Danube water levels 2022 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Hello everyone,

here is the thread on the Danube for 2022.

We will look again at the weather and most importantly the river levels. Do join us this year - also in this quiet time now - with your comments and tips.

Safe travels.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Let us get straight to the water levels as it is already the 1st of February. Last year I attempted recording the level at Pfelling for the whole of 2021. Did not quite work but I got together a rough overview of what a year can look like. I have explained it in that thread:

To January this year:

image.png.f8434a947b890128165f77dfde1c7350.png

The year started with high water, or you could say mild flooding, but with little rainfall and no significant snow melt, the level went down quickly. It still looks good, is not low. The line MW means "mean water level". That is a statistical figure calculated from the average levels recorded over a long period, often a decade is used, but it could be more, not sure at Pfelling. For Pfelling MW is 380cm. River cruise ships are not sailing now of course, so what does this means for the time when they start sailing again? Basically - we can derive nothing from that. Predicting anything beyond two weeks into the future is "crystal ball" method. It has been raining and the Alps as well as the middle mountain ranges got snow yesterday. Depending on further rainfall and temperatures in February we will see either more snow or less snow, with slow or fast thaws. And that will determine the water levels when the first ships sail in March.

In Germany, in flooding the authorities ban river traffic, in low water the river, i.e. the draft of a ship in relation to the water level, determines whether a captain will steer his or her ship through the shallow river or not.

So much for today.

notamermaid

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

Historically, do the sailings in December usually run well, or does it vary year to year less predictably?

It does vary a bit, but generally the Danube in Germany is a little on the low side. That is November into December; the level tends to rise beginning of December and flooding is more likely December running into January and February. On the low side means below the mean (MW) and sometimes that means days in late November and early December could have a level between Straubing and Vilshofen that can impact river cruising. So, a cruise running in the second week of December is more likely to run smoothly than a cruise last week in November. Having said that, the bigger problems on the Danube in Germany are more earlier Autumn rather than late Autumn.

As we are on that topic. It is explained as well in 2021, so I will keep it short. The most likely stretch where you will encounter low water problems (apart from the far further reaches towards the Delta) is Straubing to Vilshofen in Germany. That means river cruises than run Vilshofen to Budapest are less likely to encounter a problem, than those running from Nuremberg to Vienna or Budapest. This applies to low water. High water that turns into flooding presents a problem at a bridge at Passau.

notamermaid

• Like 2

@Qwltngcruiser Oh that is interesting. Why the sudden change? I hope I have not steered you away from river cruising. One thing perhaps. Some people find 14 days on the river a long time and as a general idea we here on the board tend to suggest to folks contemplating a river cruise to go for an itinerary of 7 to 8 days first. But many people love being away for long travels and are very happy with 14 days on a river cruise.

Some people prefer land trips for Christmas markets and that is probably something I would go for or just a five day river cruise. But who am I to talk, I live 20 minutes away from the nearest Christmas market. Very biased. :classic_biggrin: 

You could also combine an ocean cruise with a stay inland for a few days. Best of both worlds? Not sure. Whatever you decide have a great time planning.

notamermaid

No, you haven’t steered me away from anything. I have a genetic problem affecting my back that makes sitting long hours quite painful. My husband and I chose cruising as a method of travel because we felt it would be easier on me. With a cruise, I would be able to get up and move around when I need to vs being stuck sitting on a bus for hours where I couldn’t. I know I will still have to deal with the long plane ride, and to tell the truth, I’m quite nervous about it. I haven’t been on one for more than 15 years and I don’t know how my back is going to react to it.

But that aside, I am concerned that perhaps we have an unrealistic view of what river cruising is like. I’ve been reading about a lot of instances where people are having to switch ships constantly and it involves several hours of transport to the next port. That would make the trip more similar to a bus tour than an ocean cruise, which is fine…..but not ok for my back.  Two days of flying during this vacation will be more than enough to deal with. Fifteen days of bus rides in between would be unbearable for me and ruin the trip for my husband. My disability impacts our life enough as it is. I don’t want it to ruin our 25th anniversary vacation. If that’s really what it’s like to river cruise, then we are better off booking an ocean cruise instead. 

The ship swaps are unusual and only due to low water.  You can minimize the risk by choosing an itinerary that avoids the notorious low water spots [e.g. start in Passau or Vilshofen rather than Nuremburg/Regensburg] and by choosing a river cruise line that has a good track record for sailing in low water [e.g. AmaWaterways rather than Viking].  You might also want to look closely at AMA's extra-large ship Magna, which would give you greater opportunities to walk around:

https://www.amawaterways.com/destination/europe-river-cruises/2022/magna-on-the-danube-christmas/

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The ship swaps are unusual and only due to low water.  You can minimize the risk by choosing an itinerary that avoids the notorious low water spots [e.g. start in Passau or Vilshofen rather than Nuremburg/Regensburg] and by choosing a river cruise line that has a good track record for sailing in low water [e.g. AmaWaterways rather than Viking].  You might also want to look closely at AMA's extra-large ship Magna, which would give you greater opportunities to walk around:

https://www.amawaterways.com/destination/europe-river-cruises/2022/magna-on-the-danube-christmas/

Thanks we’re already booked, but if we do plan another on the future, we will definitely keep those points in mind. 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:42 PM, Qwltngcruiser said:

But that aside, I am concerned that perhaps we have an unrealistic view of what river cruising is like. I’ve been reading about a lot of instances where people are having to switch ships constantly and it involves several hours of transport to the next port. That would make the trip more similar to a bus tour than an ocean cruise, which is fine…..but not ok for my back.

That is certainly something to consider. While things go well usually on a river cruise, it is indeed the case that low water can make you spend one to four hours on a coach. And Amsterdam to Budapest means you will be at a couple of ports where the main sights are not within walking distance of the ship. Nuremberg is such a city. A few excursions will also be on a coach, but you could stay on the ship or nearby if that was too much for you. The swapping of ships more than once will most likely refer to the experiences of people in 2018. That was an awful year and is not the norm by any means.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:42 PM, Qwltngcruiser said:

I don’t want it to ruin our 25th anniversary vacation. If that’s really what it’s like to river cruise, then we are better off booking an ocean cruise instead. 

If you want to be absolutely on the safe side of not being on a coach for more than one hour at a time, you may consider an ocean cruise instead. But may I make a suggestion? You could look at other itineraries that do not necessitate a ship swap in low water. There are a some, for example the Seine, or a Moselle with Rhine Northbound trip, i.e. not the standard Basel to Amsterdam. But finding a great itinerary for the Christmas markets might not be so easy. The worst bit is actually Straubing to Vilshofen, so an itinerary from Regensburg to Frankfurt is a safe bet, seeing that flooding is unlikely. Again, there is no absolute certainty that you will not be on a coach, but it may be little time. If your cruise were to be curtailed, it may also be an option to take the train to your next port or the next ship. It would be possible in many areas as train connections in Germany, etc. are plentiful.

It is not an easy decision for you and I wish you all the best in your pursuit to find the perfect holiday for your anniversary.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The actors in the Oberammergau Passion Play are rehearsing and river cruise companies and their guests have reason to get excited as we are getting closer to the event: https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Insights/River-cruises-include-Oberammergau-Passion-Play

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Think school trip to Europe, Oberammergau on route. As a teenager you don’t realise what you’ve done, I stood at the back of the auditorium to hear the fantastic acoustics and the stood on the stage and added to them, at the time a really good day of fun thinking back what an absolute privilege. We did this trip only the year prior to the actual performance so we’re able to see and meet some of the actual performers. This coach trip was to Austria we stayed in the mountains above Innsbruck in Mutters. So I’ve never seen the ‘Passion Play’ but have seen the ‘Passion of the Holy Blood’ in Bruges on another school trip.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

So I’ve never seen the ‘Passion Play’ but have seen the ‘Passion of the Holy Blood’ in Bruges on another school trip.

Without knowing anything about it, I was in Bruges before a bike and barge trip when the "Passion of the Holy Blood" procession went by. I splurged €5 to get a seat right by the road.

Let us travel far down the Danube to Serbia. Think of Europe and the early years after the Ice Age. Hunters and gatherers roam the valleys, moving over vast distances to find wild animals. Yes - and no. Not so in a part of Serbia. Here the people found fish in the river and fruits in the forest. Why bother to leave and hunt when you can have a relatively easy life at the river? Makes sense to me. Here is the remarkable story that gives a different impression of our ancestors: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/ancient-serbian-settlement-changes-the-view-of-early-human-soci/13741738

notamermaid

• Like 2

We were privileged to visit the Lipenski  Vir site on our Viking “Passage to Eastern Europe” trip last August.  It is an amazing reconstruction of the layout of one of the villages plus a small but interesting museum.  I highly recommend this excursion and this particular itinerary at this particular time in history.

This was a chance find on the internet, quite a fascinating one, as I like that sort of stuff.

15 hours ago, Geosez said:

We were privileged to visit the Lipenski  Vir site on our Viking “Passage to Eastern Europe” trip last August.  It is an amazing reconstruction of the layout of one of the villages plus a small but interesting museum.  I highly recommend this excursion and this particular itinerary at this particular time in history.

Thank you for the reply and recommendation. Good to hear your feedback and that you enjoyed this so much.

2 hours ago, beesKate said:

We're on Uniworld in early October and it looks like this will be an excursion option.  

So the second river cruise company that has this as an excursion. I think I will look into this place and the area a bit more. Anybody else been there?

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your helpful information.  And the mini-trip reports.  I have two questions for you.  We’re on a trip with Viking from Regensberg to Budapest the first week in April.  I know weather is an “iffy” subject but … I’ve been told by someone who has lived there that it can get chilly in April in Germany.  I’m watching Munich’s conditions just to get an idea.  Which brings me to my second question:  we fly into Munich and will be bussed to Regensberg.  I’ve found two estimations of the length of that journey - 1 to 1 1/2 hour and 2 to 21/2 hours.  I understand it all depends on “conditions” - like the weather!  Just looking for a general idea.  Thanks again.

Those are the perfect questions for our local expert @steamboats, based in Munich. I am sure she will be happy to answer if she is around.

On 2/23/2022 at 7:26 PM, Geosez said:

We’re on a trip with Viking from Regensberg to Budapest the first week in April.

So you will be on the Danube two years in a row. Sound like you will have done most of the navigable length of the river. Not much further to go from Regensburg upstream. Only to Kelheim - and a bit of boat excursion where no river cruise ships can go. Did you go all the way to the Black Sea last year?

notamermaid

On 2/23/2022 at 7:26 PM, Geosez said:

Thank you for all your helpful information.  And the mini-trip reports.  I have two questions for you.  We’re on a trip with Viking from Regensberg to Budapest the first week in April.  I know weather is an “iffy” subject but … I’ve been told by someone who has lived there that it can get chilly in April in Germany.  I’m watching Munich’s conditions just to get an idea.  Which brings me to my second question:  we fly into Munich and will be bussed to Regensberg.  I’ve found two estimations of the length of that journey - 1 to 1 1/2 hour and 2 to 21/2 hours.  I understand it all depends on “conditions” - like the weather!  Just looking for a general idea.  Thanks again.

Sorry for the late reply, but I´ve been cruising for a couple of days...

Weather in April can be mixed of course... I wouldn´t expect freezing temps but layers for a bit more chilly temps aren´t a bad idea.

As for the traveling time from Munich to Regensburg it depends... from downtown Munich it´s more the 2 to 2 1/2 hours with a bus. From Munich airport it´s more 1 1/2 hour by bus. The airport is in a North Easterly direction from Munich and closer to Regensburg.

steamboats

• Like 1

Time flies - and according to an article I read this morning AmaWaterways are officially starting their river cruising season in Europe tomorrow. March 6 is certainly early.

So the season for all river cruise companies is fast approaching and that is even more a reason for me to catch up on the river levels. I have fallen behind posting Pfelling on the Danube a bit. Here is February (almost all of it):

image.png.454955e4a79ccec7997c6a1f8990dd4b.png

We see two peaks in February as a result of rain, but it was not proper flooding as determined in the figures, "just" high water. You can see the abbreviation HSW in the frame underneath the graph. This means 620cm is here the figure that is the maximum for river traffic. It stops all ships for safety reasons, only in the section that Pfelling is the marker for.

With no rain in the area, the level has fallen to 353cm, that is below the mean (MW) and is likely to fall further. There is a persistent area of high pressure over Germany which brings frosty nights and sunny days with little rain. To give you an idea of what I mean, here is a screenshot of the forecast for Regensburg:

image.thumb.png.8ff797ceb036b4ee666d2100c3ac4624.png

Temperatures are highs and lows in Celsius and percentages are likelihood of rain. The original table suggests precipitation in quantity will be minute or in other words negligible. I like accuweather  for forecasts in English but if you feel like roaming around this German website like me be prepared for loads of ads (table above is taken from the site): https://www.wetteronline.de/wetter/regensburg

notamermaid

• Thanks 1