Upgrade to a balcony instead of full window??:

janb40

Doing an Alaskan cruise in September of 2022 and have large picture window (not porthole).  My husband thinks we should see if we can upgrade to a

balcony, but I wonder how much use we will get out of due to weather conditions?  Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

The balcony would still provide the same direct view as the large window if the weather is inclement, but would give you the option of having that private space to be outside in the fresh air with a broader view and place to sit to enjoy it otherwise.  Regardless of itinerary, we always book balconies for that reason.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

On 2/23/2022 at 3:47 PM, janb40 said:

Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Ashland and leaveitallbehind have provided you would good answers; I agree with them with one caveat.  It is a mistake to remain on one's balcony for long periods of time when sailing in a scenic area.  Being on an outer deck, fore or aft, provides a significantly larger viewing perspective.  Maybe your luck will be better than mine, but more often than not wildlife chooses to make an appearance on the opposite of the ship than where I am.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Ashland and leaveitallbehind have provided you would good answers; I agree with them with one caveat.  It is a mistake to remain on one's balcony for long periods of time when sailing in a scenic area.  Being on an outer deck, fore or aft, provides a significantly larger viewing perspective.  Maybe your luck will be better than mine, but more often than not wildlife chooses to make an appearance on the opposite of the ship than where I am.  

I don't disagree with your caveat at all, especially with an Alaska cruise.  My thoughts were relative to a large window in your stateroom - which would provide a more limited view and necessitate going to a public deck for an outside view - v a balcony which would at least afford that view more so than the window.  Besides, there is enjoyment in relaxing on your balcony regardless of the itinerary,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't disagree with your caveat at all, especially with an Alaska cruise.  My thoughts were relative to a large window in your stateroom - which would provide a more limited view and necessitate going to a public deck for an outside view - v a balcony which would at least afford that view more so than the window.  Besides, there is enjoyment in relaxing on your balcony regardless of the itinerary,

I understand.  For all of my Alaskan cruises when I first began visiting the State, I booked an outside stateroom.  Two reasons:  I expected to be out on the deck quite alot and for cost reasons.  After I started booking veranda staterooms for other cruises, I then began doing so for my Alaska cruises.  Indeed, there is an enjoyment factor in having a veranda.  For me, it's the ability to view the night sky in as much complete darkness as seems possible on a cruise ship.  

• Like 1

Thanks all, you may have me swayed to an upgrade (if available).  I do like privacy, and I do see myself snuggled with a blanket and a cocktail.  But then again I like to interact with folks so not having a balcony would definitely get me out of the room.   Going to have to marinate on this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We were given a balcony on our AK cruise, and we only used it once, for an hour or so, the entire 10 days.  We much preferred being on the open upper decks, or promenade deck.  The balcony made the cabin darker, and limited what we could see from in the cabin.  If I'm in the cabin, I much prefer sitting at the window, where I can see down, out, left, right, and up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The balcony made the cabin darker, and limited what we could see from in the cabin.  If I'm in the cabin, I much prefer sitting at the window, where I can see down, out, left, right, and up!

If you ever sail on QM2, given your preferences and reasons for an OV, don't accept an upgrade to one of their in-hull balcony staterooms.  You will hate it.

I wonder if the Carnival ships that have Cove Balcony cabins might be like the in-hull cabin that I had on QM2.  

• Like 1