Snorkelling in Freeport, Nassau or HMC

1kaper

We want to do one excursion that involved snorkelling with our 7yo.  It would preferably involve sea turtles.   There is only one cruise tour available for his age through Carnival, so I am looking at private options as well.  
Any suggestions?

From what I’ve read/researched Deadman’s Reef at Paradise Cove in Freeport is your best option for easy snorkeling for a child. Here’s the website:

https://deadmansreef.com

They pick you up at the port and it’s reasonably priced.  If you book the Beachgoers package you can bring your own snorkeling gear. They also offer a snorkeling package. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, CoachTZ said:

From what I’ve read/researched Deadman’s Reef at Paradise Cove in Freeport is your best option for easy snorkeling for a child. Here’s the website:

They pick you up at the port and it’s reasonably priced.  If you book the Beachgoers package you can bring your own snorkeling gear. They also offer a snorkeling package. 

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, CoachTZ said:

I just wanted to pop back and thank you for your suggestion.  We ended up booking this and it was the highlight of our trip.  
I saw so many sea turtles, sting rays, eagle ray, so many fish and lots of coral.  

I highly recommend it for snorkelling.  For a beach break, not so much. 

The beach is small and the tide was out when we were there so it wasn't great for my 7 yo old to just swim.  We rented a kayak for him and I hired a guide for $10 who took me out past the breakers.  It was amazing. 

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I just wanted to pop back and thank you for your suggestion.  We ended up booking this and it was the highlight of our trip.  
I saw so many sea turtles, sting rays, eagle ray, so many fish and lots of coral.  

The beach is small and the tide was out when we were there so it wasn't great for my 7 yo old to just swim.  We rented a kayak for him and I hired a guide for $10 who took me out past the breakers.  It was amazing. 

Thanks again!

My husband and I went there in 2018 and had a blast! I loved the sea turtles! We're cruising with our kids (7 & 8 year old) for the first time in June to Nassau and Freeport, and I wanted to book it again but I was afraid they might not like it since I wouldn't feel comfortable having them swim all the way out to the reef so I appreciate your review! I'm definitely going to book it now!

1 minute ago, turquoise89 said:

My husband and I went there in 2018 and had a blast! I loved the sea turtles! We're cruising with our kids (7 & 8 year old) for the first time in June to Nassau and Freeport, and I wanted to book it again but I was afraid they might not like it since I wouldn't feel comfortable having them swim all the way out to the reef so I appreciate your review! I'm definitely going to book it now!

It didn’t go well at first. Haha. We almost left. 

He doesn’t like “seaweed”. To be fair, at his age I was terrified of it. And the tide was out so it was super shallow for awhile. It was also uneven ground and a little hard on the feet. 
he also heard the talk about fire coral and was terrified to hit it. So we struggled to get out to water deep enough to swim in and even then there were shallow spots. It was a bit of an ordeal. Lol. 

turns out we went in the harder way. We went in off the beach to the left of the bar (if you are facing it) and should have went in right in front of the bar. 

When we finally did get to swim, he swam along the man made reef balls then wanted to go in to shore. 

The tide might not be low when you go so not sure how deep it will be. But they have the kayaks and the other thing you lay on and can look in the water. And water belts. 

15 hours ago, 1kaper said:

It didn’t go well at first. Haha. We almost left. 

He doesn’t like “seaweed”. To be fair, at his age I was terrified of it. And the tide was out so it was super shallow for awhile. It was also uneven ground and a little hard on the feet. 
he also heard the talk about fire coral and was terrified to hit it. So we struggled to get out to water deep enough to swim in and even then there were shallow spots. It was a bit of an ordeal. Lol. 

turns out we went in the harder way. We went in off the beach to the left of the bar (if you are facing it) and should have went in right in front of the bar. 

When we finally did get to swim, he swam along the man made reef balls then wanted to go in to shore. 

The tide might not be low when you go so not sure how deep it will be. But they have the kayaks and the other thing you lay on and can look in the water. And water belts. 

Well it’s one of the few options we have in Freeport so Im going to book it anyway 😂 if they don’t like it we can leave and I won’t feel that bad because it’s pretty cheap 🤷🏽‍♀️

Question : if you book the snorkeling, is that also swim from the shore? What are the pluses of booking the snorkeling instead of the beach option. I was thinking of booking the beach option so we have chairs and then snorkeling on our own if it is the same as with a group. I feel like I am not thinking of something I should consider.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:55 PM, 1kaper said:

Thanks again!

I’m glad it worked out for you!!   The tide can definitely effect the water level. I recommended the Beachgoers package because chairs are included. Then you can bring your own snorkel gear. 

On 4/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, MarsMama said:

Question : if you book the snorkeling, is that also swim from the shore? What are the pluses of booking the snorkeling instead of the beach option. I was thinking of booking the beach option so we have chairs and then snorkeling on our own if it is the same as with a group. I feel like I am not thinking of something I should consider.

You can do that.  You can book that and bring your own gear or rent when you get there if you want. 

I must not have noticed that the beach chairs were included in the beach break. 
I may have cost myself extra money. You will have to do a snorkelling briefing before yoj can snorkel so you may want to just do that at the start in case you do decide to snorkel later.