Cruise Ban extended a further 2 months till April 17th

rkmw

• rkmw changed the title to Cruise Ban extended a further 2 months till April 17th

Which doesn't really mean much as the cruise lines aren't scheduled to bring ships back until well after that date. As long as it is lifted then there is still plenty of time for ships to be readied for the 22/23 season.

However given that our PM implied it would be lifted this month it's rather annoying, but not unexpected given our PM's track record of back flips etc.

• Like 1

From Cruise Weekly:

Minister for Health Greg Hunt has extended Australia’s pandemic emergency measures, including the human biosecurity period banning international cruise ships, until 17 Apr.

Despite National Cabinet just yesterday committing to work with the cruise industry, the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee has decided the current wave of Omicron cases in Australia warrants a further extension of the emergency period.

The addition means the ban on cruises will officially extend beyond two years.  

https://cruiseweekly.com.au/news/cw-breaking-news-hunt-extends-cruise-biosecurity-ban-to-17-april/68969

25 minutes ago, rkmw said:

There was breaking news on FB that the cruising ban has been extended until April 17th

So it goes on, it will soon be 2023.  The current wave of Omicron will go on for a while yet.

Edited by NSWP

Here is the link to Greg Hunt's announcement.    It does include the following statement  but don't hold your breath.

In regards, to cruising. there was an agreement at National Cabinet that the Commonwealth, New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland agreed to work with the industry to implement new protocols to enable the resumption of cruising over coming months. The Commonwealth can remove the restrictions on cruising as soon as it is advised that it is safe to do so and the Minister will regularly review this advice.

https://www.greghunt.com.au/pandemic-emergency-measures-extended-to-april/

Cruising by Christmas anyone!!!

36 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I believe that’s what you where predicting all along,after the election.

I hope you are right.

Nah, I reckon they'll lift the ban just before the election, so in plenty of time for the cruise lines to gear up ... assuming the state governments can agree on allowing cruise ships into their ports.

6 hours ago, Ondine said:

Here is the link to Greg Hunt's announcement.    It does include the following statement  but don't hold your breath.

In regards, to cruising. there was an agreement at National Cabinet that the Commonwealth, New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland agreed to work with the industry to implement new protocols to enable the resumption of cruising over coming months. The Commonwealth can remove the restrictions on cruising as soon as it is advised that it is safe to do so and the Minister will regularly review this advice.

https://www.greghunt.com.au/pandemic-emergency-measures-extended-to-april/

Cruising by Christmas anyone!!!

Thanks for sharing the press release.  I wrote to Greg Hunt today expressing my frustration with the continuation of the cruising ban and the political motives of the government.  I don’t expect a reply of any substance but will share any response.

He and Scotty will probably be gone after the election anyway.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Nah, I reckon they'll lift the ban just before the election, so in plenty of time for the cruise lines to gear up ... assuming the state governments can agree on allowing cruise ships into their ports.

There’s predictions of a cold winter and another wave.

Even if we have a bad cold and flu season there will be hysteria.That will drag on till Christmas.

We are booked on the repositioning cruise Quantum of the seas Honolulu to Brisbane in October, after all the hype this week on that cruising may be resuming we booked our flights and pre cruise accommodation.

If Australia is not open for cruising for the 2022/23 seasons there is something seriously wrong.

What they should have done is lift the ban for specified vessels only, then invited the regular cruise lines who normally have ships here over winter (P&O, Carnival, Princess, and possibly RCI as well) to each send one of their smaller ships here. They would be required to operate at half capacity, domestic passegers only, and  with full Covid protocols. One week itineraries to start with, then longer cruises could be phased it. I don't see the point of restricting them to intrastate only as state borders are now open so people from different states would travel to the embarkation ports especially as departures would probably be restricted to Sydney and Brisbane over winter due to potential adverse seas further south.

Instead they open the international borders to overseas visitors, who may have little residual protection from their second vaccination, to arrive by air and, once cruising does restart, these visitors will be able to cruise here unrestricted. Go figure!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

However given that our PM implied it would be lifted this month it's rather annoying, but not unexpected given our PM's track record of back flips etc.

Well, there WAS this little thing called OMICRON that came along in the meantime!!!!

1 hour ago, SuitesRbest said:

We are booked on the repositioning cruise Quantum of the seas Honolulu to Brisbane in October, after all the hype this week on that cruising may be resuming we booked our flights and pre cruise accommodation.

If Australia is not open for cruising for the 2022/23 seasons there is something seriously wrong.

If things don’t turn around soon, I wouldn’t be surprised if Quantum is pulled out of Australia.

Royal can’t have 2 Quantum class ships floating around Seattle over next Christmas. 
Quantum isn’t selling very well out of Brisbane and they may send it back to Singapore.

33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What they should have done is lift the ban for specified vessels only, then invited the regular cruise lines who normally have ships here over winter (P&O, Carnival, Princess, and possibly RCI as well) to each send one of their smaller ships here. They would be required to operate at half capacity, domestic passegers only, and  with full Covid protocols. One week itineraries to start with, then longer cruises could be phased it. I don't see the point of restricting them to intrastate only as state borders are now open so people from different states would travel to the embarkation ports especially as departures would probably be restricted to Sydney and Brisbane over winter due to potential adverse seas further south.

Instead they open the international borders to overseas visitors, who may have little residual protection from their second vaccination, to arrive by air and, once cruising does restart, these visitors will be able to cruise here unrestricted. Go figure!

Yep a couple of ships just for testing.

I think the by election may give them a good kick where their mothers never kissed them.

As some political analysts have said the candidates are putting the party second and thinking about their self.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Yep a couple of ships just for testing.

I think the by election may give them a good kick where their mothers never kissed them.

As some political analysts have said the candidates are putting the party second and thinking about their self.

… and putting their constituents last.  

• Thanks 1