losin weight only to gain it back!

ShadoWdrummer

"losin' weight only to gain it back"

I thought you were calling for me or something!!! After I had my daughter I started smoking again. I ended up losing my baby weight. Well, last year I quit smoking and gained a lot of weight! So, I am trying to figure out what I want to do for a diet. I need something more structured. Those work better for me!

We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary on Feb 6th. As is our custom, we had dinner at The Countyline Restaurant. Nothing we ate was on my diet-plan, or my approved list of foods. I told my wife I would not eat out again until I was standing on the Lido deck! She agreed. Sometime since then she has eaten out with some girl-friends. That's alright; it's up to her, but I am sticking to my guns. I believe the biggest drawback to my reaching my goal weight (176 pounds) has been our habit of eating out once a week. I have been maintaining 182-185 pounds since July... so, I have cut that out and picked up in the exercise department. Here's hoping!

3 month mission to lose. The cruise is my reward.

I love that idea. The guru's always say that you have to reward yourself!! I need more rewards!!!:rolleyes:

I just thought of somehting that I read the other day.

"Do not think of dieting as depriving yourself, you are making a decision to be healthy. When you are in a monogamous relationship/married you are depriving yourself of dating other people, but it is ok, because that is what you chose. Think of dieting the same way, you are not depriving yourself, you are in a commitment food relationship."

Good luck!!

A cruise is great motivation to lose weight. Before my last cruise I lost 30 lbs. Of course I gained 10 back on the cruise and never went back on the diet. Cruising again in April. Have been on a diet for three weeks now and lost 12lbs so far. Just hope I get back on it after the cruise. But I'm trying a new tactic this time. Looking into booking another one already so I have post-cruise motivation :D

I am not dieting before my cruise, I am dieting in order to book my cruise!! DH promised me I could book a cruise if I lost 40 lb. I joined LA Weight Loss back in December. Things have been VERY slow, but the weight is coming off. I have a target set date for April 25. I can't book a cruise before next February, though, because DH just started a new job. So I will have to keep the weight off all that time so I can look great in my bikini!! :D

I have a theory that a lot of the weight you gain on a cruise is water weight because of all the salt in the food. I think if you make sure you keep your water consumption up on a daily basis, that might keep some of the salt out of your system. (I know, I know, it's a tough decision to drink that water instead of the foo-foo drinks, but hey, ya gotta make choices.)

I have also always tried to take the stairs instead of the elevators to keep the weight under control. But I don't think I have ever really pigged out on the ship. Sure, I go to the buffet for breakfast and lunch, but I usually only sample several different things, not eat an entire serving of each. And I don't get a big thrill out of the ice cream. It tastes just like the ice cream they serve at my local chinese buffet, so I don't go all ga-ga over it. My biggest downfall is the alcohol! :eek:

We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary on Feb 6th. As is our custom, we had dinner at The Countyline Restaurant. Nothing we ate was on my diet-plan, or my approved list of foods. I told my wife I would not eat out again until I was standing on the Lido deck! She agreed. Sometime since then she has eaten out with some girl-friends. That's alright; it's up to her, but I am sticking to my guns. I believe the biggest drawback to my reaching my goal weight (176 pounds) has been our habit of eating out once a week. I have been maintaining 182-185 pounds since July... so, I have cut that out and picked up in the exercise department. Here's hoping!

Good for you, I admire your committment to yourself, they way i see it I am worth it, and today my body is not a garbage disposal!

Two pounds a week is a realistic goal- not too much, not too little. And think, it's 104 pounds in a year!! I always remind myself, I didn't get fat overnight, so I'm not going to lose it overnight.

So true-- I've been on law carb for about a yr. Have lost 45 ;bs and still goin. I prob could have lost more, but easy does it is best for me.

Now on a cruise I dont worry about the diest--on our last 7 dayer I gained only 3 lbs and ate what I wanted.. Lost 5 lbs the first week back home.

It's not really about :dieting: you just have have to eat healthy !

It was just last year (2005) after our Valor cruise when I lost track of my weight. I have been at the maximum I have even been before. My shirts were not fitting, my jeans were tight, and it was horrible. Since I have started watching what I was eating, I have lost 30lbs. and counting. When we board the Elation (my graduation cruise), I plan to watch what I eat, take the stairs, but still have a great time. Lobster, shrimp, veggies, fruits, and grains are not bad for you. Have a few Lobsters - just watch the butter. :-)

Pretty much every cruise I have been on I have gained a few pounds but as long as you do not get off track and start eating healthy again once you get back home, you should be ok.

My bikini.....is hung in front of my treadmill! SO when I run ...I picture myself looking better!!:)

I hung a pair of denim shorts on the wall in my bedroom, thanks to that Dannon yogurt commercial. I couldn't wear them at all anymore when I started. Now they are too big! It always helps to have a goal.

I'm also trying to lose about 15 pounds by my April 22nd cruise. I plan on eating whatever I want when I board. I don't care too much for ice cream, so I'm good there. Like others, the drinks are whats gonna get me. :) I don't care though, because I get a TON of exercise when I'm cruising. I dance my bootie off, sweat my bootie off tanning, and plan on working out a little too.

I hung a pair of denim shorts on the wall in my bedroom, thanks to that Dannon yogurt commercial. I couldn't wear them at all anymore when I started. Now they are too big! It always helps to have a goal.

That commercial is where I got the idea!!! :p

I want to loss about 15 20 pounds before going on a cruise so that way I can gain about 10ponds and still be happy where I am at. I just had a baby almost 8 months ago and have suggled and have not made it back to pre-pregnancy weight yet which was 125. So if I can loss 20 pounds and gain 10 back that would put me just a few pounds over pre-pregnancy.

I just wounder if I gain about 10 pounds during a cruise will I have a problem wearing the cloths I packed for the dinners?

I lost 10lbs before we cruised and put on 9lbs in 7days on the cruise. We pigged out! I ate more food in our first two sea days than I eat in a whole week at home. Loved it! Our last cruise I had gained 7lbs, so I knew this time to pack and wear my smallest clothes the first few days and my larger clothes the last few days. Worked out real well! Now I would like to lose 15lbs before our next cruise in 2007!

armywifefisher - what a cutie! ;)

I am also on WW (Points System) - I started in December and in spite of the holidays I managed to lose 17 lbs! It is a great program and really easy to follow! After a week or so it becomes almost automatic! I would like to lose another 10 lbs before the cruise (we'll see!) but even if I don't quite make it, I am happy to be going down!

One good thing - I didn't gain weight on my last cruise! Hopefully I'll be as lucky this time around!

I had gastric bypass in October 2005 and so far I've lost 104 pounds from my highest and 97 from my surgery weight. It *has* been very hard, especially the emotional stuff but I am so much happier now. I just took some 'before and current' pics last night after I got my before pics from my surgeon's office and until then I could not see the difference. My husband and I will be celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary on our cruise in April 2007. I plan on doing exactly what I'm doing now which is trying a little bit of everything, but only a LITTLE BIT.

I think that all of you that have shared your stories are a real inspiration and I'd like to say a big 'ol Congratulations!! To everyone that has experienced any kind of success, no matter how big or small, in your quest to be healthy and happy :)

MeLuvDaSea... Do you not eat out because you think there are no good choices to be made at a restaurant, or because you are afraid you won't be able to make a good choice once there. I have been on an extended weight loss journey myself and have learned many a thing, one of them being that trying to stay away from things I love, like going out to dinner, is a recipie for disaster. Moderation is the ultimate key IMHO. I only ask because I can't stand to see people who "diet" deprive themselves. Food is what got me to the wieght I was, and my relationship to it was way out of whack. Now it is back to being my friend and my love, not my master. My "diet" is now my rest of life eating style... enjoy food for what it is, partake of deliciousness often, but in moderation, and excercize. This will cause longevity and health, which is way better than looks anyway, but looks will come with it too. Best to you in your journey, hope it can still include going out with the wife to a nice dinner, if not every week at least every other, or once a month....:)

I love what Caine789 said a few posts ago about the relationship, rings true for me.

Daily exercise aerobically, where you raise the breathing and heart rate to at least 65% of you maxiumu heart rate (220 minus your age) for at least 20 minutes and you can kiss diet gimmicks goodbye forever.

Throw in weight-training as a bonus ! ! Muscle tissue is 3 times as dense as fat tissue (you'll look thinner at the same weight) and burns 3 times as many calories as fat tissue(even when you're sleeping).:)

You'll look better, have MORE energy, and feel better (aerobic exercise releases endorphins that create a euphoric feeling of wellness) . Go now and prosper . . . . :D

I love what Caine789 said a few posts ago about the relationship, rings true for me.

I think that's what I like best about WW - using the points teaches you not to be emotionally involved with your food! It's not cheesecake - it's 10 points! Would you rather have the cheesecake and skip dinner, or have a good dinner with a glass of wine instead? It's all about choices! Once in a while if you want the cheesecake, that's ok too - as long as you stick to your points!

I don't know - it works for me! Another trick I learned is after the first month (when you need all the encouragement you can get and when your weight loss slows down a bit!) start going every other week! I found I would be down 2.5 then up .8 then down 3 then up 1.2 then down 3.4 etc... By going every other week I am always down which is very motivating to me (plus you save $28 a month!) ;)

Two years ago I decided to lose weight for our cruise. Shortly after I started my husband joined me. I dropped 24 pounds and he dropped 35. On our cruise we enjoyed just about any type of food that we wanted. After our cruise we went right back to our new way of eating (WOE) not just because we needed to lose the cruise weight gain, but because we feel so much better when we are eating the right foods. To this day we both have stayed on our WOE and we both exercise everyday. I have kept all of my weight off and my husband has only gained about 10 pounds back which he is now trying very hard to get off before our next cruise.

When we cruise, we don't deprive ourselves of any treat, but we don't eat until we're sick either. We take the stairs almost all of the time and have gotten to the exercise room a few times. Yes, we do come back with a few extra pounds, but they quickly come off.

We no longer "diet" but rather have changed the way we eat...no white flour, no potatoes, no rice, no refined sugar. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit and lean meats. My daily goal is to do 45 min of cardio exercises everyday.

On special occasions, such as birthdays or holidays, we do allow for special treats. We still eat out a couple of times a week, but always order from the "lean" menu.

As a result of watching what I eat everyday and exercising, this year I'm not crash dieting in order to get ready for our cruise. I know I won't deprive myself on the ship either. I know that all my hard work has paid off and I'm motivated to keep it off because I remember all too well how easy it would be to fall off the wagon and how hard it is to get back on once that happens.

Archived