Diving recommendations for Antigua?

Torfamm

We’ve just had some itinerary changes and with it cancelled diving in St. Vincent and Grand Cayman. Headed to Antigua for the first time on short notice. How is the diving there? Does anyone have any recommendations for a dive operator?

26 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

We’ve just had some itinerary changes and with it cancelled diving in St. Vincent and Grand Cayman. Headed to Antigua for the first time on short notice. How is the diving there? Does anyone have any recommendations for a dive operator?

I dived there several years ago.  Here are the issues:

The diving was good, but not great.  Then, there were no dive operators near St. John's (the cruise port).  We ended up going to one in English Harbor, which was a long way away.  On the operator's advice, we took a bus, which took far longer than it was supposed to.  The alternative would be a taxi for over $50.00 round trip. 

I've looked for better options, on more recent cruises with Antigua stops, and found even fewer dive operators than before. 

Harris

Denver, CO

52 minutes ago, omeinv said:

I dived there several years ago.  Here are the issues:

The diving was good, but not great.  Then, there were no dive operators near St. John's (the cruise port).  We ended up going to one in English Harbor, which was a long way away.  On the operator's advice, we took a bus, which took far longer than it was supposed to.  The alternative would be a taxi for over $50.00 round trip. 

I've looked for better options, on more recent cruises with Antigua stops, and found even fewer dive operators than before. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks so much for the information Harris. Heading out B2B2B on Saturday and had 4 ports cancelled overnight. It’s a bit of a scramble to reorganize. Do you have any thoughts on Nassau? I think that, Cozumel and Aruba are the remaining options. We still have one day TBD which could turn into Costa Maya. Hoping to make decisions now on 2 replacement dives rather than onboard

Ugh, cancelled ports are the bane of cruising in these times. 

Nassau: I've not dived.  The cruise ship excursions use Stuart's Cove, and that seems to be the only game in town from what I've read, but again I've no direct experience. 

Aruba: I always recommend Happy Divers Aruba.  Jeffrey there will take care of you for sure.  https://happydiversaruba.com/  

Cozumel, I usually dive with Aldora, but they are no longer working with cruise ship divers.  I've used Salty Endeavors, and they were good.  They had convenient options for pickup at docks near the cruise pier.  https://cozumelscuba.com/

If Costa Maya comes true for you, then you're in luck.  Gypsea Divers in Mahahual will be a fun day for sure.  It's a short cab ride from the port ($4.00 per person each way).  http://gypseadivers.com/

Harris

Denver, CO

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

Ugh, cancelled ports are the bane of cruising in these times. 

Nassau: I've not dived.  The cruise ship excursions use Stuart's Cove, and that seems to be the only game in town from what I've read, but again I've no direct experience. 

Aruba: I always recommend Happy Divers Aruba.  Jeffrey there will take care of you for sure.  https://happydiversaruba.com/  

Cozumel, I usually dive with Aldora, but they are no longer working with cruise ship divers.  I've used Salty Endeavors, and they were good.  They had convenient options for pickup at docks near the cruise pier.  https://cozumelscuba.com/

If Costa Maya comes true for you, then you're in luck.  Gypsea Divers in Mahahual will be a fun day for sure.  It's a short cab ride from the port ($4.00 per person each way).  http://gypseadivers.com/

Harris

Denver, CO

Thank you so, so much Harris.  You are an amazing resource.  I am very grateful that this is my big challenge today, but it is still a challenge. I appreciate you saving me hours of research.

38 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Thank you so, so much Harris.  You are an amazing resource.  I am very grateful that this is my big challenge today, but it is still a challenge. I appreciate you saving me hours of research.

I'm happy to help.  If you have trouble contacting anyone let me know by emailing usingthe link below  I've got everyone's WhatsApp. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Harris is a Cruise Critic treasure, to be sure.

I will add a good Cozumel option which I've used as recently as November: Dive Paradise. They were offering a Cruise Passenger departure on the Express boats at 10:00 a.m., but I just checked their website and that option doesn't seem to be any longer available.

In any event, they are only about an $8 cab ride away, and they will go out without a full boat. In November, it was just me and a buddy.

I dived with Stuart's Cove on Nassau through the ship. No other dive shop offers diving for cruise ship passengers. It's on the other side of the island from the port so there is a long drive but booking through the ship includes transportation.  The boat ride out is long and can be rough. it's pretty much a cattle boat. Lots of divers. The diving was pretty good though, saw lost of fish and sharks. 

I second Happy Divers in Aruba. The dive on the Antilla, a WWII scuttled german freighter was very good. Small groups, pickup at the port. 

Dive with Martin in cozumel. Get excellent reviews, and I just dived with a couple guys in St. Thomas who used them this past December,  and about 10 times before who highly recommended them.

Edited by mac66