Shore Excursions NE/Canada recommendations please

Caddy928

On 3/11/2022 at 1:55 PM, Treasure Hunter said:

If you aren’t a hiker, Bar Harbor is a charming little town with great lobster rolls and ice cream. Easy walk up from the tender. There is a dock with a whale watching boat. I asked the captain where to sit where it wasn’t bumpy and he pointed to the dock( Maine humor). Try to take a private tour in Newport so you can see more than one mansion. They are spectacular. We will just browse the shopping village downtown as we have been to Newport many times. 

If you decide to skip Acadia National Park, you will miss one of the most gorgeous national parks in the world! It is so much more than a hiking destination. At minimum I would suggest a trolley or bus tour of the Park Loop road. 

• Like 2

If you have excursions that include Hopewell Rocks https://www.nbparks.ca/en/parks/33/hopewell-rocks-provincial-park , St Martins, Fundy bay park (https://fundytrailparkway.com/) in New Brunswick, take it.

We rented a car several times and went to those places... which are amazing. However now price to rent a car is outrages... so I am taking this tour

Hopewell Rocks Tidal Discovery

Highlights

• Bay of Fundy: Discover scenic forests, diverse plants, Canadian wildlife and the highest tidal changes on the globe.
  • Hopewell Rocks: Walk along the ocean floor surrounded by sky-high sandstone flowerpot formations along Canada's rugged coastline.
  • Lunch: Your full-day excursion also includes a box meal that consists of a sandwich, veggies, snacks and dessert.

Important details and advisements

• Guests must be able to walk approximately .3 miles over uneven sandy, rocky and wet surfaces, with inclines and about 100 steps and extended periods of standing.
  • Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
  • Guests needing special assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
  • Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
  • Tidal activity or stage of the tides cannot be guaranteed.
  • The drive between port and Hopewell Rocks is approximately 2 hours 15 minutes each way.
  • Tour sequence may vary.
  • Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
  • Tour duration may vary between 7 and 7.5 hours depending on port call times.
  • Prices of Shore Excursions include local transportation, such as motor coaches, limousines, taxis and boats (unless otherwise indicated in the excursion description). Meals and/or beverages are only provided when specified in the excursion description. Snorkeling, scuba and golf tours only include the equipment specified as part of the price. Shore Excursions are subject to cancellation or modification, depending on the number of guests participating. In the event of an excursion cancellation or modification, we will endeavor to provide advance notice to you. Certain tours have a minimum booking requirement, or must be limited to a maximum number of participants. Not all excursions described on this website may be available during a particular sailing. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. reserves the right to cancel any Shore Excursion due to inclement weather conditions, or any other reason whatsoever, and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guest(s) by reason of such cancellation. Full refunds will be extended to guests holding tickets for cancelled Shore Excursions. The Guest accepts that Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. acts as agent only for passengers and has no responsibility for the performance of the Shore Excursions herein specified. See your travel partner for additional terms and conditions applicable to your purchase of a Shore Excursion. Shore Excursions can be modified or cancelled up to 48 hours prior to tour port arrival without penalty. Tours involving flights, trains, special events, overnight stays, hotel stays and Private Journeys must be cancelled 30 days prior to sailing to avoid cancellation penalties. Other restrictions may apply. In the unlikely event that your tour is significantly delayed, we'll make all the arrangements for you to return to the ship at the earliest opportunity at no expense to you.

But this is with RCI.

In Halifax I would recommend Halifax highlights and Peggy's Cove

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 11:14 AM, sippican said:

If you decide to skip Acadia National Park, you will miss one of the most gorgeous national parks in the world! It is so much more than a hiking destination. At minimum I would suggest a trolley or bus tour of the Park Loop road. 

I know many people agree with this; we've been there several times, and have yet to see what the attraction is. We do love the outdoors, trees, vistas, but Acadia just did not fulfil any of that for us.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I know many people agree with this; we've been there several times, and have yet to see what the attraction is. We do love the outdoors, trees, vistas, but Acadia just did not fulfil any of that for us.

Where exactly did you go in Acadia that did not have tress and vistas?  We go every year and the views just take my breath away.

I can understand those who are not nature fans, feeling it's not their cup of tea. Strangely, when you do a search of "most visited", "most Popular", "prettiest" , Acadia is always pretty high on the list. Sorry you were disappointed. What is your favorite National Park?

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, shipgeeks said:

I am really surprised to hear that, it is a gorgeous park with so many amazing views, from the top of Cadillac Mountain, to the walks by the shore, to Jordan pond and many other places.  As well as hiking of different level of difficulty from mainly flat to very steep.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 12:45 PM, kmerlin14 said:

Roads to the Sea are fantastic, but I'm not sure they operate from Saint John. There are a few ship tours to Hopewell Rocks from Saint John, but you will spend a lot of time on the bus (much as I love the place). However, the Fundy Parkway is close to Saint John and during the pandemic they opened up all the way to Sussex and they are supposed to open the link to Fundy National Park this summer. It offers spectacular scenery, so it might be better option. I've included some pics of the Fundy Parkway1614870837_fundyparkwaycoastline.jpg.74ccaa51ee5282865d2fdfd83ce87314.jpg485998434_suspensionbridge.jpg.166074ad1441f083521f6e3a95abb978.jpg226683040_waltonsglengorge.jpg.1704da42b60602224f35b625cd3d75a1.jpg

Well I am obviously a horrible New Brunswicker because I have no idea where these pictures are from.  I am missing out 🙂  Where were these? I see a road trip in my future!

I live across the street from the Saint John Cruise terminal.  Good news for you Lobster lovers.  Steamers on Water Street is opening up on April 21st.  I donot like Lobster myself, but apparently theirs is very good.

In Newport, if you want to see something  a bit different, see if they still offer walk-in tours for Trinity Church:

https://www.trinitynewport.org/

My niece was married there and we did a tour before the ceremony.  It was very interesting.  It's an uphill hike (on city streets) from the port area, but a nice walk.

• Like 1

We are also going on a cruise to Canada in June 2022 but visit only 2 ports - Halifax and Saint John's. Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these trips in Saint John's might be better than the other? We've been to SJ before but didn't get to the Bay of Funday. This time we're looking at these excursions on RCL:

Saint John & Bay of Fundy Top 10 - (6.5 hours long) I admit I like the sound of this one because of the stop at an Irish pub. Last time in SJ we did a pub crawl through Norwegian & just had the best time

Saint John & Bay of Fundy Up Close (short at 2.5 hours)

Bay of Fundy & Fundy Trail (longest trip at 7 hours - would it be worth all that time spent?)

I'm not sure what to do in Halifax. We've already been here 3 times and it looks like most of the excursions include Peggy's Cove and/or Titanic cemetery, both of which we've seen. There isn't much to choose from on RCL unfortunately.

Thank you for your thoughts!

On 4/21/2022 at 3:43 PM, missjanet said:

We are also going on a cruise to Canada in June 2022 but visit only 2 ports - Halifax and Saint John's. Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these trips in Saint John's might be better than the other? We've been to SJ before but didn't get to the Bay of Funday. This time we're looking at these excursions on RCL:

Saint John & Bay of Fundy Top 10 - (6.5 hours long) I admit I like the sound of this one because of the stop at an Irish pub. Last time in SJ we did a pub crawl through Norwegian & just had the best time

Saint John & Bay of Fundy Up Close (short at 2.5 hours)

Bay of Fundy & Fundy Trail (longest trip at 7 hours - would it be worth all that time spent?)

I'm not sure what to do in Halifax. We've already been here 3 times and it looks like most of the excursions include Peggy's Cove and/or Titanic cemetery, both of which we've seen. There isn't much to choose from on RCL unfortunately.

Thank you for your thoughts!

The thing with the Bay of Fundy is to be there when the tide changes. So your tour might or might not hit the time right. We went out to a bridge just outside of town to watch the "reversing rapids." It's interesting if you're into earth science and we found it fascinating to watch. 

Consider doing something on your own in Halifax. Maritime Museum, Public Garden, Citadel--have you done these before? there's also a museum of Immigration right at the port. 

Self-guided tour – Newport

All dollar amounts shown are Pre-Pandemic. 

Walk to Gateway Transportation Bus Station & Visitor Center.

Turn left (north) from the tender dock along America's Cup Ave.

Purchase an all-day ticket from RIPTA for $6 at the center.

Bus #67 (trolley) which takes you to the mansions.

Purchase a 2-house ticket @ $25.99pp from Newport Mansions Org.

Tour The Breakers and Marble House & Grounds -- plan on 1 ½ hours per mansion.

The Breakers opens at 9 a.m. (Bus stop # 3).

Marble House opens at 10 am. (Bus stop #5).

If time allows check out the Cliff Walk (partial walk).  Access points are limited.

Take the trolley back to the Gateway Center.

Visit Bowen's Wharf and Bannister's Wharf.

Optional - Visit Thames Street (very short walk from the harbor) which has many nautical shops

Or take a walk near the harbor to view the sail boats.

Note:  The same Princess Tour was $84.95pp

John

• Like 3

19 hours ago, John99 said:

Self-guided tour – Newport

All dollar amounts shown are Pre-Pandemic. 

Walk to Gateway Transportation Bus Station & Visitor Center.

Turn left (north) from the tender dock along America's Cup Ave.

Purchase an all-day ticket from RIPTA for $6 at the center.

Bus #67 (trolley) which takes you to the mansions.

Purchase a 2-house ticket @ $25.99pp from Newport Mansions Org.

Tour The Breakers and Marble House & Grounds -- plan on 1 ½ hours per mansion.

The Breakers opens at 9 a.m. (Bus stop # 3).

Marble House opens at 10 am. (Bus stop #5).

If time allows check out the Cliff Walk (partial walk).  Access points are limited.

Take the trolley back to the Gateway Center.

Visit Bowen's Wharf and Bannister's Wharf.

Optional - Visit Thames Street (very short walk from the harbor) which has many nautical shops

Or take a walk near the harbor to view the sail boats.

Note:  The same Princess Tour was $84.95pp

John

You can also download the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) Pocket Guide to Newport at:

ripta_newportpocketguide_may2020_web_4_.pdf

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:43 PM, missjanet said:

I live across the street from the cruise terminal in Saint John.  What pub is it?  O'Leary's?  If that is your main reason for the tour, it is literally a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal.  There are lots of restaurants, bars, pubs etc within a few block radius.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 4:53 PM, SueMo said:

For Bar Harbor, google “Island Explorer Acadia” and you’ll find the maps and timetables for the free bus that takes you into Acadia National Park.  Walk up Main St. to the Village Green and check in at the visitors booth there. If you have a National Park Pass, bring it for free entrance into the park.  The schedules have changed since covid, but a good itinerary used to be to take bus #3 to Otter Cliff.  Hike the Ocean Path back to Sand Beach.  Ocean Path is mostly flat, easy, and parallels the loop road, offering scenic views and numerous access points to outcroppings above the rocky shore, including major attractions like Thunder Hole.  Then taken Bus #4 to Jordan Pond.  Have lunch here by the lake.  Very good chowder and popovers.  Return to town on bus #5 and look at the shops.

Any advice for us cruising in late October?  I see the Island Explorer stops service on Oct. 10 unfortunately. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreams0014 said:

Any advice for us cruising in late October?  I see the Island Explorer stops service on Oct. 10 unfortunately. 

The Queen Mary 2 is sailing NE/CAN in the later part of September 2022..

22 hours ago, Dreams0014 said:

Look at the Acadia National Park website...we booked a tour with them a couple years ago and it was great.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, SueMo said:

Try https://olistrolley.com.  They have a tour of Acadia National Park for $53.

On 5/12/2022 at 10:27 PM, Ashland said:

Look at the Acadia National Park website...we booked a tour with them a couple years ago and it was great.

Just a hint - if doing a bus or trolley tour of Acadia National Park, choose a seat on the right/drivers side of the vehicle. The Park Loop Road is one-way and the ocean sights will be on that side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, sippican said:

Just a hint - if doing a bus or trolley tour of Acadia National Park, choose a seat on the right/drivers side of the vehicle. The Park Loop Road is one-way and the ocean sights will be on that side.

Sorry aren't drivers usually on the left side?

4 hours ago, nyold said:

Sorry aren't drivers usually on the left side?

I question the earlier post, too.  When we did the park loop, it was on a bus with the driver at the left. We sat on the left, the route was clockwise, and the water (when visible) was on the left.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 4:36 PM, shipgeeks said:

I question the earlier post, too.  When we did the park loop, it was on a bus with the driver at the left. We sat on the left, the route was clockwise, and the water (when visible) was on the left.

And Nyold, you are absolutely correct about the driver sitting on the left. I meant to say right behind the driver, and yes that would be on the left side of the bus or trolley.  Thank you for pointing that out. The route is indeed a one-way clockwise road in the loop section, with the ocean on the left.

Edited by sippican
  • Like 3

On 5/20/2022 at 12:56 PM, sippican said:

And Nyold, you are absolutely correct about the driver sitting on the left. I meant to say right behind the driver, and yes that would be on the left side of the bus or trolley.  Thank you for pointing that out. The route is indeed a one-way clockwise road in the loop section, with the ocean on the left.

Thank you this is very helpful. I booked the tour, very excited!!

• Like 1