Got a car rented in Oahu- now what?

SWACK

Maybe go for a drive on the Pali Highway and stop at the Pali Overlook and then continue on down to Windward Oahu. You can "turn right" at the bottom and head back to Waikiki via Hawaii Kai and the Kalanianaʻole Highway, or "turn left" and head towards the North Shore via Turtle Bay, Sharks Cove, etc through Haleiwa on the Kamehameha Highway and H2, back to Waikiki.

• Like 1

Since you've got a car it's fun doing a tunnel run...go back and forth across the Ko'olau Mountains between urban Honolulu and Kailua/Kāne'ohe until you've been through all the possible tunnels. Stop for shave ice at Island Snow in Kailua, or have dinner out there.

Ok, this is fun for me 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'd head up to the North Shore to Turtle Bay Resort, maybe for lunch, find some walks/trails and noodle along the coast.  We saw some great surfing and kite stuff to the west of the resort and had lunch on a picnic table at one of those shrimp trucks.  Be very careful of traffic ... we spent far too much time in traffic jams through ignorance, and that was ten years ago.

Edited by jsn55
clarity

If you are looking for a good hike with some beautiful scenery checkout Ka‘ena Point on the northwest tip of Oahu, you will drive past some beautiful beaches that will not be overrun with tourists and the costal hike trail is one of my favorites. 

Edited by Bocadude85
  • Like 1