Is there a reliable way of preventing fogging? (snorkeling)

jbrinkm

So I feel like I've tried all of the usual tricks - swish in sea water, use a bit of baby shampoo, specialty sprays, don't re-rinse after adding whatever, don't breathe through my nose at all, etc. I don't think I've ever been snorkeling without dealing with some level of fogging. I have decently-priced, reputable brand snorkeling gear, so it is not that the gear is cheap. This is a reflection about two different sets of my own gear as well as rental gear in different places. Would you say this is just a fact of snorkeling and all you can do is mitigate it a small bit? Is my face/head just not cut out for snorkeling gear? Do you have any unusual advice or suggestions for me that I maybe haven't tried?

P.S. I love snorkeling and fogging won't stop me - I just wish I could do something to make it a bit easier!

The key to using any anti-fog (baby shampoo, liquid soap, purpose-specific products or your own saliva) is to understand what you're trying to accomplish.  You need to get a thin coating of material on the inside of the lens, and then leave it there.  The mistake I see most often is people use far more anti-fog than they need, but then fail to smear it all over the inside of the mask, and then they rinse it out to the point that they accomplished nothing.

To do it, you put a small amount of anti-fog (a few drops) in the mask, smear it with your finger so it's all over the lens, then let it sit for about thirty seconds, then give it a quick dunk in water, removing it immediately, and dumping the water out.  This leaves the coating on the lens, and thus prevents fogging. 

Having said all this, I'll be the first to say that regardless of how well anti-fog is applied, and regardless of the type used, sometimes it works beautifully, and the next dive may not seem to do anything.  But at least proper application gives you a fighting chance.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

When you bought your mask did you clean it first with toothpaste to remove the coating that is on there from the original manufacturing process? This is for GLASS lenses only, do not do this with non-glass lenses. If you don't do this, the anti-fog will not work.

https://scubaguru.com/how-to-pre-treat-a-new-dive-mask/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leela said:

When you bought your mask did you clean it first with toothpaste to remove the coating that is on there from the original manufacturing process? This is for GLASS lenses only, do not do this with non-glass lenses. If you don't do this, the anti-fog will not work.

I think I remember doing this but I got my latest set 2 years ago and only used it once. I did *something* to it in the laundry room sink and toothpaste rings a bell. It might have come with instructions to do so? 

Do you recommend glass or non-glass?

I always have glass-lensed masks. Sometimes you have to do the toothpaste thing more than once, so maybe that's what you need. It won't hurt to do it again.

Also, I've found that because I use my mask a lot, random stuff seems to build up on the lenses such that every year or so I need to re-clean with toothpaste.

Edited by Leela
  • Thanks 1

Hi, As Leela says, you need to do the toothpaste scrub first. We are underwater photographers and spend a lot of time floating around for the best picture, so fogging can become an issue. We now make sure we clean our masks with toothpaste before each scuba holiday. We also use an antifog which we bought in Thailand as the best we have found....its called Ocean Dynamics Anti Fog Mask Solution. It is chemical free and reef friendly.  Have had a job finding anymore stock. Main ingredient is fermented fruits!

Chris

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

@CRUISENSNOOZE that product sounds awesome and I'll take a look for it! Thanks @Leela and  @omeinv for the advice. I realize this is a cruising forum but thought I'd take advantage of the expertise on here before our April cruise where we hope to do a lot of snorkeling!

Usually I find better information on diving and snorkeling here on CruiseCritic than I do on boards that are supposed to be for those activities.  🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Why is that, Harris?

I peruse scubaboard frequently. I've found some good tips on gear (buying and deploying) and shared some tips on cruise diving.

Hi, Like you I use Scubaboard to find out good places to dive. We found our place in Bali from Scubaboard and have been every year for the past 5 years until covid....and we will be back.

Chris

I didn't mean to sound quite so harsh about it.  I do like Scuba Board for researching destinations.  To my way of thinking, too many of the other discussions there devolve from scuba information to competitions for who will win the award for least friendly presentation of most arcane point.  Of course that's not unique on the internet.  But for me at Scuba Board I am only a reader, not a player. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's too bad, because reading your contributions here, I think you have a lot to offer the diving community. 

I will agree there are a lot of... let's say, strong opinions on Scubaboard. Some posters there seem to think their method is the One True Way and any deviation will result in DCS or even death. If you can get past some of the egos, there's a lot of good information and guidance there to be mined. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A very small bit of pure baby shampoo (absolutely no conditioner) will help.  But no more than squish a drop between two fingers, and then rub the lens with a fingertip. 

The biggest cause of mask fogging is exhaled air condensing on the lens.  

So, a quick rinse in sea water just before putting the mask on, make sure the skirt of the mask seals well on your face.  No hair under the skirt. 

Now DO NOT exhale through your nose.  The sea water is cooler than your breath, and that warm breath will instantly form fog on the mask.

A very small puff of air while holding the top of the mask against your forehead to purge the occasional puddle that collects on the bottom of the mask, but that's it.