Antarctica Q's: Parka, Boots, etc.

benthom

What is the brand and model of the parka we get with the Antarctica cruise? MyAtlas is asking for sizing, but there is no size guide, so I want to go track one down on the manufacturer's website. Same with the boots, but since the parka is coming home with me, I really want to get that one right. 

In the event of improper sizing of either parka or boots, once all the under layers are put on, how is that dealt with? Do we all show up with full underlayers for a fitting in the mud room? Is your parka on your bed when you arrive, and you go swap it out if it doesn't fit? Something else? Do they have a bunch of extras in the event that a size swap is needed, or are you out of luck if you picked the wrong size before the cruise?

I have a handle on all the gear I'm bringing, but I'd love to eliminate the unknowns on the supplied gear. 

Thanks!

Hi, I was on the December 28th sailing.  They have a fitting time down in the mud room for the jackets and boots while on the Drake passage. You put on your layers and go down and try on the jackets, boots and life vest.   They will give you different sizes if they don’t fit.  They also help fit your life vest. For me, I was a medium for women's and they ran out the green jackets in that size due to supply chain issues.  I wore an orange raincoat over a lighter jacket.  I didn’t think it would be as warm, but it was.  You keep the jackets, boots and life vests a cubby in the mud room.  Try and remember who’s life vest is and put one on the top cubby (for couples).  This makes it easy to remember when gearing up to go out.    I just checked out jackets and there is no name brand, it just says Atlas.  My husband likes a big jacket and received a 2XL. 

• Thanks 1

I am a plus size gal. I was on the 19 December sailing. I chose my normal sizing, and then went up a size during the fitting as my extra layers and down vest added too much to be comfortable in a 3x. I also brought my own boots as my calf size is too large for standard boots which measure 16.8 inches in circumference at the top of the calf. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anonymousegirl said:

I am a plus size gal. I was on the 19 December sailing. I chose my normal sizing, and then went up a size during the fitting as my extra layers and down vest added too much to be comfortable in a 3x. I also brought my own boots as my calf size is too large for standard boots which measure 16.8 inches in circumference at the top of the calf. 

So they do have women's plus sizes available. Good to know.

• 10 months later...
On 1/31/2022 at 5:45 PM, anonymousegirl said:

Can you please share exactly what kind of boots you bought? 

• 4 weeks later...

Great question! We’re on the February 15th sailing and we’re wondering the same thing; does Atlas provide ski poles / walking poles? Are they helpful / necessary? We can purchase but are mindful of luggage weight limitations. 

6 hours ago, GICNJC said:

I have a different question about what is provide for our use on board.  Almost all the YouTube videos show individuals using walking sticks,  Are these provided for free on board?

You are much more likely to get useful answers if you post this as a separate topic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 8:21 PM, GICNJC said:

I have a different question about what is provide for our use on board.  Almost all the YouTube videos show individuals using walking sticks,  Are these provided for free on board?

Walking sticks are provided for shore landings

• Like 3

On 1/28/2022 at 3:05 PM, benthom said:

What is the brand and model of the parka we get with the Antarctica cruise? MyAtlas is asking for sizing, but there is no size guide, so I want to go track one down on the manufacturer's website. Same with the boots, but since the parka is coming home with me, I really want to get that one right. 

In the event of improper sizing of either parka or boots, once all the under layers are put on, how is that dealt with? Do we all show up with full underlayers for a fitting in the mud room? Is your parka on your bed when you arrive, and you go swap it out if it doesn't fit? Something else? Do they have a bunch of extras in the event that a size swap is needed, or are you out of luck if you picked the wrong size before the cruise?

I have a handle on all the gear I'm bringing, but I'd love to eliminate the unknowns on the supplied gear. 

Thanks!

We just got back last week and boy, are you in for a treat of a trip! 🙂

With regards to sizing of parka, go with your usual size.  The parkas take into consideration room for layers.  When you get settled and are heading across the drake, I suggest heading down to the mud room with your intended layers and try on the parka and boots for sizing, and let them know if you need to size up/down. We had to size up one of the parkas and this was easily remedied.  For boots, if you're a half size, I recommend going up to the next full size. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Sorry if this is obvious but could someone who’s been on Atlas this past Antarctic season confirm that the boot size we should select is what we would normally wear?

I.e., we aren’t wearing any other shoe or bootie inside the boot, just our socks?

Also, for the parka, it’s unisex so is a medium a men’s medium or a women’s medium or something in between?

Thanks!

On 8/2/2023 at 2:01 PM, ShopperfiendTO said:

Sorry if this is obvious but could someone who’s been on Atlas this past Antarctic season confirm that the boot size we should select is what we would normally wear?

I.e., we aren’t wearing any other shoe or bootie inside the boot, just our socks?

Also, for the parka, it’s unisex so is a medium a men’s medium or a women’s medium or something in between?

Thanks!

Boots - yes, I chose my usual shoe size. Depending on the thickness of your socks, YMMV. Either way, during the Drake passage down, there will be a fitting day where you could try on the boots and can easily exchange for a size smaller or larger as necessary.

Parka - it does seem like regular men's sizing. Thus, a size S was a bit loose for DW but they do not have any XS.

• Thanks 1

@ShopperfiendTO no inner shoes are worn inside the boots. 

We both felt the boot size wanted was pretty close to our regular shoe sizing. I wear 12 1/2 shoes and could wear the size 12 boots even with my extra thick socks. But they were a little tight so went to 13 and that was fine.

Before we left I was concerned of cold feet so layered them too. We both wore very thin sock liners then a heavier winter sock designed for warmth. Both the sock and liner are made to help wick moisture. Socks were J.B. Fields brand, excellent product. With the sock layers our feet were very comfortable and we never gave them a second thought. Atlas supplied Muck brand boots - they are excellent.

For both of us the jackets seemed a little on the large size even with shirt layers underneath. Too small would be even more restrictive (all bundled up one is already a little awkward moving about). I ordered my usual men's size jacket. I wore a thin technical long sleeve undershirt, a regular short sleeve shirt and once or twice, a thin fleece vest which was not needed. With that under the jacket and the jacket's removeable inner padded vest I still had space in the front to have my camera on a neck strap under my jacket while crossing to the landing site in the RIB. I would not order a size larger than you normally wear.

As @rloke wrote there is a fitting session while crossing so can go up  or down a size if needed. However, on our sailing there was an usually highly demand (their words) for small size jackets and that in turn put demand on the mediums. DW had ordered a large and it was too large for her and wanted to down size but one was not immediatly available (they did get her one). The larger would have worked for the landings but would have been pretty useless to her at home.

We were never cold except face in the wind while going for the landings (we brought a good selection of head gear and buffs for that) and hands when my gloves got splashed on those same rides, twice. That was miserable. I found my gloves to be a significant problem keeping dry and were awkward getting on and off to use the camera.

It was not that cold. Windy conditions would be cold but they do not go on landings if windy conditons predicted and keeping dry is important. If you go on the longer hikes / routes then sweating is a bigger concern. Before leaving I was concerned of cold feet standing on snow and ice but was never an issue.

• Thanks 1