Walkability of ports with kids – San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego

Hi everyone – I’ll be taking my kids, ages 6 & 8, on a California costal cruise in April for their spring break.  We don’t have any excursions currently planned.  I was wondering how walkable the ports are with younger kids?  I was thinking to go to the aquarium in San Francisco – would it be walkable from the cruise terminal?  Anyone have suggestions for things to walk to in the other ports or that kids would really enjoy?  Thank you very much for any input!!

Edited by ltlqtgrl

All of these ports are walkable though Santa Barbara is a tender port.

My suggestion in SF would be to walk to the Exploratorium—a fantastic science experience—and skip the aquarium.  We were members when our kids were younger and went regularly.  Hubby and I still pop in and visit.  Afterwards walk to Fisherman’s Wharf for a treat (ice cream, donuts, etc) or lunch (In-and-Out Burgers is always a hit with kids),watch the seals, check out the crabs/pier and then visit the free (except if you buy tokens for the machines) arcade museum (https://museemecanique.com/).  Hyde Street Pier has some free exhibits to explore.  Top off the visit with a sundae at Ghirardelli’s.  You can also catch the cable cars if you’d like.  The line is sometimes pretty long especially during peak times (spring break, weekends).

San Diego is also very walkable but I would Uber to Balboa Park and explore the different museums/sights (based on what your kids enjoy) for the day.  Or, you’re really close to the San Diego Zoo.  Again, take an Uber/taxi.  You can take the metro train (couple of blocks from the pier) to Old Town. Touristy but my kids liked going there especially for the salt water taffy!  Port is close to the USS Midway and Seaport Village—for my kids it was once and done.  They preferred Balboa Park or the Zoo.

Visited Santa Barbara when my kids were teens.  We walked the pier, kayaked, visited the mission (which is not walkable) and enjoyed shopping so don’t have any recommendations for younger kids.

Enjoy planning!

• Like 4

Thank you very much for the information!!  

I was really hoping to visit the Exploratorium, but it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays and our ship is visiting on a Tuesday unfortunately. 

Thank you again for the other ideas, I really appreciate it!!

All very walkable.  SB isn't much near the tender port for kids.  If there's an excursion in SB of interest I would book it.  

In San Diego you could walk to the New Children's Museum  https://thinkplaycreate.org/  

SF maybe go out to Alcatraz if you think your kids might be interested in the history.  

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 8:11 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

All very walkable.  SB isn't much near the tender port for kids.  If there's an excursion in SB of interest I would book it.  

In San Diego you could walk to the New Children's Museum  https://thinkplaycreate.org/  

SF maybe go out to Alcatraz if you think your kids might be interested in the history.  

Thank you very much for the suggestions!!

I'm thinking to bring small travel carseats and then we can always call an uber to get back to the ship if the kids get too tired from walking too. 

While Old Town isn't my favorite spot in San Diego, you could take the SD Trolley from Little Italy or Santa Fe Station. The kids might enjoy the light rail ride since we don't have a lot of that in So Cal. Similarly in SF you can ride the F Street Streetcar or walk to Fisherman's Wharf and get a cable car ride.

In SB there is a trolley bus into Downtown, or you  could ride a city bus to the SB Zoo, which is a great little zoo.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, ltlqtgrl said:

I'm thinking to bring small travel carseats and then we can always call an uber to get back to the ship if the kids get too tired from walking too. 

I think you can request a car seat on the uber app.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The last I heard (Nov '21) Uber in LA did not have car seats.

She's not just in LA.  But who knows how things change.  There are inflatable booster seats that might work, but what a pain.  Just make them walk and take breaks.    

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

She's not just in LA.  But who knows how things change.  There are inflatable booster seats that might work, but what a pain.  Just make them walk and take breaks.    

Okay, how is this.....  I believe NYC is the only place that has Uber Family, which is where they have car seats available. It could have changed, but I don't think it is in CA anyplace. It was due to be rolled out before Covid, but I think the timetable was upset.

Thanks for the suggestions on the trolley/light rail/bus I'll have to look up the maps for them so that we can look into it!!

I haven't seen an Uber with car seats, and I'm not sure I would trust unknown car seats regardless.  The bubblebums aren't too bad and are pretty packable for a last resort if needed.  Fortunately my kids are pretty good about walking, but they are still on the young side and unpredictable things happen so I try to be prepared.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:42 PM, scottca075 said:

Okay, how is this.....  I believe NYC is the only place that has Uber Family, which is where they have car seats available. It could have changed, but I don't think it is in CA anyplace. It was due to be rolled out before Covid, but I think the timetable was upset.

I found another article that said they had been available in Orange County, but apparently locations aren't routinely listed in any single place.  https://www.tripsavvy.com/getting-car-seats-with-your-uber-3267670

https://www.uber.com/us/en/ride/car-seat/

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

On 3/9/2022 at 7:59 AM, ltlqtgrl said:

Thanks for the suggestions on the trolley/light rail/bus I'll have to look up the maps for them so that we can look into it!!

I haven't seen an Uber with car seats, and I'm not sure I would trust unknown car seats regardless.  The bubblebums aren't too bad and are pretty packable for a last resort if needed.  Fortunately my kids are pretty good about walking, but they are still on the young side and unpredictable things happen so I try to be prepared.

Or pack a couple of lightweight umbrella strollers.  When our kids were younger, we always brought a couple with us.  Life savers on numerous occasions!  They were (are still?) cheap enough that many times we donated them instead of bringing them home.

• 3 months later...