Cooked to order BURGER - Reflection, where do I go?

Tom-n-Cheryl

3 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I had a terrible experience at Lawn Club on Silhouette. It was better on Reflection and Rooftop Grill was much better on Edge. 

LCG is consistently a miss for us. The whole menu needs an overhaul. A full pizza is not an appetizer even if you call it a flatbread. The salad bar is identical to the buffet offering. Rooftop Garden was marginally better but I still find the menu a bit odd. But the lunch burger is good. 

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

LCG is consistently a miss for us. The whole menu needs an overhaul. A full pizza is not an appetizer even if you call it a flatbread. The salad bar is identical to the buffet offering. Rooftop Garden was marginally better but I still find the menu a bit odd. But the lunch burger is good. 

How in the heck do they get away with calling that a flatbread?? I was so tempted to go make my own flatbread from their dough. 

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Hopefully they have figured out the wind issue for the Edge as it was horrible on the S class. 

Not entirely for Edge.  However, if you have a chance to hear the engineer behind some of the further improvements on the Beyond, he did start to more seriously take wind into account and made some major modifications to the open areas of the ship in an attempt to mitigate it a bit.

10 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I love Luminae but their burger has never impressed me I think possibly outside of my first time having one back in 2016 not too long after Luminae started (quality ticked down slightly on several items there after their first year or so in the breakfast and lunch items). Most of the time it's been average and a few times it was downright poor (the "Luminae Burger" at the Retreat sundeck on Edge was a total joke, like they scooped it out of the buffet warming tray). Surprisingly I have had much better burgers at the Pool/Mast Grill. The one on Edge I recall being fantastic.

If you are looking for a true gourmet burger experience though you'll need to look elsewhere.

The standard Luminae burger has been a very good choice for me anyway.  But there is a version on the menu sometimes that seems to be a mixture of lamb and beef.  I did not really like that one.

10 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I think it would've been better if they had kept the original burgers for free and then added some new "deluxe" options for the fee they wanted to charge. Then people have a choice. Kind of like what they do at Tuscan with the higher end beef cuts.

They did keep the original free burgers but moved them to a dedicated place just inside in the Oceanview.  Still on the pool deck.  But a different type of walk-up since you had to abide by the rules of going into the Oceanview instead of just lounging by the pool.  That was their biggest mistake.  They should have kept the Mast Grill as is and put the Top Deck Burger Bar elsewhere on the ship.  I wish they would consider something like this going forward.  A premium burger stand somewhere.  The other big mistake of the TDBB was labeling the burgers Kobe beef which of course they were not.

8 hours ago, canderson said:

Not entirely for Edge.  However, if you have a chance to hear the engineer behind some of the further improvements on the Beyond, he did start to more seriously take wind into account and made some major modifications to the open areas of the ship in an attempt to mitigate it a bit.

Funny but you think the wind issue would be a fundamental design consideration when building these ships.  They missed it on the Magic Carpet too.  Kind of makes you wonder about these engineers.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

..The other big mistake of the TDBB was labeling the burgers Kobe beef which of course they were not.

Yep - catch words to be sure. Sometimes "Kobe Style" or "Wagyu" (at least that one is more plausible)!

I think the only time I crossed paths with true Kobe beef was in Vegas (Prime @ Bellagio) nearly a decade ago. It was a couple hundred for a 6 oz ribeye. It was comped, otherwise I would not have given it a try. I like fat/marbling, but this one was a bit too rich even for me!

Tom

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yep - catch words to be sure. Sometimes "Kobe Style" or "Wagyu" (at least that one is more plausible)!

I think the only time I crossed paths with true Kobe beef was in Vegas (Prime @ Bellagio) nearly a decade ago. It was a couple hundred for a 6 oz ribeye. It was comped, otherwise I would not have given it a try. I like fat/marbling, but this one was a bit too rich even for me!

Tom

Without hijacking this thread into a Kobe Beef discussion, you are very correct.  There have been many threads in the past here on CC about Kobe Beef.  Celebrity now calls it "Kobe-like" beef or "Kobe-style" beef as you stated.  

9 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Hopefully they have figured out the wind issue for the Edge as it was horrible on the S class. 

The Edge was positively miserable.  It's as if the designers didn't realise that air moves.

We felt sorry for the staff as they were chasing down whatever fell from the set tables.  Silverware, napkins, and just about anything lighter than a plate was hard to keep down. 

The Reflection was great.  Glass + curtains (as needed).

23 minutes ago, D C said:

The Edge was positively miserable.  It's as if the designers didn't realise that air moves.

We felt sorry for the staff as they were chasing down whatever fell from the set tables.  Silverware, napkins, and just about anything lighter than a plate was hard to keep down. 

The Reflection was great.  Glass + curtains (as needed).

They didn’t realize the ship moved either hence all the knick knacks on shelves and side tables in cabins that went flying about and water sloshing out of and running along the sides of tubs and showers with no door or curtain to stop it whenever the ship happened to rock a bit, which it tends to do while sailing on an ocean…

39 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

They did keep the original free burgers but moved them to a dedicated place just inside in the Oceanview.  Still on the pool deck.  But a different type of walk-up since you had to abide by the rules of going into the Oceanview instead of just lounging by the pool.  That was their biggest mistake.  They should have kept the Mast Grill as is and put the Top Deck Burger Bar elsewhere on the ship.  I wish they would consider something like this going forward.  A premium burger stand somewhere.  The other big mistake of the TDBB was labeling the burgers Kobe beef which of course they were not.

Faux Kobe? LOL! I missed that part when it happened. What a debacle!

Edited by WonderMan3

We were on the Edge in July 2021 & enjoyed the Lumanie burger on the sun deck a couple times.  It was good.  When we sailed on the Reflection in Nov, we didn't often sit down for lunch - so didn't try it there.  

But due to having too much OBC to spend, we ended up renting an alcove one day.  Our attendant also work at the Lawn Club Grill.  He offered us the room service menu or if we wanted a specialty burger from LCG (I think the price was $20).  I kept "teasing" him about how good could this "$20" burger be? but he sold it well.  I love a good burger pool side; so I ordered it.  And he was right.  It was outstanding.  I don't know that I would pay $20 stateside for it but I gladly paid $20 of OBC 2 more times during the cruise.  There were a couple choices for the burger although I'm more just standard meat cheese and fixings.  

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hey WM3 sporting a new picture?  Nice!😀

Thanks. Yeah that other photo was from 2017. I had tried to upload a new one several times over the past couple years but it kept rejecting them no matter how small I sized the photos so I just gave up. Tried the other day though and it finally worked.

Edited by WonderMan3

5 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

... There were a couple choices for the burger although I'm more just standard meat cheese and fixings.  

So true - it's easy to overdo it in the toppings department, and you lose the essence of the burger in the process!

I will say, they have a number of options at the LCG !

i-87K6PJc-X2.png

i-6kPhnCn-X2.png

Tom

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

So true - it's easy to overdo it in the toppings department, and you lose the essence of the burger in the process!

I will say, they have a number of options at the LCG !

i-87K6PJc-X2.png

i-6kPhnCn-X2.png

Tom

Yellowfin Tuna Burger????

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You know, I might just have to try that one too!  LOL

Since fish tacos are a thing, why not burgers  😄 

Since specialty dining is "included" in our booking, I might as well make this a burger tasting menu cruise !

Tom

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If it's done right - a Tuna Burger is outstanding.  Think of a large piece of Tuna Steak cooked to your temperature (normally med rare - so seared on outside and sushi in the middle).  The toppings tend to be like a wasabi mayo / aioli blend vs your typical ketchup & mustard.  With the lettuce and such it similar to a yellow fin salad.

Edited by Team Stag

7 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Since specialty dining is "included" in our booking, I might as well make this a burger tasting menu cruise !

Tom

Well I do enjoy Yellowfin tuna - bit I have never seen it called a burger.  Is it not a filet?  Do they grind it up and mash it into a burger- like a salmon burger??

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Well I do enjoy Yellowfin tuna - bit I have never seen it called a burger.  Is it not a filet?  Do they grind it up and mash it into a burger- like a salmon burger??

Normally it's the whole "steak".  Not smashed up into a burger like salmon.  Tuna can be a stronger thicker fish.  Here's a photo of what I think of (not assuming Celebrity does it this way but they should)

Tuna Burger.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

I expect a full review with pictures when you return!! 😁😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

Normally it's the whole "steak".  Not smashed up into a burger like salmon.  Tuna can be a stronger thicker fish.  Here's a photo of what I think of (not assuming Celebrity does it this way but they should)

Tuna Burger.jpeg

Yeah that looks yummy.  I just question the definition of burger (ground meat or ground fish or ground vegan) vs a fish sandwich or filet like the picture.  

• Like 1

On the equinox and on the Apex, not sure if it's on other ships yet, there is Craft Social which has "Wagyu-style sliders".

Kobe beef use you require you to buy directly from the Japan, since the pandemic they now sell to US online retailers.  Any restaurant can now purchase authentic Kobe beef online.

image.thumb.png.1ab235193f74674c63a43bc5494ff691.png