We are travelling to the Med in July.  Family of 4 is ~$800Cdn on Tugo. 

- What did you use for the total price?  Just the cruise total or cruise, flights, hotel, etc?  Makes a big difference.  

thanks much

Eastern Caribbean 9 days 2 adults & 1 teen is was $490/CAD

6 hours ago, bwlewer said:

thanks much

You use the non-refundable total. If the hotel can be cancelled up to a day or 2 before, I would exclude it. I would probably exclude flights if there is a possibility of a voucher, because insurers consider that as a refund.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:24 PM, 14Canadian said:

It’s time for all of us to give our business to those cruise lines who appreciate us and are willing to make our travel a pleasure and not a painful experience by putting all these kind of conditions.

I couldn't agree more ! 

I was excited because I saw a great All in and Fly deal for a cruise from St Maarten on the Seaview for only $1300 pp. 

Until I saw that PCR is required for entry, the (somewhat silly) all inclusive insurance requirements, and then the PCR that you'll need to get onboard to return home - the costs suddenly increased to $2000 pp 

I get the safety measures but feel like it's taken to the extreme, especially considering MSC is doing jack squat to help. I will definitely be looking elsewhere to fulfill my cruising fix! 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:44 PM, gnome12 said:

You use the non-refundable total. If the hotel can be cancelled up to a day or 2 before, I would exclude it. I would probably exclude flights if there is a possibility of a voucher, because insurers consider that as a refund.

Thanks much!

We have a Med cruise booked for May and I have just discovered MSC’s insurance requirement. Seems like a cash grab to me. For one, why do you have to insure the entire trip length? If it is MSC requiring the insurance for the cruise surely you can just buy insurance for that portion of your trip. Sounds like the insurance company is taking advantage of the situation.  So much for the MSC “cruise with confidence” and “we’ll take care of you”, it seems like we’re all taking care of ourselves because we’ve had to fork out for an overpriced insurance policy and if anyone pays it will be the insurance company not MSC..