Rhine water levels 2022 and similar topics

notamermaid

26 minutes ago, BAYA said:

Have a great cruise. I hope you don't need that down coat. We embark from Basel on April 5th. I won't be packing any down clothing!

It’s the pre-stay in Amsterdam with highs in the upper 40s and lows around freezing that have me waffling!

I imagine we’ll pass each other somewhere around Mannheim or Kehl! I’ll wave!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Oh yes, your cruise is coming up as well. Had forgotten the date. So you and Gopherpharm will pass each other on the river.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks! And thanks again for the helpful info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BAYA said:

Thanks! And thanks again for the helpful info!

My pleasure, as always. I tiny request from me. We talked about Koblenz in a separate thread. When you return and you have a bit of time I would be interested to know what you ended up doing during your free time in Koblenz. That would be nice.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Kaub gauge has been fluctuating a little over the past two days but overall is now steady in the 90s, now at 97cm. Radar film is already showing clouds with scattered mild showers sweeping over the Upper Rhine valley towards the East, so this is good news.

The river should react to this latest Thursday evening.

notamermaid

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gopherpharm said:

Thanks @notamermaid! We leave for Amsterdam tomorrow. 

Have a good flight and enjoyable days in Amsterdam. And a great cruise!

Just noticed again that fun and excitement can be infectious. :classic_biggrin: So thanks for joining us here in anticipation of your adventure.

notamermaid

• Like 1

For anyone arriving in AMS in the near future, everything was very simple for us in terms of covid restrictions. We uploaded our vaccine cards and health declaration forms to the United app and after that, only our passports were checked at both ORD and AMS. No one has asked to see any other documents at all. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gopherpharm said:

For anyone arriving in AMS in the near future, everything was very simple for us in terms of covid restrictions. We uploaded our vaccine cards and health declaration forms to the United app and after that, only our passports were checked at both ORD and AMS. No one has asked to see any other documents at all. 

Thank you for the info. Germany is I believe a bit stricter with measures still, so may feel a little more regulated. Should change this weekend.

It has certainly got cooler, warm jacket and scarf are back for shopping trips here. But it is not constantly raining everywhere, so the valley does not look too grey and miserable. Maxau gauge has already seen a pleasant rise to 395cm, Kaub back over the 100cm tomorrow is a possibility.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Just heard from a friend who starts their Viking cruise in Basel tomorrow...they are expecting snow.  Glad to see the water levels are fine.

Thanks for the info. Wow, could even snow closer to my neck of the woods on Saturday. Altitudes above 100m rain could turn rain into snow and there may even be snow as far North as Rüdesheim which is below 100m at the river bank (but obviously extends into the hills which are above that).

notamermaid

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gopherpharm said:

Thank you for the info!  We arrive in early May flying into Schiphol but staying in Leiden before the cruise starts (we have been to Amsterdam many times)!  Have a great trip!!!

Second seating

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks for the info. Wow, could even snow closer to my neck of the woods on Saturday. Altitudes above 100m rain could turn rain into snow and there may even be snow as far North as Rüdesheim which is below 100m at the river bank (but obviously extends into the hills which are above that).

notamermaid

We’re currently on the AmaPrima and docked in Cologne. I just checked the Daily Cruiser and we’ll be heading to Lahnstein tomorrow where the forecast calls for snow showers and temperatures 32 to 40 degrees. Should be interesting since we didn’t bring our winter coats 🥶(the forecast was better before we left home).  Snow showers also expected the following day for our visit to Cochem. Will be layering as much as possible and using the hand warmers my husband thought I was crazy for buying!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Imasima752 said:

We’re currently on the AmaPrima and docked in Cologne.

Thank you for taking the time to post from your cruise! :classic_smile: Hope you have had a great stay in this fascinating city - I adore the Hohenzollern Bridge lit up. Lahnstein in snow, that should be interesting. Are you going up to the castle? Be careful, could be icy up there, I hope they clear their small road. If it snows, that is going to be an interesting photo op. We do not get much snow in our warm valley. There are a few clothes shop in Lahnstein, should you need additional layers.

Enjoy the Rhine Gorge and all the other sections of the river. And I admit to being a bit envious, the AmaPrima looks a lovely ship. :classic_smile:

I see you are going to Cochem as well, didn't know the AmaPrima does such an itinerary.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gopherpharm said:

Snowed here in Amsterdam last night. Supposed to start up again within the hour. Glad we packed the winter coats, hats and gloves!

Exactly why we scheduled our very first Rhine River cruise in late May! 52 days and counting!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you for taking the time to post from your cruise! :classic_smile: Hope you have had a great stay in this fascinating city - I adore the Hohenzollern Bridge lit up. Lahnstein in snow, that should be interesting. Are you going up to the castle? Be careful, could be icy up there, I hope they clear their small road. If it snows, that is going to be an interesting photo op. We do not get much snow in our warm valley. There are a few clothes shop in Lahnstein, should you need additional layers.

Enjoy the Rhine Gorge and all the other sections of the river. And I admit to being a bit envious, the AmaPrima looks a lovely ship. :classic_smile:

I see you are going to Cochem as well, didn't know the AmaPrima does such an itinerary.

notamermaid

Just typical, I responded to your message earlier but apparently lost internet connection so no post. 🙁 Thank you for the clothes shopping information and warning about the ice!  We just docked and our tour of the castle is in about 45 minutes. It’s currently cloudy but no snow or rain 😊.  I’m currently wearing top and bottom base layers, turtleneck, sweater, jeans, hat and gloves and I’m very comfortable. 

We’re on AMA’s “Rhine & Moselle Fairytales” itinerary and (hopefully) I’ve attached the list of our destinations if anyone is interested. 

423BD4BF-E1A4-4065-98AC-31836F2549D8.jpeg

• Like 2

Oh, it is cold. Unpleasant shopping. But have had no snow yet. Maybe later in the day. Screenshot from the webcam feed at Oberwesel. No snow there a few minutes ago:

03302_6246e861-4376Vid.thumb.jpg.9138dd432cc573ebcec555470c414a15.jpg

But grey and you can see the rocks exposed due to the low water level.

This is the webcam: https://www.feratel.com/en/webcams/germany/schoenburg-oberwesel.html

If you let it run you are automatically taken to the other two webcams that are at Königswinter in the Lower Middle Rhine valley and at Koblenz.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imasima752 said:

Just typical, I responded to your message earlier but apparently lost internet connection so no post. 🙁

Can happen in the narrow valley... But could be another reason of course. Thank you for the itinerary sheet.

I think you will enjoy the castle. I am a bit envious, could not get in on the day we were there on a day trip and to make others envious (I am mean I know) or to look forward to it in anticipation, here is the link to my day trip last year: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2771435-rhine-water-levels-2021-and-similar-topics/page/9/

Make sure to go through the archway leading to the restaurant to see the view over the valley and towards Stolzenfels Castle.

notamermaid

• Like 1

7 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Where are you staying in Leiden, Second seating? We are thinking of a Dutch holiday there.

Golden Tulip Inn close to Central Station when we arrive and depart to Amsterdam to catch the ship.  Everything appears to be walkable.  Not a fancy hotel but good for what we need. I will make my second trip to Keukenhof Gardens and a first trip to a bulb farm (my husband goes to museums)!!!  Also from Leiden it is a quick trip to one of my favorite museums in Den Haag.

Second seating

Edited by Second seating
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Can happen in the narrow valley... But could be another reason of course. Thank you for the itinerary sheet.

I think you will enjoy the castle. I am a bit envious, could not get in on the day we were there on a day trip and to make others envious (I am mean I know) or to look forward to it in anticipation, here is the link to my day trip last year: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2771435-rhine-water-levels-2021-and-similar-topics/page/9/

Make sure to go through the archway leading to the restaurant to see the view over the valley and towards Stolzenfels Castle.

notamermaid

We enjoyed the castle very much and I sincerely hope you’ll be able to visit the interior one day.  I can attempt to post photos if you’d like, but I think seeing it first hand would do it more justice. 😊I was disappointed when the tour ended, but going to the restaurant made me feel better as I had one of the best waffles ever!  It started to snow while we were there so my photos of the views aren’t the greatest, but it was a wonderful experience. 

A48237EA-83E4-40C0-BD42-CEF5781E6740.jpeg

0C39D058-8E03-4871-8402-061B3E5A2842.jpeg

7F91579F-5B3C-4A1E-88C9-8460724BB0BB.jpeg

• Like 2