Hosted tables

JPH814

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

All of us, I suppose, were invited because of our status with the cruise line's loyalty program.

Definitely not the case, as we've received invitations on multiple Seabourn cruises, and we're still lowly Silver status.

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

In fact, on our recent Odyssey cruise we were invited (along with one other couple) to dine with the Captain in the TK Grill.   On that same cruise we also dined with the Chief Engineer, Staff Captain, Cruise Director, Lead Dancer/Singer, and a few others.

We had a similar experience a few weeks before you in the fall, Hank. But on those cruises with just over 100 passengers, I think they were eager to find anyone and everyone who would be willing to join the hosted tables! (Like you, we said yes to some and declined others.)

3 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Definitely not the case, as we've received invitations on multiple Seabourn cruises, and we're still lowly Silver status.

We had a similar experience a few weeks before you in the fall, Hank. But on those cruises with just over 100 passengers, I think they were eager to find anyone and everyone who would be willing to join the hosted tables! (Like you, we said yes to some and declined others.)

DW and I were just talking about that very issue.  No doubt the low numbers on those cruises favored those who wanted hosted tables.  But our first SB cruise was a 14 day Ovation voyage in Alaska where the ship was about 95% full and we were still invited to at least 5 hosted tables (might have been 6) even though it was our first SB cruise.  

By the way, I should explain our decline (since we are often too polite to say no).  On the July-Aug Ovation cruise in Greece it was very hot (often over 100F) and quite uncomfortable on deck in the evening.  We got an invite to join the Staff Captain (a wonderful Greek officer who seemed fine with the heat) for dinner on a formal night,...at "Earth and Ocean" which is a nice outdoor venue.   We were also invited to a pre-dinner party and I planned on wearing my Tux.  We knew the outdoor dinner venue would be pretty hot and humid and not where I wanted to be in a Tux.  So we politely declined.  Later on that same voyage we did dine with the Staff Captain at the restaurant and gave our personal apology for turning down that invite.  The Captain thought that was funny since he explained that he often preferred to dine at the outdoor venue, but that particular night it was too darn hot/humid and he was somewhat uncomfortable in his heavy dress whites. 

By the way, that July-August Ovation cruise had quite a few very hot days/nights.  Temperatures in Greece were often over 100F and it was a bad time in that country with the heat any many large fires/smoke.  The day we were in Mykonos was the hottest weather we have ever experienced in the Greek Islands (it felt over 100).  DW and I made the walk to the bus stop (not far from the windmills) and grabbed a local bus to a beach where the heat was not a big issue.  The temperature gauge inside the bus showed the outside temp as 114F (but that was likely caused by the direct sun).  When we took the bus back into town we had to walk about 20 minutes to get to the tender pier and we were soaking wet from the heat/humidity.  But it was a wonderful voyage.  And needless to say everyone was appreciative of the excellent A/C on the ship.

Hank

Hank 

• Like 2

I have no idea about some passengers being more important than others!

On our very first SB cruise we were invited on to hosted tables and we have always greatly enjoyed them. We do mention that we are happy to do so, and I always felt there were not enough guests to fill the hosted tables, as opposed to the other way round.   When the telephone rang in our suite at 5.30pm, it often was to invite us on a hosted table when someone had dropped out.

One highlight was was the Magician who had a show on the ship, who then performed a trick on me over dinner (I must be the gullible one!) and it was amazing (I still can't work out how he did it).    

We have dined with officers, entertainers, different crew members, Conversationalists, and it's always been an interesting experience.  We've met the most lovely and interesting people from all over the world and often caught up later on at another time on the ship.  

It has been my understanding that Solo Travelers are given priority for hosted tables.  

A simple call to guest services or a request at Seabourn Square will put  you on the hosted table list. We have been invited even when we have not requested to be on the list.  We enjoy several  hosted tables each cruise and always find it a pleasant evening.  

Edited by SLSD

We dont mind hosted tables so long as we are first choice. Quite often we will receive a telephone call late in the afternoon asking do we want to share a table?  We always turn the offer down, obviously someone has turned the offer down and they are looking to "fill" a spot.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fudge said:

We dont mind hosted tables so long as we are first choice. Quite often we will receive a telephone call late in the afternoon asking do we want to share a table?  We always turn the offer down, obviously someone has turned the offer down and they are looking to "fill" a spot.

I am just curious.  Why do you feel you need to be first choice?  I don't mind being called late. While we don't always accept a late invitation if we have made other plans, I just assume that a solo traveler has cancelled or someone else has made other plans  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

I certainly dont "need" to be first choice at all, I can take or leave invitations. I know that guest services ring around until they find a suitable replacement, thats our choice not to accept the invitation, it seems like a desperate move to fill a vacancy. 

Its always nice when you receive an official written invitation with plenty of notice, not a "can you please join us in a couple of hours time thank you".

Edited by fudge

Wow. Hit a few nerves.

I said the main reason is we don't like an early dinner which hosted tables always seem to be.

I am happy to dine with new ship mates but would prefer to do it because I have enjoyed their company already somewhere else. I have had the misfortune to be stuck with cruise bores in the past and certainly don't want to spend 2 hours with them over dinner. Each to their own.

16 minutes ago, Dunnedg said:

Wow. Hit a few nerves.

I said the main reason is we don't like an early dinner which hosted tables always seem to be.

I am happy to dine with new ship mates but would prefer to do it because I have enjoyed their company already somewhere else. I have had the misfortune to be stuck with cruise bores in the past and certainly don't want to spend 2 hours with them over dinner. Each to their own.

“The nerve” is simply that you make judgements about - are so sure you would not like - something you have admittedly never tried. 

After the recent posts, I will now return to my cave concerning my thoughts about hosted tables.  Please note that I have not sailed--yet--on Seabourn.  My experiences with hosted tables have been with Holland America Line.  

This thread has been a learning experience for me.  When I sail on a Seabourn vessel and I would like to enjoy the experience of a hosted table, I now know what I need to do.  Thanks for all who have contributed to this informative thread.  I appreciate your input.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When I sail on a Seabourn vessel and I would like to enjoy the experience of a hosted table, I now know what I need to do. 

A bit more information that may help re hosted tables. Check to see the amount of people at the table to be hosted. I find 8 or more difficult to converse at times especially if the table is in the middle section where it can sometimes be harder to hear. They also in the past sit partners away from each other, I'm not sure if this is still the case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

They also in the past sit partners away from each other, I'm not sure if this is still the case. 

My wife and I routinely share our dishes when we dine, so when we accept a hosted table, we try to arrive early and explain to the host that we would like to shift the placecards to be seated together. It may go slightly against what they are trying to accomplish by spreading couples out, but those are my terms for joining a hosted table. 😉 We still both spend most of our time conversing with others at the table.  

19 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

My wife and I routinely share our dishes when we dine, so when we accept a hosted table, we try to arrive early and explain to the host that we would like to shift the placecards to be seated together. It may go slightly against what they are trying to accomplish by spreading couples out, but those are my terms for joining a hosted table. 😉 We still both spend most of our time conversing with others at the table.  

I personally don't see the need to split people up because there may be various reasons ie hearing problems, a discrete hand with food if someone has a disability due to a previous stroke, etc. I think those who join the table are all willing to chat. Another reason I think they should keep the tables to no more than 8 or 9 if you include the host.

16 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I personally don't see the need to split people up because there may be various reasons

I agree, but that's no the way they typically set up hosted tables, where guests are intermingled. Perhaps if they know one of a couple needs assistance from their partner, they don't do that. But my point was that although they prepare the seating to separate couples, we have not had a problem re-arranging seating prior to everyone being seated. (It now occurs to me that I should simply make that request when accepting the hosted table invitation, but it never occurred to me before!)

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I do as well wherever in the dining room the table is located.  Round tables can be challenging; rectangular tables are impossible.  At least for me.  

In our experiences, you can't necessarily talk to people at the opposite end of the table, so your conversation may be limited to the 4-5 people closest to you. But that's generally not a problem.

• Like 1

Doesn't it all depend on how adept the 'host' is at drawing people into the conversation?

We've been on tables where it almost seemed like the host did not want to be there (very rare admittedly) and we've been on tables where the host has just been wonderful, making sure no one has been left out, making sure introductions are made and everyone is comfortable and having a chance to contribute etc.  

3 hours ago, Mauzac said:

We've been on tables where it almost seemed like the host did not want to be there (very rare admittedly) and we've been on tables where the host has just been wonderful, making sure no one has been left out, making sure introductions are made and everyone is comfortable and having a chance to contribute etc.  

I’ve been told in the past that certain positions (all entertainers, for example)  are required to host a table every X number of nights or times per cruise, so there are a small number who view it as an obligation for a variety of reasons, ranging from entertainers who are trying to watch what they are eating so that their costumes still fit to those who do not drink.  By their hosting rules, I’m told they  to “sample” the wine when poured (I’ve watched a non-drinking entertainer put the glass to their lips while never touching a drop) and have a course for every one that is ordered by a guest (we once sat at a hosted table where a couple added additional courses to the meal as our bird-like entertainer was served extra courses of consommé every time extra plates arrived that she struggled to pretend to eat).

There are other staff who live to host and will sometimes ask to host additional tables (some seasoned guests performers or lecturers, for example).  If you find yourself enjoying the personality of any entertainer or officer types ttat you meet around your normal course of ship activities and would enjoy a dinner with them, definitely mention to them that you’d enjoy joining their table if they are hosting later in the cruise.  They are allowed to suggest or request passengers for their tables and we’ve sometimes known a few days in advance which invitations to expect because the host has told us in advance.  

The other tip there… feel free to extend an invite in the opposite direction. Some staff enjoy having dinner with guests without the formality of the hosted table. I’ve had a couple of entertainers and staff officer share with me that they like the TK Grill but are only allowed to dine there if invited by a guest (and cleared by their supervising officer). 

• Like 4

I have been reading this topic with much interest and decided that you might be interested in my perspective.  I have been on over a dozen cruises as a Seabourn bridge instructor and guest host.   On most cruises of 16 nights or less, my husband and I would host 3 times.  It was more on longer cruises and there was one short cruise (10 nights) where the ACD assigned us guest hosting responsibilities every other night!

My standard process was to provide the seating hostess a list of everyone who attended either bridge lessons or the duplicate game. That way, the invited guest would know me and, usually, some of the other guests. I know that other bridge instructors didn’t do this, and the hostess was thrilled to get the names. (I was told that it was often difficult to find people who wanted to dine with the bridge instructor..🤷🏻‍♀️). 

Because the table was normally made up of people who had at least one interest in common, the conversation flowed easily and quite a few friendships were formed. We usually had such a great time that it was difficult to urge people to go to the evening’s performance (which is something guest hosts are asked to do). 

Occasionally, we had guests at the table who had nothing to do with the card game.  I made a special effort to make sure we weren’t just talking about bridge and I know the card players really welcomed the others. It was always a very enjoyable evening. 

Hosted tables can be really special.  One exception I found, though, was when it was the last night of the cruise. That’s a time when people want to eat with their new friends and the dining hostess is trying to bring people together who just don’t want it!  I made the suggestion a couple of times that they front load the dining with guest hosts/entertainers/etc. toward the early part of the cruise and not try to force it on the last night or two. I have no idea if this suggestion was ever implemented. 

I will be going - as a regular guest - on a Venture cruise next September. I am looking forward to being a guest at a hosted table…it will be fun to switch roles!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, worcestergal said:

I have been reading this topic with much interest and decided that you might be interested in my perspective.  I have been on over a dozen cruises as a Seabourn bridge instructor and guest host.   On most cruises of 16 nights or less, my husband and I would host 3 times.  It was more on longer cruises and there was one short cruise (10 nights) where the ACD assigned us guest hosting responsibilities every other night!

My standard process was to provide the seating hostess a list of everyone who attended either bridge lessons or the duplicate game. That way, the invited guest would know me and, usually, some of the other guests. I know that other bridge instructors didn’t do this, and the hostess was thrilled to get the names. (I was told that it was often difficult to find people who wanted to dine with the bridge instructor..🤷🏻‍♀️). 

Because the table was normally made up of people who had at least one interest in common, the conversation flowed easily and quite a few friendships were formed. We usually had such a great time that it was difficult to urge people to go to the evening’s performance (which is something guest hosts are asked to do). 

Occasionally, we had guests at the table who had nothing to do with the card game.  I made a special effort to make sure we weren’t just talking about bridge and I know the card players really welcomed the others. It was always a very enjoyable evening. 

Hosted tables can be really special.  One exception I found, though, was when it was the last night of the cruise. That’s a time when people want to eat with their new friends and the dining hostess is trying to bring people together who just don’t want it!  I made the suggestion a couple of times that they front load the dining with guest hosts/entertainers/etc. toward the early part of the cruise and not try to force it on the last night or two. I have no idea if this suggestion was ever implemented. 

I will be going - as a regular guest - on a Venture cruise next September. I am looking forward to being a guest at a hosted table…it will be fun to switch roles!

What an informative post!  Thank you for writing it.  

13 hours ago, jenidallas said:

The other tip there… feel free to extend an invite in the opposite direction. Some staff enjoy having dinner with guests without the formality of the hosted table.

Another informative post with a thought that I have never considered.  Thank you.  

On 2/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, rkacruiser said:

My experiences with hosted tables have been with Holland America Line.  

This thread has been a learning experience for me.

As with us.. We too would like to thank all that contributed to our education!

• Like 1

We've been on 3 Seabourn cruises (one on the Quest and two on the Odyssey), and the last cruise we took (Caribbean on the Odyssey last fall) was the first time we were invited to a hosted table (maybe because the ship was only half full).  We actually were invited twice on that cruise.  I had really been looking forward to being part of a hosted table and frankly was disappointed.  In both cases the "host" didn't make much effort to guide the conversation and there was little in common for conversation among the guests other than the cruise itself.  And even that was lacking since on both occasions, none of the other guests at the table had participated in any of the same excursions we had done.   The second dinner got me trapped with an individual who spent most of his time telling me in excruciating detail about all his health issues.  I finally pretended not to be feeling well so we could excuse ourselves before dessert.

I am not saying I wouldn't do it again, but I would certainly try to find out who else was invited to make sure there was some common areas for conversation.

14 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

We've been on 3 Seabourn cruises (one on the Quest and two on the Odyssey), and the last cruise we took (Caribbean on the Odyssey last fall) was the first time we were invited to a hosted table (maybe because the ship was only half full).  We actually were invited twice on that cruise.  I had really been looking forward to being part of a hosted table and frankly was disappointed.  In both cases the "host" didn't make much effort to guide the conversation and there was little in common for conversation among the guests other than the cruise itself.  And even that was lacking since on both occasions, none of the other guests at the table had participated in any of the same excursions we had done.   The second dinner got me trapped with an individual who spent most of his time telling me in excruciating detail about all his health issues.  I finally pretended not to be feeling well so we could excuse ourselves before dessert.

I am not saying I wouldn't do it again, but I would certainly try to find out who else was invited to make sure there was some common areas for conversation.

Here's the thing--there is never any guarantee that you will have anything in common with people you meet at a hosted table.  That's just the way it is.   Some table hosts are great at guiding a congenial conversation and some are just regular people who are just doing their best. And sometimes, fellow diners stymy all efforts.   We were once at a hosted table (for five--two couples plus the host) where the gentleman of the other couple could only talk about himself--and monopolized the entire conversation for the whole meal.  I am not offering any identifying info here.   Even his wife was unable to get in a word edgewise--never mind the host--who was one of the entertainers.  Mr. SLSD and I were totally nonplussed by this guy.  At the same time, we've talked and laughed about him often.  It was memorable!  He was a "BIG" personality who let us know in no uncertain terms that the UK was vastly better than the US.  I don't regret that evening.  It WAS an eye opener.  There is always something to learn.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Here's the thing--there is never any guarantee that you will have anything in common with people you meet at a hosted table.  That's just the way it is.   Some table hosts are great at guiding a congenial conversation and some are just regular people who are just doing their best. And sometimes, fellow diners stymy all efforts.   We were once at a hosted table (for five--two couples plus the host) where the gentleman of the other couple could only talk about himself--and monopolized the entire conversation for the whole meal.  I am not offering any identifying info here.   Even his wife was unable to get in a word edgewise--never mind the host--who was one of the entertainers.  Mr. SLSD and I were totally nonplussed by this guy.  At the same time, we've talked and laughed about him often.  It was memorable!  He was a "BIG" personality who let us know in no uncertain terms that the UK was vastly better than the US.  I don't regret that evening.  It WAS an eye opener.  There is always something to learn.  

Oh sure.  On our first SB cruise, we met up with a group of folks on the first day and ended up joining the group for many dinners, as well as group trivia.  And we were from all over, but enjoyed each other's company.  There was *one* guy in the group who was sort of a pompous ass, but we all just sort of laughed and/or ignored him.  Until the last night when he was drunkenly obnoxious, but even that is a memory DH and I laugh about.  

My issue is being at a hosted table where the host doesn't make much if any effort to guide the conversation or get folks talking.  DH and I made our efforts but it didn't seem to work very well.  We had two of those and it makes me reluctant to try another one.