Star Clippers Caribbean COVID Shot Policy Change - BE CAREFUL!!!

pbandjand2

Be careful with Star Clippers changing their COVID policy.  I was booked on a cruise leaving Barbados on 12 Mar 22.  They wanted proof of my COVID vaccine before they issued boarding documents. No problem. I’m vaccinated. I provided the vaccine card in late January.  23 days before departure, I was informed by my travel agent that Star Clippers changed their COVID policy and they now require that passengers must have received a COVID shot within 9 months of departure. This change was made without notice to currently booked passengers and without notice to my travel agent.  Their previous policy, which was in effect when my cruise fare went into penalty was you needed two doses to board, but nothing about the most recent dose being within 9 months of sailing. My second COVID shot was 10 months ago, so, I was told they would not allow me to board unless I got a booster. Problem is that 6 months ago, I developed a cardiac issue and I am under the care of a cardiologist. I can not get another of the currently available COVID shots due to my medical condition. Star Clippers has so far refused to give me a refund even though I was medically incapable of complying with their recently changed vaccination policy. I can not begin to describe how disgusted I am that they are treating customers this way.  Be very careful with them!  They will change policies without notice after there are penalties for canceling, and if you can’t comply through no fault of your own, you will need to fight to get a refund.  I have attached the policy that was in effect when the fare went into penalty.  You can see their new policy on their website.

Health___Hygiene_Protocols_On_Board_-_ENG_updated_Nov_2021_94425_2201191254(1).pdf

Your profile does not indicate where you reside. It is however, now standard practice in many EU countries to place a 270 day expiry on vaccinations unless a booster has been received. Star Clippers as an EU (Swedish) company are obviously going with the flow, probably because these entry requirements will apply in most countries which they visit.

As regards cancellation of your cruise however, I would have thought that as Star Clippers have made a retrospective change to their terms of carriage you would be legally entitled to a refund if you were for medical reasons unable (as opposed to unwilling) to comply.

We made final payment in January for an April Med cruise.  We were informed about the change when we spoke with the billing agent.  It's the Covid monster that is causing this, not Star Clippers.  We just returned from Exuma in the Bahamas.  We had to test 72 hours prior to arriving, 48 hours after arriving, and 24 hours before returning to the US.

Unfortunately, these things are happening more often now.  Did you have Trip Insurance?    

Edited by cluso

This is all Star Clippers. I reside in the US and am fully vaccinated according to the CDC.  None of the countries we are visiting have the 270 expiration on vaccines.  I could see the change if the countries visited had the 270 day requirement.  As far as I can tell, they don't.  You would think a refund would be a no brainer in my situation.  It isn't.  I tried to go through my trip insurance.  It doesn't cover a situation where the cruise line changes policy.  If I had gotten COVID myself and was therefore unable to travel, I would be all good.  

OK....  I am confused.   I read the "HEALTH & HYGIENE PROTOCOLS ON BOARD" document you attached... Then I went to their web site and downloaded the same (And the only mention of health protocols that I could find) document from there.  Neither one mentions a 270 day time frame.   So where is this written? 

I am not doubting you, but before I get into the same situation, I would love to get more of a firm handle on this.....

The following link is for a UK government website which gives inter alia a lot of useful information on entry requirements etc, not just covid related. Some of the content is UK specific, but most is universal.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Click the link for the country which you are visiting. Covid entry requirements are under the entry requirements link, restrictions once you are there are under coronavirus.

Edited by Denarius
clarification

On 2/21/2022 at 8:37 PM, FredT said:

OK....  I am confused.   I read the "HEALTH & HYGIENE PROTOCOLS ON BOARD" document you attached... Then I went to their web site and downloaded the same (And the only mention of health protocols that I could find) document from there.  Neither one mentions a 270 day time frame.   So where is this written? 

I am not doubting you, but before I get into the same situation, I would love to get more of a firm handle on this.....

New guidlines apply in respect of the EU as from 1st March

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/coronavirus/covid-19-travel-into-the-eu/

The 270 days limit on primary vaccinations is detailed in the section headed "Vaccinated and recovered  persons", which also makes clear that it does not apply to those who have had a booster. Individual EU countries may or may not elect to adopt the EU recommendations.

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

New guidlines apply in respect of the EU as from 1st March

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/coronavirus/covid-19-travel-into-the-eu/

The 270 days limit on primary vaccinations is detailed in the section headed "Vaccinated and recovered  persons", which also makes clear that it does not apply to those who have had a booster. Individual EU countries may or may not elect to adopt the EU recommendations.

Got it.....   So if you have  gotten your "booster" the 270 day restriction does not apply.   Things are just getting more and more complicated.....