Excursions not from NCL post COVID - anybody have experience with Shore Excursions Group?

cfelbab

I'm finally (God willing) getting back onto a cruise ship in April. We're scheduled on the Encore Panama canal cruise. Now that it is looking fairly likely to happen we went in to select excursions and sign up for them. One of the ports is Guatemala and NCL only has four options and none of them seem appealing. I am not sure if they had more and they are old sold out or if there will be more added later. But in the meantime, we looked at Shore Excursions Group and they have at least one excursion that looks interesting (goes to the capital city and then some hot springs). I am a little reluctant to book anything not tied to the cruise ship in these unusual times. I know that Shore Excursions Group claims that they have never not gotten their customers back to the boat but these are not normal times.

Has anybody here used this group for excursions since COVID and if so what has been your experience with them?

I use them a lot and had a great experience with an Electric Bike Tour through Punta Sur in Cozumel last August. I've used them for at least one excursion on all of my cruises and have never had a negative experience. You can sometimes get 10% off with a promo code too, and they're typically less expensive than ship excursions anyway and much less crowded. I've had many, including the one in August, where only my husband and I were on the tour! Nothing but a positive experience and full recommendation from me 👍

3 hours ago, cfelbab said:

One of the ports is Guatemala and NCL only has four options and none of them seem appealing.

Is one of them Antigua on Your Own (or something that will let you visit Antigua)?  If so, and if you've never been to Antigua, I highly recommend this.  Happy to give more details if this is an option for you.

Enjoy your cruise!   (And if you haven't yet read David McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas," please do, you'll appreciate the Canal that much more!)

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, Turtles06 said:

Is one of them Antigua on Your Own (or something that will let you visit Antigua)?  If so, and if you've never been to Antigua, I highly recommend this.  Happy to give more details if this is an option for you.

Enjoy your cruise!   (And if you haven't yet read David McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas," please do, you'll appreciate the Canal that much more!)

We'd be interested in additional details on "Antigua on Your Own"  I've seen that excursion, but would like details on what bto see and do in Antigua on own.  We're on NCL Joy,  Dec 2022

Thanks

Rich

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2022 at 3:26 PM, roboticscoach said:

We'd be interested in additional details on "Antigua on Your Own"  I've seen that excursion, but would like details on what bto see and do in Antigua on own.  We're on NCL Joy,  Dec 2022

Thanks

Rich

We are there Feb 23 and would also like more info!  I am unsure about doing something completely independent there, and would love to hear about someone's experience.

On 4/11/2022 at 3:26 PM, roboticscoach said:

Thanks

Rich

19 minutes ago, tiggrbaby said:

We are there Feb 23 and would also like more info!  I am unsure about doing something completely independent there, and would love to hear about someone's experience.

Antigua was the colonial capital of Guatemala.  The core area, where you will be, has interesting and historic buildings, ruins, architecture.   It is a good distance from the port and on a small road, which is why just about everyone will advise you to take the ship's transportation there.

There will be a guide on the bus who should tell you some of the history.  You will be given a map and told where and when to be back to meet the bus. (Pre-pandemic, this was at the Jade Museum, where there are also decent restrooms. 🙂)  You can also find maps and more information about Antigua on line.

It may sound a little daunting, but it's not.  You'll be walking around a relatively small touristed area.  Also, there are restaurants and cafes, and you can get a good local lunch.  Also, the ride there and back is pretty, as Antigua is surrounded by volcanoes.

We have been to Antigua twice on our own. 

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQY63qMXSwwf81rGDWd-AOGy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1519411685 

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQZOEwNdtnKBWFC5iBJ8UndK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1519411683

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQb73i5hB2lkW9vOjk-lJvWF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1543270496

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQY4phzIILc0SUkRRBAQPRsm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1519411682

(photos by turtles06)