TSA Pre-check

PasadenaDave

27 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It can definitely speed your way through Immigration AND Customs at ports. Immigration is always going to be the problem area, usually takes the most time . 

Recent switches to biometrics have smoothed this even further, but not sure this is being implemented everywhere.

Thank you 😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 11:08 AM, mchell810 said:

Both options are valid, making an appointment is the recommended method.  When you first try to make an appointment if there aren't any I suggest waiting a week and then checking back.  I did that for 2 weeks and then got a convenient time.  The "interview" literally took 5 minutes during which time you are fingerprinted, you show your ID/passport and your photo is taken.

We were fortunate recently.  I already have Global Entry, and I talked my wife into applying.  We hoped to have it in time for a Jamaica resort trip, but no luck. She got her provisional approval while we were in Jamaica,  but our local airport was booked through August.

When we went through customs/immigration in FLL, the officer noted her status, told her she could have her interview there. Thirty minutes later, it was all done, and she is now has GE as well!

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 9:09 AM, CruiserBruce said:

It can definitely speed your way through Immigration AND Customs at ports. Immigration is always going to be the problem area, usually takes the most time . 

Recent switches to biometrics have smoothed this even further, but not sure this is being implemented everywhere.

They told us when we returned last week that if can be used for any border crossing -- land, sea, or air.

They also said that, since it's linked to the passports, that the card wasn't needed for air and sea entry if you had your passports, but was needed for land crossings; however, I've read some anecdotal evidence that this isn't always the case, so it might be wise to do the "belt-plus-suspenders" approach and have both handy.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

2 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

They told us when we returned last week that if can be used for any border crossing -- land, sea, or air.

They also said that, since it's linked to the passports, that the card wasn't needed for air and sea entry if you had your passports, but was needed for land crossings; however, I've read some anecdotal evidence that this isn't always the case, so it might be wise to do the "belt-plus-suspenders" approach and have both handy.

Our experience at ports where there is a separate line for GE, that the card gets you into the GE line, as there is no visible evidence you have GE on your passport. It was that way at Port Everglades before Covid. It also helped getting into "known traveler" security lines for the same reason, again, pre Covid.

Again, the biometrics was used at San Diego for our recent cruise, not GE, and I understand that is being used more locations.

• 3 weeks later...

We are in Sacramento area and no interviews available at SFO. We return to Newark from Canada in September but only have 1:20 min transfers. Would we need to go to GE office to see if they will take a Walk In or does the Passport check facilitate this?

31 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We are in Sacramento area and no interviews available at SFO. We return to Newark from Canada in September but only have 1:20 min transfers. Would we need to go to GE office to see if they will take a Walk In or does the Passport check facilitate this?

At LAX they had three passport booths which they used for GE entry interviews which were done after one passed through normal passport review 

On 6/14/2022 at 4:24 PM, Tedferg said:

Update: We now have interviews set two weeks before we travel, so hopefully can expedite Customs / TSA when we return.

TSA has nothing to do with your return to the US. Global Entry helps you with Immigration and Customs, which is run by Customs and Border Protection. TSA is a part of Homeland Security.

38 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

TSA has nothing to do with your return to the US. Global Entry helps you with Immigration and Customs, which is run by Customs and Border Protection. TSA is a part of Homeland Security.

True, however the Global Entry covers immigration, customs, and TSA. The big problem we had previously was a long, long TSA line that caused us to miss our connection. So, GE including Fast TSA will be a bonus.

Z'Loth, amazing feed. We are 140 miles from San Francisco airport, our closest location. Previously they showed 'No Appointments at this location' and recently Sept opened up. Maybe they just look 90 days ahead and so Sep was not included. We leave on Sep 17 and have appointments Sep 3. They activate GE immediately after interview, so, hopefully we will be good to go. After scheduling interview, we got an email suggesting we use Enroll on Return at Newark. But that would not help because we need the fast access at Newark.

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

True, however the Global Entry covers immigration, customs, and TSA. The big problem we had previously was a long, long TSA line that caused us to miss our connection. So, GE including Fast TSA will be a bonus.

There is no "Fast TSA" as part of Global Entry.  You get POSSIBLE (though almost always) Pre-Check.  This has its own line, and often you will find it to be as long as the regular TSA lines - especially since everyone seems to be moving to Pre-Check.  (Just watch how many of those in the PC line take forever to get through the screening.  So much for use by frequent experienced flyers.)

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 10:30 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Our experience at ports where there is a separate line for GE, that the card gets you into the GE line, as there is no visible evidence you have GE on your passport. It was that way at Port Everglades before Covid. It also helped getting into "known traveler" security lines for the same reason, again, pre Covid.

We have our GE card envelope taped to the back cover of our passport. Only once did a custom/immigration officer say we should not have anything in our passport. I politely said thank you for the information - I did not know. I somehow keep forgetting to actually remove them and store/carry them separately - shame on me. 

47 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

We have our GE card envelope taped to the back cover of our passport. Only once did a custom/immigration officer say we should not have anything in our passport. I politely said thank you for the information - I did not know. I somehow keep forgetting to actually remove them and store/carry them separately - shame on me. 

Our GE cards live in their envelope clipped to the back cover of our passports...but if we are showing our passport, the clip and card are taken off.