What is going on with Scenic Cruises

mvjcruise

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Something Scenic should look at as I think the company they have used for many years has been taken over.

Interestingly, I just did a Google search for this subject and it came up with our posts in 2016! So, weā€™ve both experienced the good services of scenic transfers and I await confirmation from my travel agent, that they are still offering the same service, or I shall be switching to my own reliable local service.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:23 AM, Canal archive said:

Where in our wonderful world are you as in the U.K. your final documents donā€™t arrive until about two weeks or less before you depart and they may be emails rather than hard copies. Iā€™m sure all will be okay, the Douro cruise is wonderful helped along by the lovely Portuguese.

Ā 

We're we on the same Douro cruise starting April 28?!

Ā 

Nm. Just noticed yours was 2018!

Ā 

Martha

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound

On 6/25/2022 at 12:49 AM, setabt said:

My wife and I are signed up for the Scenic "Delightful Duoro Cruise" leaving from Porto, Portugal on July 11, 2022. We have not received any final documents from Scenic. When we go on their Booking portal we get a message that our trip is being finalized and the portal is not accessible. When we call Scenic we get a recording saying that one of their travel assistants will be with us shortly. Have waited up to an hour with no one picking up. This is our first trip on Scenic. Is this usual???

We are in the same situation, trying to get through by phone is impossible and they donā€™t answer emails!!!! Ā And yes unfortunately it seems to be usual but has got worse in recent times. They have obviously cut back on staff through covid and not replaced. Fortunately we do know that once you get on board the service is excellentĀ 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 4:19 PM, CJANDH said:

This has been a problem for months. Scenic's HQ is very poor at communication and multi hour waits to talk to anyone are common. We have just returned from a Scenic cruise on the Rhine and Moselle. The cruise itself was lovely; the onboard staff exceptional. But the weeks prior to the cruise were very stressful with no information on the status of the cruise when it was clear that the ship we were supposed to be sailing on was out of commission with a dead engine for weeks before we sailed. Eventually, a few days before we left home for the trip, we were informed that a switch in ships had been made and our trip was still on. They could have assured us of the plan B weeks before and eliminated the worry. But no. No response to frantic emails and phone messages from us and our TA.

Ā 

Despite a nice cruise experience, we will likely not book with Scenic again.

Agree absolutely! I will not recommend scenic or emerald to anyone

On 6/25/2022 at 3:23 AM, Canal archive said:

Where in our wonderful world are you as in the U.K. your final documents donā€™t arrive until about two weeks or less before you depart and they may be emails rather than hard copies. Iā€™m sure all will be okay, the Douro cruise is wonderful helped along by the lovely Portuguese.

And be aware, your email may send Scenic or unrecognized attachments into your Junk or Spam folders.Ā  Ours did.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pete_coach said:

And be aware, your email may send Scenic or unrecognized attachments into your Junk or Spam folders.Ā  Ours did.

Ā 

Ours also landed in the Spam folder.Ā  We had the double whammy that Scenic somehow had us in their booking system as a travel agent.Ā  So they kept sending us links to their TA portal--which, of course, we could not access to retrieve our documents.Ā  Had to do the 1.5-hour wait on hold (we considered ourselves lucky to get through in that time given what others here reported) to reach a Scenic agent who could send us our documents.

• Like 2

This morning I phoned Scenic to verify our transfers from the airport to hotel and then from the hotel to the ship were set up for our trip in early August.Ā  My call was answered in less than 10 minutes!Ā  The person I spoke with mentioned he had only been with Scenic for 3 weeks, but he seemed knowledgeable.Ā  Transfers are arranged and docs to be sent by UPS 8 - 10 days before departure.Ā  He indicated docs are going out timely.Ā  We may have to call back to have them emailed due to our early departure, we'll see.

Ā 

I hope today's experience means Scenic is getting back on track and catching up with their backlogs and staffing.Ā 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

We are on the Sapphire soon.Ā 

How many North American style electrical outlets are there?

Where are they?

None AFAIK. You'll need to bring adapters or converters, depending upon what devices you are taking with you.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

None AFAIK. You'll need to bring adapters or converters, depending upon what devices you are taking with you.

I am pretty sure there was at least one. Can't remember from our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise we did a couple years ago if it was in the bathroom by the light or near the little desk at the foot of the bed. We have a lot of adapters from doing lots of European trips.

BTW, We are in Ottawa too.

19 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

I am pretty sure there was at least one. Can't remember from our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise we did a couple years ago if it was in the bathroom by the light or near the little desk at the foot of the bed. We have a lot of adapters from doing lots of European trips.

Generally (at least in hotels), a North American outlet in the bathroom is just for an electric shaver.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

According to Scenic, the line's only river cruise ship with US outlets is the Eclipse:

Ā 

Ā 

A.Each Scenic river cruise ship is fitted with 220v European electricity outlets, but you will need a suitable European plug adaptor to use electrical items such as mobile phone chargers. Scenic Eclipse is fitted with American electricity outlets.

https://www.scenic.co.uk/faq/accommodation-queries

Ā 

Looking forward to a warmer day tomorrow here in the capital!Ā 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Where are they?

Confirming there are none.

They will provide several converters if you ask, but best to at least have one with you.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Where are they?

Ā 

I don't remember seeing any on the Jade.Ā  There MIGHT have been one--a shaver outlet--in the bath, but I always carry battery-powered tea lights to use as a nightlight so was not looking for one.Ā  In addition to the two round-pin European outlets by the desk/shelving area, there was one three-pin outlet--not sure if it was UK or Australian (or if they are the same).Ā  We brought a power strip (no surge protector) with a European plug that had space for three U.S. grounded plugs plus two USB ports that worked really well to charge cameras and phones plus power the laptop.Ā  We also brought an adaptor plug to use by one of the nightstands for DH's dual-voltage CPAP machine.Ā  (The steward provided distilled water for the latter on request--it came in a sealed 5-liter jug, which was more than enough for a one-week voyage.)

• Like 2

Don't know what happened with my previous post re Scenic reservations, maybe "Rogers outrage" was doing a number earlier than we thought.... hahahaha

I spoke with Iriana in Miami the other day. The call was answered quickly, and she knew her stuff. She was concise, and articulate. It was a pleasure making this booking with a rep that was customer orientated and knowledgeable. Kudos to Scenic for this employee!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

English are the same as Singapore and Malaysia or they were some years ago. Not like the rest of Europe at all.

Kenya and Tanzania also use UK plug.Ā 

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

European (and especially on the Sapphire) receptacles the 2 round pins or the 3 prong like in England?

Ā 

šŸ™‚ you're getting confused because you think England is in Europe.

A European plug has two prongs side by side with sometimes a hole between them and slightly above this is to locate the plug securely as the two prongs are sometimes just a little wobbly when pushed into its socket. The British/English plug has three ridged prongs.

7 hours ago, pontac said:

Ā 

šŸ™‚ you're getting confused because you think England is in Europe.

Not at all.

I do know though, that the UK is considered to be on the continent of Europe. UK is just not in the EU.

I asked "are European (and especially on the Sapphire) receptacles the 2 round pins or the 3 prong like in England? "