New to Fred

markfull

We are considering a Northern Lights cruise from Newcastle in March '23 , sailing on Bollette.

We've not sailed with Fred before and have a few questions that I hope someone can help with!

• There's the possibility of getting a free drinks and tips package if we book soon - is it worth it (a 9 night cruise) or are we likely to get a better deal nearer the time?
  • Does anyone know the sort of price one pays for the speciallity dining?
  • I hear that there are Terrace Cabins, where there is  patio door to the deck - does anyone have experience of them? Not sure I'd like the rest of the passengers wandering past our cabin!
  • Is 'freedom dining' available?
  • Does the retractable roof cover the pool area?
  • What currency is used on board?

I think that's it - for now!

Thanks in advance

Edited by markfull

• Definitely worth getting the packages if you can.  If you wait the cost of a drinks package is likely to soar.   
  • Speciality dining in the Vasco is free and in Colours is £5 pp.  
  • Terrace Cabins can't be looked into from the deck.  I know it feels a bit spooky but it's quite safe.
  • Freedom dining is usually available if you pay extra.  
  • The retractable roof covers the entire pool area.
  • The currency is £ sterling.  

Hope that helps.  

6 hours ago, markfull said:

We are considering a Northern Lights cruise from Newcastle in March '23 , sailing on Bollette.

We've not sailed with Fred before and have a few questions that I hope someone can help with!

• There's the possibility of getting a free drinks and tips package if we book soon - is it worth it (a 9 night cruise) or are we likely to get a better deal nearer the time?
  • Does anyone know the sort of price one pays for the speciallity dining?
  • I hear that there are Terrace Cabins, where there is  patio door to the deck - does anyone have experience of them? Not sure I'd like the rest of the passengers wandering past our cabin!
  • Is 'freedom dining' available?
  • Does the retractable roof cover the pool area?
  • What currency is used on board?

I think that's it - for now!

Thanks in advance

Coravel has given excellent answers to most questions, but Freedom dining is an alternative to fixed dining which  Fred was going to bring in, but only on the two newly acquired ships.  However, the introduction has been delayed due to COVID and it is not clear when it will now become available, so best to ask Fred.  You may be able to book it for later cruises in the hopes it will be offered by the time you cruise, but you may still end up with fixed seating with the same table and dinner time every day, if Fred us still delaying it's introduction.  There is no plan to charge extra for selecting freedom dining, (if it becomes available), unless you book a saver fare, when you can select dining time at a cost, if your choice is available. 

There is a self service restaurant open every evening and the two select dining venues are available to book as Coravel mentioned. There is a plan to open a more up market speciality restaurant called The Forest Room, again only on the two newer ships, but I do not think that is open yet. Breakfast and lunch are open dining in all restaurants during their opening hours.  Also most room service is free.

The smaller ships only had a grill speciality restaurant pre covid, so likely the same when they start sailing.  I think the cost was £20pp pre covid.  Freedom dinning has not been  planned at all for them - I doubt the have the dining space to offer it on those ships.

The terrace cabins do not have a private outside area, but two steamer chairs are allocated to each cabin near the patio door.  The prom decks on those ships is very shady as there is a roof over the prom deck, so do not expect to sit in the sun outside those cabins.  IMO the are not worth the price, though some people like them. All cabins are a good size though, including the insides.

You should be able to find a list of drinks available on the package.  It is not as comprehensive a some cruise packages, but much cheaper.  The drinks are not expensive to buy on the ship either.

Edited by tring

For cruise prices you could look at the cruises which are taking place soon.  The reduced (saver) fares can be oferred 2 or 3 months before a cruise, but do not always appear.  Of course restrictions are in place with saver fares, like no cabin choice and other things - you can see the difference on the website.  Be aware reductions have been pretty high this year, though of course no one knows what will happen next year.  Cabins left late on are often not well placed, like front or back if the ship or noisy location of course, but that does not bother everyone.  You can still buy a drinks pack with a saver fare at the normal price of £19pppn and tips currently £5pppn.

Edited by tring

Thanks for clarifying the meaning of Freedom dining Barbara.  I had assumed it meant having the ability to change to a more suitable dining time when booking a saver fare.  I would certainly pay the fee to obtain early dining!  

1 hour ago, Coravel said:

Thanks for clarifying the meaning of Freedom dining Barbara.  I had assumed it meant having the ability to change to a more suitable dining time when booking a saver fare.  I would certainly pay the fee to obtain early dining!  

P&O use the term "freedom dining" and I have known other cruise lines use the term "open dining", though I think Fred actually uses the term "flexible dining", but all the same thing.  Currently Fred's faq's say he will only be offering fixed dining whilst covid restrictions are in place, though the original plan for the newer ships was to have flexible dining in the upstairs, (deck5), restaurants, with the deck 4 restaurants being used fixed dining.  Whether a flexible option is brought in remains to be seen, though it would always be our choice.  Were are not convinced Fred and his restaurant managers are committed to the idea though, having spoken to one of the restaurant managers about it.

First sitting is the most popular, so often it is fully booked once a fair number of bookings have been made for a cruise, but always worth asking.

Edited by tring

On our last cruise, we were sat with two other couples who who had holidayed together for years and while we enjoyed their company they did tend to steer every conversation to an incident they had shared.  We also met a couple we had previously cruised with and dined with them in the speciality restaurants.  Naturally we always informed our allocated table companions and our waiter that we would not be joining them the following evening so that they weren't waiting for us.  I think it worked very well for all of us.  

We have only ever used first sitting because we hate dining late.  If we choose to go to a show there is still enough time afterwards to meet up with friends and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.  We did stay up for a disco until 1am on one cruise when they had a retired Radio One producer acting as DJ.  

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you decide, I would urge you to go on a Northern Lights Cruise.

We went with Fred from Newcastle 3 years ago.

3 am one morning and we were on deck watching the Northern Lights. One of the most moving experiences ever. 7 day cruise and saw them twice. 

We went on the Boudica in March 2013 and saw them from a Sami camp north of Tromso. They had a large tent where people could have soup or beer and that's where most people stayed but those of us who braved the cold were treated to one of Nature's greatest spectacles.  The northern lights could be seen the entire time we were there and what was particularly fascinating was seeing the constellations shining through the aurorae which was constantly changing shape before our eyes.  The next night we were in Alta but it was snowing so nothing could be seen but it was still magical standing in doorways on a mountain with snow falling down.  We were the only ones to stay outside which probably shows how crazy we are.  But there was a pub on the mountain and it was rammed full.  Since there was a huge outbreak of Norovirus on the cruise we were safer outdoors anyway.  There is no guarantee of seeing the lights but don't get too hung up about solar maximums and sunspot counts.  When we went there were no sunspots at all!  The following evening we were sailing past Tromso and we saw the lights from the deck of the ship.  I asked at reception if the captain could turn out the lights on deck and he did.  That made a huge difference to our enjoyment.