losin weight only to gain it back!

ShadoWdrummer

how many people go on diets before a cruise only and than when they're on it try to get their moneys worth? all i can say is....LOOK OUT PIZZA BUFFET! :D

Its not working. Been on a diet for 5 weeks and losing very little. Its much easier to gain than lose. Cruise in 23 days.

Wife says "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".

I'm tending to disagree when i'm surrounded by great food.

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. For health reasons my doctor told me to lose weight. I was 5'9" and 240 pounds heavy. She put me in touch with another doctor, and over the last year I have lost roughly 60 pounds. I have kept to about 180 pounds since then. It was 1 year exactly on Feb 16th.

The reason I mention this is that I do plan to eat whatever I want on the cruise next month. BUT one thing I have noticed is that due to my diet/exercise program, when I go to a buffet, I seldom eat very much. I get about 1 plate and some dessert. I feel like a change has taken place inwardly that makes me really not care about stuffing, like I used to. To be honest, the only bad experience I had on my 2004 Ecstacy cruise was my own pigging out. I hurt myself. I even joked to another cruiser, "Is it a bad sign when you aren't able to carry all your own food?" I was referring to the plates, etc.... It was funny then, but since I've lost the weight I don't do that any more.

Ok, just my 2 cents worth and not exactly on topic. Sorry, but weightloss is my soapbox and I love to preach....

I normally gain about 1/2 lb. a day on a cruise. However, the past two cruises I didn't gain a single pound. I think I became more aware of 'walking it off' - and made sure I used the stairs most of the time instead of elevators, and also made a coupla trips around the outside decks every day. Voila! - no weight gain.:)

I'm glad to hear other people do this too. DH thinks I am nuts trying to lose 5 lbs before the cruise so I can eat what I want - mainly desserts which I rarely eat at home. 18 days and 3 lbs to go....its not gonna happen but I tried. :)

We always use the stairs instead of the elevators and this really goes a long way towards keeping those extra pounds off. One year we were on the verandah deck and only had to walk down one flight of stairs to the pool and buffet - gained weight that has stayed with me since - 9 yrs later. Too much soft serve ice cream.

Between cruise 3 and 4 I lost about 80 lbs. Since the last cruise I am back up 20 (was higher but got back on track). My wife and I try to be good for the month or so before the cruise and then our penance on the cruise is we are not allowed to use the elevators and do a dozen or so laps on the track 1-2 times a day at sea. Never weighed just before then after a cruise tho.

I always lose between 20-25 pounds before i cruise and gain 5- 10 lbs on the cruise....I am almost positive it is the fruitty drinks like pina coloda's and strawberry daquiris they have as much calories as a big mac... but again it could be the breakfast, brunch ,lunch ,afternoon snack ,dinner and late night snack that does it lol..

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. For health reasons my doctor told me to lose weight. I was 5'9" and 240 pounds heavy. She put me in touch with another doctor, and over the last year I have lost roughly 60 pounds. I have kept to about 180 pounds since then. It was 1 year exactly on Feb 16th.

The reason I mention this is that I do plan to eat whatever I want on the cruise next month. BUT one thing I have noticed is that due to my diet/exercise program, when I go to a buffet, I seldom eat very much. I get about 1 plate and some dessert. I feel like a change has taken place inwardly that makes me really not care about stuffing, like I used to. To be honest, the only bad experience I had on my 2004 Ecstacy cruise was my own pigging out. I hurt myself. I even joked to another cruiser, "Is it a bad sign when you aren't able to carry all your own food?" I was referring to the plates, etc.... It was funny then, but since I've lost the weight I don't do that any more.

Ok, just my 2 cents worth and not exactly on topic. Sorry, but weightloss is my soapbox and I love to preach....

I just had to reply to you, this is my "dear to heart" topic as well. I've lost 87 lbs. since 3/11/05, our stories sound ALOT alike, we should email or something?????

Last year I'd lost 50 or so lbs before our cruise, I was doing WW anyway not just because of the cruise. The 1st cruise day I said "oh, no thank you " to everything, 2nd day it was" well, let me just have a bite ", 3rd day is was "katie bar the door" . I enjoyed myself, and just promised myself to get right back on track when I got home, and luckily I did just that. I've lost 37 more lbs. since last Oct. and plan on alot more by Sept 17th!!! I will again enjoy my vacation, food and all. I am amazed at how much differently I handle myself now. I'll get off my soap box now too.

can't wait till I get to start packing again!!!!!!!!!!!!

nalady98, I could talk about my weightloss program all day. Frankly I wish that other people knew about it because it really made losing weight painless and easy. In my case, it is not about a product you drink before bedtime or any gimmicky thing like that. It's just knowing what foods effect you in what way. Some foods I eat make me feel hungry, so that I tend to keep eating- it becomes an endless loop. Other food makes me feel satisfied. Then there is the need to eat for no particular reason. When that hits me I always have food to eat that is good for me. It is just as easy to look forward to eating something healthy as it is to eating the bad stuff. It just takes time to figure out what you enjoy that is good for you. I will give one quick example. I used to eat a plate of cookies with milk every night before bedtime. Now I eat a plate of orange slices sprinkled with walnut halves. I love this snack.

Also, I do not deprive myself of anything if I really want it. I love texmex food, so once in a while I allow myself some. Even it is not all bad, for instance tortilla soup with chicken tacos (with corn tortillas). But I would not try to say no thank you on a cruise. I will do as I please.

I have one last hint for anyone else who is trying to diet: You only fail if you quit trying. Eating out and going off the wagon is not the end of everything! Start again the next day. If you fail, start again. Just don't give up. And don't be miserable. There is plenty of good food out there to be enjoyed! You just have to find it (and that is a personal quest).

Ok, one really last thing. Do not count on your husband, wife, child, etc... to help you or support you. My spouse is my worst enemy where eating is concerned. I had to tell myself that she is free to do as she pleases, as are my children, but what I eat is my decision and mine alone. Frankly, my wife married a big man. Now that I am thinner and more muscular, she may feel that I am not the man she married. You have to understand other people's feelings as well. Anyhow, it's just a matter of taking responsibility for your own health and well-being.

If you're still reading thanks for undulging me in my mini-rant.

This is a subject that hits close to home for me, also. Last year I struggled for 5 months and could only lose 10 pounds. Then, my son gave me a book for Mother's Day, The Abs Diet. I was able to lose another 20 pounds in 4 months. Then, I had surgery, so for about 3 months I couldn't exercise ~ 12 pounds gained. :mad: Now, I've lost all but about 5 pounds of that, and hope to get rid of those 5 before my cruise in about a month.

Last cruise, I gained 8 pounds. This time, I'm hoping to be more active and maybe not gain quite so much. I agree with mfs2k ~ it's MUCH easier to put it on than it is to take it off. :mad:

I'm doing Weight Watchers and it is working wonderfully for me. I don't deprive myself either, that only makes me pig out when I don't need to do that for sure! This has been a really emotional journey for me and I enjoy everyday of my life now. On my plan I can have pretty much anything I want as long as I stay within a certain range, it is awesome. It will be a year on March 11th and I'm down 87 lbs., so far!!!It's nice to find others who share the same passion for this, thanks for your "ranting", I love it!!!

Happy cruising~~~~~

Sue, how's your health? How's your cholestrol? It was the cholestrol that got me started. To me it is all about health. I couldn't care less about the vanity aspects of it. Also, I am not a big fan of the emaciated look! :p If you are in good health and comfortable with yourself, don't be too hard on yourself (not that you are it's just that I see two frowny-faces in your last post.) If you do need to lose weight for health reasons find a good doctor to help you. I was very fortunate in finding a particular doc here in the hospital where I work. Now he uses me as his 'testimonial' person, and I don't mind. I guess the best advice I would give you and others is to not let it get you down, and don't give up. Honestly, the key is finding food you like that is not fattening, and doing regular exercise. The exercise part is hard for a lot of people. I walk here at work. I have developed several different routes both inside and outside the building. I also have an elliptical trainer at home and a couple of dumbbells. It's all good.... I use the trainer while watching TV and it makes the time fly!

I have lost 16lbs and 8 to go before our cruise. Our cruise is April 16th. I started in July, plateau out then joined a gym in Nov. I am now down to loosing about a 1 lb a week. I will work out while on the ship. I am depressed to hear that Foo-foo drinks have alot of calores!!!!!I LOVE those Strawberry daiquiris!! I have worked really hard to get this weight off, I work out 2 hours four times a week. I know I will gain some back, but hopefully not alot.

Macwoman

Sue, how's your health? How's your cholestrol? It was the cholestrol that got me started. To me it is all about health. I couldn't care less about the vanity aspects of it. Also, I am not a big fan of the emaciated look! :p If you are in good health and comfortable with yourself, don't be too hard on yourself (not that you are it's just that I see two frowny-faces in your last post.)

Although I do care about the way I look, it was health that got me started, too. Cholestrol was borderline a couple years ago, and I also have borderline high blood pressure. So, that is my main concern also. Plus, I just FEEL so much better physically and mentally when I'm not as heavy. The frowny faces were just frustration about the up-and-down weight. My plan is very sensible, good nutritious food, exercize, allow one "cheat" meal a week, and lose slowly (1/2 to 1 pound a week).

So who will be exercising while on board?? I plan on doing something more than just climbing stairs and swimming. I'm curious as to what programs there are, if they cost extra, when they have them, do we need to sign up for them, etc.

If anyone knows, please post!! If I wanna eat, I have to exercise, and right now I'm doing 60 minutes a day faithfully! I would like to keep that up even on vacation.

This is me totally!! I started in November with working out so I could be F-I-N-E for the cruise and wear my bikini.:D I knew that I needed to lose anyway, but the cruise is what gave me motivation to get it done. In January I started eating very healthy and 5-6 times a day. I was working out 4 days a week and lost 15 pounds with another 15 to go. I will not be able to lose much more before the cruise, becasue I pulled a muscle. My doctor told me to take 2 weeks off to give it a chance to heal. I'm just happy that this did not happen closer to the cruise. I will eat whatever I want on the cruise, but I know that now I have the skills to get whatever I gain off and the other 15 as well. ;)

So who will be exercising while on board?? I plan on doing something more than just climbing stairs and swimming. I'm curious as to what programs there are, if they cost extra, when they have them, do we need to sign up for them, etc.

If anyone knows, please post!! If I wanna eat, I have to exercise, and right now I'm doing 60 minutes a day faithfully! I would like to keep that up even on vacation.

I believe there are some classes, like yoga or pilates, that you do pay extra for.

But they have the gym with exercise equipment. I know, not much fun, but at least a great view, and the running track (in my case, a "walking" track) also.

Like one of the earlier posters, I'm doing Weight Watchers. I began last August, and the goal was to lose about 65 pounds. This was before we booked our cruise, so that was not a factor at all. What I love about WW is that I can eat anything. I am learning portion control. So far, I've lost just over 30 pounds. My cruise is still 10 months away, and it's certainly motivation...but I'm losing weight for me. I do hope to be well UNDER my goal for the cruise, 'cause I do want to try lots of new food and enjoy the cuisine!!!

Yes, I do plan to do some exercise...cause I want to eat...but not gain weight! :p

Great threat and some wonderful thoughts. Thanks!!!

Archived