Laundry facilities on Borealis

LandHo18

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered.  How do you pay for the self-service laundry facilities on Borealis and can you use those gel sachet things (thinking of taking some from home)?  Is there a laundry service and how is it?  Would be grateful for any help.

3 hours ago, LandHo18 said:

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered.  How do you pay for the self-service laundry facilities on Borealis and can you use those gel sachet things (thinking of taking some from home)?  Is there a laundry service and how is it?  Would be grateful for any help.

Borealis has, so far, not had a self service launderette, but one was being constructed.  I saw a post on social media in the last couple of days saying it was now open, but as the ship does not set sail until Friday, so I cannot comment on the accuracy of that report.

As I say, any self service on Borealis will be a new venture, so may work differently to the ones previously in use.  I can tell you though that the original ones had machines which dispensed detergent automatically into the wash (you actually pressed a button for that to happen).  The machines were operated by tokens which could be purchased from reception for £2 each (one token per wash).

There is also a laundry service which I have not used.  It is priced per item, but is obviously a lot more expensive than a self service launderette.

There is a self service Launderette currently on Bolette, so someone may be able to confirm (or otherwise) that the way it works is as previous - as I have described above. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to find out if they too have the strange eight coin system of payment.  I should not have thought it difficult to replace it with the ones they took off the Black Watch and Boudica or even purchased new coin systems.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the update.  Strangely, we've met some very interesting people in the laundry rooms even though my role is merely fetch and carry.  I can use the machines but I'm banned from ironing after I damaged a garment 46 years ago when my wife was in the maternity ward.  To clarify, the maternity ward was not on the ship and it was not a deliberate act of sabotage on my behalf.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1