Ambassador Baltic/St Petersburg

Kajojato

Hi Cruisers,

New to this Forum, so any information would be a help,  After 2 failed attempts ) 2020, and 2021) to sail on this cruise with C&M, (went bust)_ I booked on the opening day through an Agent for the Baltic Cruise & St Petersburg, 12th May 2022, Sadly owing to the current Ukraine war , the itinerary has drastically changed, just looks like a Swedish, sail ride ow, which is not of ay interest to me.   Also all the other cruises available (If offered are booked up).     The T&Cs on  Cancellations or refunds are a little complex. and I don't want to wait another year,,,,, any advice or assistance would be of help as Im having problems with the agents.

The removal of St Petersburg is a major change to the itinerary, so you would be entitled to a full refund if you don’t wish to book an alternative itinerary. If you’re having trouble with your TA I suggest you put your request in writing.

Thanks, received a call from the T/A.  today who contacted Ambassador, with revised  Itinerary, as I thought just put in 1 extra port, and overnight at Stockholm, (counts as 2) , they said definitely no refund offered only a transfer to another cruise. and 4 days to make up my mind., As the change from SP is only counted as 1 port. its not counted as a major change. according to the T&Cs...I`ve paid in full. This Cruise line has just 1 ship, and this is its maiden year,  so single cabins are fully booked, looks like no alternative but to accept....not very happy.   

11 hours ago, Kajojato said:

Thanks, received a call from the T/A.  today who contacted Ambassador, with revised  Itinerary, as I thought just put in 1 extra port, and overnight at Stockholm, (counts as 2) , they said definitely no refund offered only a transfer to another cruise. and 4 days to make up my mind., As the change from SP is only counted as 1 port. its not counted as a major change. according to the T&Cs...I`ve paid in full. This Cruise line has just 1 ship, and this is its maiden year,  so single cabins are fully booked, looks like no alternative but to accept....not very happy.   

You have already have some good advice. However, as someone whose career involved more experience of legalities than I would like...

The fact is that; when you bought the cruise you entered into a contract. As part of that contract you agreed that a significant change of itinerary would be missing out more than one major port for cruises of 16 nights and under. 

The T&Cs of all UK cruise lines are essentially the same.

Having agreed and signed a legally binding contract with conditions which are similar across the UK cruise industry, any solicitor is likely, in a free initial interview, to advise that you have no grounds for court action. 

If you go ahead on your own to the small claims court, depending on how much you're claiming, it could well cost you £115 just to enter your claim. If it comes to a hearing, you may well be asked to pay more. The judge would look at the T&Cs that you agreed to as part of the contract and... very likely... you would lose. No jury, no Kavanagh QC, no heroic pleas... just a plain simple decision made by a judge in his/her room or in an empty court. And... no refund.

Alternatively, you would need to take on a much bigger case and argue that the T&Cs use by the UK cruise industry are wrong. For that you need a solicitor, a barrister and buckets and buckets full of cash. The cruise line industry would be professionally represented....probably by a whole expert legal team... as this would be a "test case." If you lost... you would pay their fees and expenses as well as your own. It's not unknown for disputes about a few hundred pounds to carry on for years and end up costing hundreds of thousands in legal fees... while the plaintive, you, would get older, poorer but wiser.

But what would happen if you won? Well you would still lose money. If there was a judgement in your favour and if you were awarded costs... these would have to be negotiated using separate firms of cost solicitors and the opposition would end up paying 60% to 80% of what you had shelled on for your own solicitors and barrister. So if you spent about £2,500 on your cruise, went to court spent the very modest sum of £10,000 and "won" after two or three years and then wanted to claim your legal costs from the cruise company... you would, after further expense, receive between £2,000 and £4,000 less that you had spent. A pyrrhic victory.

If I was in your situation... I would be to come to an amicable agreement or accept the offer or simply walk away and move on. Life is just too short to waste it on aggro.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, Kajojato said:

Whilst I fully understand your disappointment at missing St Petersburg, the t's &c's of all cruise lines include the possibility of having to make changes to the itinerary. One port being changed is not considered a significant change by any of the major, mid-market cruise lines. Consequently, refunds are not normally an option.

There are still some lovely and interesting ports in your itinerary, so probably best to put it behind you and make the most of of seeing some lovely places.

Sadly, as a result of Russia's totally unwarranted aggression, the cruise lines don't have any other options at the moment. At the end of the day we are all lucky to be looking forward to cruises rather than fearing for our lives, loved ones and properties.

• Like 2