RCCL still doing UK bookings

Mrs Miggins

I had occasion to call Azamara this morning since our TA tells me our 9.30 departure from LHR to Barcelona on April 16th has been changed to an 06.15.  There is a 10.50 departure arriving in BCN at 14.00.  My TA told me that this arrival is too late and Azamara won't book flights arriving after 12.30.   Very strange because the transfer to BCN from the airport takes around 25 minutes.  I called the 0344 number given on the Azamara booking page - but all recorded announcements are about RCCL.  I eventually spoke with someone who said I needed to talk to Reservations but they were not available until 08.00 EST.  The lady gave me a number to call starting 888 - I said no I am calling from the UK - she then gave me a number starting with +31 - I said no - eventually I was given +44 844 4934002.  Not sure about that and I tried it to be told calls would cost 7 pence per minute.

I generally book flights myself but went to Azamara because our B2B finishes in Venice and there is uncertainty about where it will actually dock.  Looks like Marghera Industrial but last year Azamara were going to Trieste and I didnt want to arrange my own transfer from Trieste to Venice Airport.

Any comments ?  We have previously taken the 10.50 departure when we have booked BA direct.  I had no idea about the arrival before 12.30 rule on Azamara.

Can’t really comment on the flights other than I would be nervous about a 14.00 arrival as it wouldn’t give much leeway if there were flight delays.

As regards RCCL doing the bookings I think that’s in transition, calls to Azamara on 0344 493 4016 presumably are still routed via Weybridge which is a RCCL office, and the recorded messages desperately need updating. Once you make contact with Wichita this appears to be under Azamara’s control and the agents are very knowledgeable. On a booking we made June 2021 on the invoice the booking agent is RCCL in Weybridge, but an October booking shows it as SP Cruises Ireland Ltd in Dublin.

There’s a post on Facebook about the length of time it takes to get through to Azamara U.K. and apparently bookings from the U.K. are the highest they’ve ever been and Azamara are trying to hire more Agents.

• Like 1

Pam, I'd be nervous leaving at 10.50am for a 5pm departure. I can totally understand why Azamara won't book you on that flight. In the (good) old days I remember when Azamara would fly you in the day before and put you up in a hotel. Those days are gone. When I've used Azamara air before and the flight is on the day of the cruise it's always been an early flight. 

Phil 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Pam, I'd be nervous leaving at 10.50am for a 5pm departure. I can totally understand why Azamara won't book you on that flight. In the (good) old days I remember when Azamara would fly you in the day before and put you up in a hotel. Those days are gone. When I've used Azamara air before and the flight is on the day of the cruise it's always been an early flight. 

Phil 

I remember those days, we had 2 great stays in Athens Hilton and one in a lovely hotel in Rome.  Decided to bite the bullet and go with the early, early flight.   Hope that we can board early too.  Actually the five o'clock departure from BCN seems much earlier than we have had before.  Wonder if Azamara still dock at  the World Trade Centre - I guess I may have time for a quick trot up the Ramblas if so.

27 minutes ago, BritishLandS said:

All the current invoices still refer to RCCL too which is odd. Not sure if this means we actually have a valid contract or not!

I think it is all to do with ABTA & ATOL bonding, as far as I can see SP Cruises Ireland Ltd was only incorporated in the middle of last year and obviously it would take some time to get their own ABTA & ATOL numbers. Until that point in the transition  RCCL provided their services as part of having a smooth operation.

To me it looks like all the bookings have been transferred to the new company as our original invoice for our May Onward cruise shows RCCL but the confirmation of final payment invoice is SP Cruises Ireland Ltd.

• Like 2